Cappie P. retiring from the W | The Boneyard

Cappie P. retiring from the W

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Per her social media. No mention of overseas play.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Interesting that she said in her statement "I didn't expect to go out this way". Wonder what she means by that.

It's been clear the last couple of years that she isn't physically able to be the player she once was on a consistent basis. After a perfectly solid 15.3 PER in 2016, she dipped to 9.1 in 2017 and 10.8 in 2018.

Still, heck of a run and I enjoyed watching even the twilight years of her career that she spent with Chicago.

Reaction Score
My daughter was playing in an AAU tournament that she happened to be at. She was already in the W. Walked over to her and asked for a pic. Very friendly.

Reaction Score
Cappie is one of my all time favorite, I even named a cat I had Cappie. Will definitely be missed, but she has accomplished a lot in her basketball career.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Cappie was cool. She got a ball autographed (not for us, but for another RU fan that I think donated it to a fund raiser, but we were asked to be the ones to ask her) by Team USA (I don't remember the level, maybe University Games). Also posed for pictures (that was for us). This was at a "not open but not quite closed" team event in Boston. Among others, Geno was in the 50 person audience and the late Rene Portland was sitting behind us. Jim Foster was one of the head coaches, the Pan Am team was there as well, he sat and talked to Geno for a while.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Statement on the WNBA website:

NBA Deputy Commissioner And COO Mark Tatum’s Statement On Cappie Pondexter
April 16, 2019

NEW YORK, April 16, 2019 – NBA Deputy Commissioner and COO Mark Tatum released the following statement today regarding Cappie Pondexter’s retirement:
“Cappie Pondexter is one of the greatest players and fiercest competitors in WNBA history. She made her mark on the league with her vibrant personality and distinctive style, earning two WNBA championships and seven All-Star selections along the way. We expect more great things from her in whatever she does next and wish her nothing but the best.”

Quick pondering on Indiana Fever:

- Rely on the Mitchells (Kelsey and/or Tiffany) to pick up the proverbial slack.
- Wonder if all concerned had an inkling of this when Paris Kea was selected. Not that she's anywhere near Cappie, but she is also a 5'9" guard to join the Mitchells.

As per Cappie:
- 2,000+ points at Rutgers. Probably one of C. Viv's favorites if I had to take a guess.
- Two Pro championships.
- Gold Medalist for USA
- Virtually an iconic figure in this league with her scrappy demeanor and flair.

All the best!

Reaction Score
I’m sure she thought she had another year in the league so she could have a farewell tour like Tamika Catchings. It’s sad she’s going out without real recognition

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m sure she thought she had another year in the league so she could have a farewell tour like Tamika Catchings. It’s sad she’s going out without real recognition

Agreed. Unquestionably one of the best SGs ever. So much fun to watch. Was a Finals MVP (should've been a 2x Finals MVP), won 2 titles, several All-WNBA Awards and was a major standout collegiately at Rutgers. Probably the best player in program history. All the best to Cappie!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and a special person.

Pondexter: No 'regrets' retiring from basketball

"I'm going all over the world, my mission is to help every individual. If you need help, I'm available," she said. "That's my mission in life, I have to complete that. I was put here to be bigger than just basketball. I understand that now and [am] ready to take on the amazing things that will come from it."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom