Can't keep doing this | The Boneyard

Can't keep doing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can't keep spotting teams 20 point leads and then decide to start playing with passion. This isn't a problem that's just started because we"re undermanned, it's been going on since Ollie is our head coach. He simply never has them prepared to start a game, it's infuriating. Glad the young pups are playing with passion right now but it's going to end in a loss. You simply can't spot anyone a 20 point lead, let alone a good team.

Reaction Score
You can't keep spotting teams 20 point leads and then decide to start playing with passion. This isn't a problem that's just started because we"re undermanned, it's been going on since Ollie is our head coach. He simply never has them prepared to start a game, it's infuriating. Glad the young pups are playing with passion right now but it's going to end in a loss. You simply can't spot anyone a 20 point lead, let alone a good team.

Honestly I think it's just Purvis and Brimah more than Ollie. He called that TO 45 seconds into the game after that walk through layup and the team still didn't respond. Only thing I'd like to see is not put either of them in the starting lineup for the next couple games after this.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think it's just Purvis and Brimah more than Ollie. He called that TO 45 seconds into the game after that walk through layup and the team still didn't respond. Only thing I'd like to see is not put either of them in the starting lineup for the next couple games after this.

No, it's 100% on Ollie. They're always unprepared to start games in large part because they don't have the right personnel on the floor. Going with a heavy front court against Oregon was so obviously going to be a disaster that I can't believe he did it.

Reaction Score
No, it's 100% on Ollie. They're always unprepared to start games in large part because they don't have the right personnel on the floor. Going with a heavy front court against Oregon was so obviously going to be a disaster that I can't believe he did it.

He's dealing with limited options as far as lineup construction goes. I'll agree that Ollie should take Purvis/Brimah out of the starting lineup for the next few games and make them earn their spots back though. He definitely doesn't hold guys accountable the way JC did.

Reaction Score

Yes Ollie wants to spot the opposing team 20 points... can you tell me how you would prepare the team to start the game off right?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The second team in a row who is bombarding three's. Even tight defense and still going in. Seems another team shooting their load in the first half. Great comeback by the pups. Action Jackson is not doing bad at all. Needs to choose his shots better but nice step in from a freshman. Hard to believe our guys lose to Wagner.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If you only kept score in the first and last five minutes of a half, I am sure Ollie is the worst coach in the history of the sport.

Conversely, in the middle ten minutes, perhaps he is the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

Long story made short - his pep talks must absolutely suck ass.

Reaction Score
This is all on Ollie.

Reaction Score
Yes Ollie wants to spot the opposing team 20 points... can you tell me how you would prepare the team to start the game off right?
By putting a lineup on the floor that has a chance of being successful, by having your team prepared for what they are up against. This is years now where we aren't ready to start a game or start a second half. Years with not a single out of bounds play designed. If you aren't seeing his coaching flaws, you aren't watching.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Do we fire KO and BD in the same season?

Reaction Score
Firing Ollie is ludicrous with the dumpster fire like diaco in place. Ollie would have to murder someone to be fired. School can't even come close to firing both and if you want to get rid of one psych bob is in a category by himself

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I posted the stat a while ago but when Ollie goes into halftime losing our record is like 12-26.

The problem has been happening long before Purvis and Brimah were important pieces to this program.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Welcome to the "Moral Victory" season from here on out

Reaction Score
If you only kept score in the first and last five minutes of a half, I am sure Ollie is the worst coach in the history of the sport.

Conversely, in the middle ten minutes, perhaps he is the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

EXACTLY... Are they playing chess and drinking tea before they come out. Why aren't they slapboxing,

EXACTLY... what are they playing chess and drinking tea before the game. Slap box, snort drugs, blow some up...something to raise the blood pressure.. WTF

Reaction Score
6 games in and this season already sucks. This will hopefully be a foundational year to build on but it's really tough as a fan to muster any sort of enthusiasm for this team as they're just flat out awful for long stretches of time. No chance at the tourney without an AAC tourney win. Brutal

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
EXACTLY... Are they playing chess and drinking tea before they come out. Why aren't they slapboxing,

EXACTLY... what are they playing chess and drinking tea before the game. Slap box, snort drugs, blow some up...something to raise the blood pressure.. WTF
Are we playing chess, drinking tea, or slap boxing?

Please clarify and thank you for your interest in UConn Basketball.

Reaction Score
Have them go 3 v 3 prior to start of games. Best players showing effort start.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I would counter that Kevin Ollie is entirely capable of keeping doing this.

Reaction Score
6 games in and this season already sucks. This will hopefully be a foundational year to build on but it's really tough as a fan to muster any sort of enthusiasm for this team as they're just flat out awful for long stretches of time. No chance at the tourney without an AAC tourney win. Brutal
SMU has real power up front, please.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
UConn would basically need to go 19-5 to make the tourney. Or let's say 16-8 to make the NIT.

I don't see either happening. So let's root for the kids who will here next year to make significant progress.

Not throwing the team under the bus, this is simply reality for '16-17.

KO and staff appear to the among the best in halftime adjustments. Unfortunately they suck at coaching the first 12 minutes. Getting the team ready to play from opening tip would likely be the biggest single improvement KO could make.

Reaction Score
UConn would basically need to go 19-5 to make the tourney. Or let's say 16-8 to make the NIT.

I don't see either happening. So let's root for the kids who will here next year to make significant progress.

Not throwing the team under the bus, this is simply reality for '16-17.

KO and staff appear to the among the best in halftime adjustments. Unfortunately they suck at coaching the first 12 minutes. Getting the team ready to play from opening tip would likely be the biggest single improvement KO could make.

i agree, i think this team can develop and play a lot better come the end of the season but i dont foresee this team making a tournament.

I think we are basically seeing what we are gonna get out of brimah and purvis at this stage of their careers. I would have hoped Ollie had this team better prepared and not looking completely lost on offensive outside of Adams but i guess thats what we got.

Defense has to tighten up, way too make open looks for 3. And so many turnovers that were completely unnecessary, across the court passes or just not knowing where the opponent was and stripping the ball from us.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he's a great kid, but Facey has done absolutely nothing so far...Box score said he didn't even get a shot attempt and he's absolutely lost on defense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The perimeter defense is horrific.

The interior offense is horrific.

Our front court would make an excellent bench, but very marginal starters. Years into their careers, they still appear confused as to what they're supposed to be doing on a basketball court. They'd never see a minute over the likes of Souley Wane should he find a time machine. (Souley, please find a time machine.)

Rodney is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful kid. He is very talented. But basketball is not something for which he has an instinctual gift.

Speaking of instinctual gifts, the coaching....our rotations are frequently thrown on the court just because it is basketball and you have rotations in basketball so here is a rotation...and here is another one....and let's play these two people together because I don't know and, oh my, (*scowly face*), we just gave up another 20-2 run.

End result - this season will suck. We are gonna get pounded. Kevin Ollie may find whatever it was that got us through the APR season or he may remain the guy who looks like he has never seen a basketball game before.

If it's the former, we may at least find something to enjoy. If not, bourbon.

But I'll say this - I'm really pleased with the new players. Larrier, pre-knee explosion, is better than DHam. Alterique, pre-shoulder explosion, is baby Kemba. Vance Jackson is going to be terrific and Vital is much, much better than his ranking would have suggested. Shame that I think we'll likely have to wait until next season to see three of them again.

And finally, play a freaking zone already. We can't defend man to man and I am tired of seeing UConn die on that hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom