Can't help but be impressed by Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can't help but be impressed by Houston

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how people would react if they compared Sampson's first four years at Houston to Hurley's first four years here?
Won an NCAA game in year 4, Sweet 16 year 5, ? Year 6 - no tourney but ranked 22nd and reg season champs, Final Four in year 7.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Houston lost 7 of their top 8 scorers from last years Final Four team
They lost their 2 top scorers on this years team in December for the season
This team will appear in their 3rd Sweet Sixteen in 3 years. They beat a top Big10 team each year to get to the Sweet 16
Some "expert" BYer said a few weeks back when Josh Carlton was named All AAC 1st team that Houston is a mediocre team in a crap league.
Houston is heading to the Sweet 16 and Memphis was 2 points away from beating the overall #1 seed. The AAC is not nearly as good as the NBE top to bottom but Houston and Memphis would have been at the very top of the NBE
If Houston is mediocre where does that leave UConn?
Sampson is a great coach and should be in the college basketball HoF and probably the Basketball HoF in the future
'Houston lost 7 of their top 8 scorers from last years Final Four team'

(overheard from sampson's phone last year at 12:01, or whatever time it was first official to talk to transfers.... ring ring! 'yo josh, Houston. Houston? Houston. u in? Houston, im in')

(along the way, aac awards, stuff...)

'This team will appear in their 3rd Sweet Sixteen'
good move, josh. makin us proud.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Won an NCAA game in year 4, Sweet 16 year 5, ? Year 6 - no tourney but ranked 22nd and reg season champs, Final Four in year 7.
My question wasn't "how did Sampson do in his first four years at Houston?", I know what Sampson did. What I really want to see is how detractors on the Boneyard will spin or excuse one side while criticizing the other. The first three seasons for each were eerily similar (a strong argument could be made that Hurley did better in each, especially the NCAA vs NIT year three) with the year four difference being entirely a round one win by Houston in a very close game against SD State.

Yes, making the tournament each of the next four seasons, winning at least one game with a final four and two additional sweet sixteens is a hell of an accomplishment (JC can claim having done this only once, 2003-2006) but a lot of the criticism being cast at Hurley may be a bit premature.

On further review: if Hurley's first three years were six games under .500; NIT; NIT; many here would have called for his head the entirety of last spring and summer.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how people would react if they compared Sampson's first four years at Houston to Hurley's first four years here?
Well, yeah but Sampson didn’t inherit a weak team in a lesser conference and move to a better one. Do you know how hard that is to do? Ask Dan Hurley. He’ll tell you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom