Cardfan, You Would Have Loved (Ahem) Geno Tonight | The Boneyard

Cardfan, You Would Have Loved (Ahem) Geno Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that SNY has not chosen to make the Geno Auriemma Show available for streaming -- people outside the viewing area are missing some vintage Genoisms.

On tonight's show, the interviewer asked him how he felt about the Stanford fans booing him last week. His response (approximately) was: "Well, you have to understand what they're dealing with. There they are, stuck living in Palo Alto, on an ugly campus, lousy weather, no prestige, a mediocre education -- and then they look up and see Connecticut, living in Storrs, great weather, competing with them for every recruit. That's a lot to deal with. I really feel sorry for them -- you can understand why they feel bitter."

At that point, even he could not restrain himself from laughing at his own words.

Reaction Score
Lol. Competed and beat him out for Appel and the O sisters. ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not to mention the S sisters and Ms. McCall, along with a number of others. Before last week's game, Geno mentioned that Stanford and UConn recruit the same type of player, and I really think he was being serious when he said that. I think he and the coaching staff generally are 100% serious about the players being serious about their course work. I also think that UConn's brand of basketball, like Stanford's, places a lot of emphasis on decision-making and executing offensive and defensive concepts, rather than specific "plays". That means that a more "studious" type of player (all else equal) would be strongly preferred over one whose talent was concentrated at the physical level -- in both programs.

I think players such as Breanna Stewart, Kiah Stokes, and Kelly Faris could probably meet Stanford's academic standards and would have done well in Stanford's basketball program if they had been recruited by Stanford and had chosen to attend. I also think that both sets of sisters would have gotten a fine education at UConn (albeit not as prestigious) and would have had equivalent prospects for their post-basketball lives and careers had they chosen to go east for their college experience.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The thing I find hard to get used to is the time. Got so used to the show being on before games I can't remember Friday at 10.
Gotta set the DVR darnit!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
The thing I find hard to get used to is the time. Got so used to the show being on before games I can't remember Friday at 10.
1. Rats, me too. Forgot about tuning in this week... but I see once again this week there seem to be a couple videos from the show (Prep for the ND game tomorrow, and Looking back at the 90 game win Streak) popping up at SNY's website (lower right corner) , where anybody can view, Here.
2. There is more video from the show Here.(Go to "Playlists" on the left side of the page, click "UConn" for the latest set of videos). The takeaway for me is, check this page from time to time, by clicking "UCONN" video. This includes video of Geno discussing the Stanford game. Hope some of that may help others like us who missed the show...

Reaction Score
1. Rats, me too. Forgot about tuning in this week... but I see once again this week there seem to be a couple videos from the show (Prep for the ND game tomorrow, and Looking back at the 90 game win Streak) popping up at SNY's website (lower right corner) , where anybody can view, Here.
2. There is more video from the show Here.(Go to "Playlists" on the left side of the page, click "UConn" for the latest set of videos). The takeaway for me is, check this page from time to time, by clicking "UCONN" video. This includes video of Geno discussing the Stanford game. Hope some of that may help others like us who missed the show...

I set the DVR for every Friday nite at 10 PM. The quality of the shows are excellent. Far surpass those on CPTV last year.

Reaction Score
They may have beaten us for a few but we did get the greatest player still today in the world out of Chino a few years back . They don't translate their recruiting wins over us into CHAMPIONSHIPS.!!!!!!!!!!!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Replay schedule:
Today (Game Day) 5:30
Tuesday 12:30

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that SNY has not chosen to make the Geno Auriemma Show available for streaming -- people outside the viewing area are missing some vintage Genoisms.

On tonight's show, the interviewer asked him how he felt about the Stanford fans booing him last week. His response (approximately) was: "Well, you have to understand what they're dealing with. There they are, stuck living in Palo Alto, on an ugly campus, lousy weather, no prestige, a mediocre education -- and then they look up and see Connecticut, living in Storrs, great weather, competing with them for every recruit. That's a lot to deal with. I really feel sorry for them -- you can understand why they feel bitter."

At that point, even he could not restrain himself from laughing at his own words.
While I do enjoy the SNY Geno show, I liked the CPTV format better. The questions from the fans, the way they did the commentary on the previous games, the discussion back and forth between Culmo & Geno.

Geno was a riot talking about Stanford's "shortcomings". One definite advantage for Uconn is that the weather is much more conducive to studying. It takes a lot of will power to study in Palo Alto. Plus in CT, you always have something to look forward to. Spring, summer, fall, winter. Each has it's own beauty and delight, and just when you're getting tired of the cold, or the heat, the next season is upon us. In Palo Alto, it's just the same old beautiful weather year around.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Heather Buck could start a tutoring program for Stanford players...however, I don't think Heather would be that high on their priority list...even though she fits the profile over 6'2"...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Heather Buck could start a tutoring program for Stanford players...however, I don't think Heather would be that high on their priority list...even though she fits the profile over 6'2"...
Stanford recruited Heather quite hard when she was in high school. I think UConn and Stanford were her finalists, as a matter of fact.

Reaction Score
Stanford recruited Heather quite hard when she was in high school. I think UConn and Stanford were her finalists, as a matter of fact.
Heather has a couple of national championships to go along with her degree. Something she would not have if she'd gone to Stanford

Reaction Score
While I do enjoy the SNY Geno show, I liked the CPTV format better. The questions from the fans, the way they did the commentary on the previous games, the discussion back and forth between Culmo & Geno.

Geno was a riot talking about Stanford's "shortcomings". One definite advantage for Uconn is that the weather is much more conducive to studying. It takes a lot of will power to study in Palo Alto. Plus in CT, you always have something to look forward to. Spring, summer, fall, winter. Each has it's own beauty and delight, and just when you're getting tired of the cold, or the heat, the next season is upon us. In Palo Alto, it's just the same old beautiful weather year around.

the weather in Palo Alto changes throughout the year. We aren't LA. :)

http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/california/palo_alto

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Well, there you go...I knew I was onto something...just underestimated Stanford's interest in her. Point is I think Heather is pretty close to a 4.0 average

Reaction Score
Well, there you go...I knew I was onto something...just underestimated Stanford's interest in her. Point is I think Heather is pretty close to a 4.0 average

here is write up on Heather on the Bootleg. Her final 4 schools were UConn, MD, Holy Cross and Stanford. Stanford recruited her, but I wouldn't say "hard" due to the staff knowing she wanted to stay close to home (word on the street and my sources).

http://stanford.scout.com/2/664430.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits