Can't have your cake and eat it too | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can't have your cake and eat it too

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No, but it's a risk. KO and his staff has gotten commitments or brought in 6 top 50 players out of high school.

One had a promising freshman year, but got surgery for a chronic injury and was never the same player.
One left for the D League after a ho-hum career.
One had an injury history, barely played, and got hurt again.
One had an injury history, barely played, and transferred.
One decommitted extremely late in the process.
One is our starting PG and a developing stud.

That's a horrific track record among the guys you need to be hitting home runs on. Every recruit has some risk, injury being one flavor. KO has gotten burned badly, whether by injury or otherwise.

I'm not saying it isn't. Just that when you are recruiting a guy, if one injury scares you away, and that's all Durham/Gilbert had prior to commitment, then you are looking at a very select pool of players.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He had committed by then, no? Unless I'm misreading his post, Gilbert wouldn't qualify as having "multiple injuries" when we recruited him.

Honestly, I don't know what point he was trying to make nor am I trying to weigh on one side or another, but his statement that only Durham had a history of injury was incorrect. Gilbert had a serious shoulder injury prior to our recruiting him.

Just a simple statement of fact.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't know what point he was trying to make nor am I trying to weigh on one side or another, but his statement that only Durham had a history of injury was incorrect. Gilbert had a serious shoulder injury prior to our recruiting him.

You read it too fast. I said specifically: "We recruited one guy knowing he had multiple preexisting injuries. One. "

The only reason the statement wasn't correct was because Durham shouldn't have counted either.

Both Gilbert and Durham were committed prior to their second injury.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

A shoulder separation isn't a serious injury. Literally not one school who was recruiting him stopped because of it. Can you name one big time basketball player who's career was ended due to a separated shoulder?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Coach Ollie came in and smashed his "Ten Toes In" mentality into the team and fan base. It worked and won a championship in his second year.

What happened to "Ten Toes In"? Why aren't players buying in and willing to fight for PT among their brothers?
Too busy listening to their father coaches than their COACH and brothers.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
So he got one injury , we stayed with him. He then got another injury and we still stayed with him but he dumped us. Hopefully KO has learned a lot about recruiting these kids and their involved parents.
Not sure who dumped whom.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A shoulder separation isn't a serious injury. Literally not one school who was recruiting him stopped because of it. Can you name one big time basketball player who's career was ended due to a separated shoulder?

We should stay away from any player who has a sprained ankle too. Too risky.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
This is the third time Gilbert has dislocated his shoulder.

Once in high school, once in the Jordan Brands Classic and once at UConn.
Didn't gilber have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff?

Reaction Score
This is the third time Gilbert has dislocated his shoulder.

Once in high school, once in the Jordan Brands Classic and once at UConn.

Yes, but at the time he signed, he had one dislocation. This is a pretty common injury in many sports.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes, but at the time he signed, he had one dislocation. This is a pretty common injury in many sports.
Very common. Just look up Steve Pikiell's shoulder injuries at Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom