OT: - Capping college coaches' salaries discussed at congressional hearing | The Boneyard

OT: Capping college coaches' salaries discussed at congressional hearing

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dan Murphy ESPN Staff Writer Sept 15, 2020

A Power Five university chancellor and at least one U.S. senator say they are among those that believe the NCAA should limit the amount of money college coaches make.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"I think that is appropriate for college sports," (Rebecca) Blank (chancellor of University of Wisconsin-Madison) told the members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. "I think it is somewhat outrageous that the highest-paid employee in many states is their state university college coach."

So Dr. Blank is saying that what her university is doing is outrageous. The football coach at UW-Madison is being paid $3.75M. It's kind of like a member of the Apple board saying that executive pay is outrageous. I realize she doesn't actually set the pay of the coach, but she can exert some pressure. I wonder if she has tried to get her own house in order before lecturing others?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What the heck is happening to free market enterprise in this country? EVERYTHING in this country is worth what the market thinks it is. It's a shame we can't put a cap on the NCAA's arrogance, stupidity and old boy cronyism. This is simple. If you can't afford to pay a coach don't pay him. Get a coach you can afford. If the richer schools can afford the best coaches so be it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So Dr. Blank is saying that what her university is doing is outrageous. The football coach at UW-Madison is being paid $3.75M. It's kind of like a member of the Apple board saying that executive pay is outrageous. I realize she doesn't actually set the pay of the coach, but she can exert some pressure. I wonder if she has tried to get her own house in order before lecturing others?
I wonder if college chancellors and university presidents would be willing to limit their own salaries? Imposed pay limits are not a workable solution in any profession. And if salaries are limited, they will find a way to create other sources of compensation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What the heck is happening to free market enterprise in this country?
This example of economic ignorance hurts the country. What does NCAA football have to do with free markets besides nothing? The NCAA is a cartel. And I'm waiting for you free market guys tell me how it applies to the labor that the fans are paying to see.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This example of economic ignorance hurts the country. What does NCAA football have to do with free markets besides nothing? The NCAA is a cartel. And I'm waiting for you free market guys tell me how it applies to the labor that the fans are paying to see.
I see this as an example of free market trying to interpose itself within that cartel, into a closed system, and that cartel cracking down on its insertion. The supply of great coaches is low and the demand is high which has clearly driven up their value. We as the consumer have a simple choice, vote with our dollar or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What the heck is happening to free market enterprise in this country? EVERYTHING in this country is worth what the market thinks it is. It's a shame we can't put a cap on the NCAA's arrogance, stupidity and old boy cronyism. This is simple. If you can't afford to pay a coach don't pay him. Get a coach you can afford. If the richer schools can afford the best coaches so be it.
Yeah, the market rules on this one. The universities were the ones that escalated what they would pay for the coach they wanted, so it is a self-created problem if it is a problem at all.

The salary for work has never been based on some standard of what the societal value the work has. Teachers get next to nothing, talk show hosts a ton. Of course there are far more people who can be a good teachers than people who can be a a good talk show host. Plus talk show hosts and actors only get the big bucks as long as they generate bigger bucks for their employers.

As for coaching, I'm convinced that, with a few exceptions, there are plenty of coaches who don't make big bucks that are a good as their higher paid brethren.

Reaction Score
Can we cap what Congress is getting paid?.............;)
Thank you Charliebball. How many other organizations have the ability to set their own salary, health care, amenities, and take their families to exotic locales under the guise of "cementing relations", or "gathering information." Not to mention free cafeteria food, an indoor gym, and the ability to pass laws that will increase their income. And to be honest I think that Geno has brought a heck of a lot more money to the University with the basketball program than most of the people we have sent to congress.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Can we cap what Congress is getting paid?.............;)
It is?

YearSalaryPer diem/annumPercent adjustmentIn 2014 dollars
2009$174,000per annum2.8%$191,533

Thank you Charliebball. How many other organizations have the ability to set their own salary, health care, amenities, and take their families to exotic locales under the guise of "cementing relations", or "gathering information." Not to mention free cafeteria food, an indoor gym, and the ability to pass laws that will increase their income. And to be honest I think that Geno has brought a heck of a lot more money to the University with the basketball program than most of the people we have sent to congress.
They can't, per the 27th Amendment to the Constitution:
"No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of representatives shall have intervened."

I can assure you that on an hourly basis for hours worked members of Congress are being paid a fraction of what Geno is. And while I love Geno and I love WCBB, I care a $&^@ ton more that we have well paid legislators who decide whether we live or die and are arrested or live free than I care who directs five 20-year-olds to toss a ball through a hoop. All that low congressional salaries guarantee is that only rich people or folks with rich benefactors can afford to serve in Congress. I would imagine if we raised congressional salaries 5x-fold we'd have far more talented people seeking office.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, the market rules on this one. The universities were the ones that escalated what they would pay for the coach they wanted, so it is a self-created problem if it is a problem at all.

The salary for work has never been based on some standard of what the societal value the work has. Teachers get next to nothing, talk show hosts a ton. Of course there are far more people who can be a good teachers than people who can be a a good talk show host. Plus talk show hosts and actors only get the big bucks as long as they generate bigger bucks for their employers.

As for coaching, I'm convinced that, with a few exceptions, there are plenty of coaches who don't make big bucks that are a good as their higher paid brethren.
Yes, it is indeed self-created. Pretending otherwise is hypocrisy at its finest.

Also, you are correct, some very fine coaches make far less than some highly paid, but perhaps less successful, coaches.

That also doesn't change the factors in a discussion:
- Coaches salaries as the highest paid in their state - which isn't uncommon - is simply idiotic when you recognize that they are working for --- an educational non-profit institution.
- A not so well paid excellent coach expects better and better pay and pursues it from place to place. Yes this is free market. Yes, salaries are not determined based on the societal value of the position. But these are positions at non-profit educational institutions. Escalated beyond belief, IMO.
- Salaries of professors - actually performing the work of the institution - make generally far less. Salaries of the higher executives vary, and some are very high indeed, but at least they are (supposedly) directly furthering the mission of the educational non-profit institution for which they work.

Now - make the teams semi-pro, change how they are funded and "sponsored" by the college, and pay whatever you want.

Reaction Score
Something one of my English professors at WVU touted 40 years ago...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wonder if college chancellors and university presidents would be willing to limit their own salaries? Imposed pay limits are not a workable solution in any profession. And if salaries are limited, they will find a way to create other sources of compensation.

The compensation for coaches is often largely paid by boosters organizations. I'm not sure if the figures that are published always include that.

Rebecca Blank makes about 15% as much as the UWMadison football coach. It's also three times as much as she made as Secretary of Commerce.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The compensation for coaches is often largely paid by boosters organizations. I'm not sure if the figures that are published always include that.

Rebecca Blank makes about 15% as much as the UWMadison football coach. It's also three times as much as she made as Secretary of Commerce.
I am not surprised that the coaches make so much more than the academic leaders. And most qualified officials in government are underpaid relative to like skilled industry types. I think some coaches make way too much, but an imposed cap would be circumvented as you say. When my daughter played high school volleyball the head coach was exceptionally qualified, but being a coach in women's sports was paid far less than the "average on his best day" school football coach. So the boosters group arranged for her to be paid a bonus above and beyond her capped school district salary. Of course parents were asked to chip in , and most could afford to do so. But if that happens in a small suburban school in Alabama, I can't imagine the shenanigans going on at large institutions.

Reaction Score
It is?

YearSalaryPer diem/annumPercent adjustmentIn 2014 dollars
2009$174,000per annum2.8%$191,533

They can't, per the 27th Amendment to the Constitution:
"No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of representatives shall have intervened."

I can assure you that on an hourly basis for hours worked members of Congress are being paid a fraction of what Geno is. And while I love Geno and I love WCBB, I care a $&^@ ton more that we have well paid legislators who decide whether we live or die and are arrested or live free than I care who directs five 20-year-olds to toss a ball through a hoop. All that low congressional salaries guarantee is that only rich people or folks with rich benefactors can afford to serve in Congress. I would imagine if we raised congressional salaries 5x-fold we'd have far more talented people seeking office.
I'm not sure what you think is a fair wage scale but none of the members of congress from Ct. are on food stamps. And as for Geno's salary, for what he has contributed to the enjoyment and happiness of countless men and women in our state he has earned every cent. Every one is entitled to his or her opinion. I merely stated mine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom