OT: - Canelo v Smith | The Boneyard

OT: Canelo v Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Anyone tuning in for this bout? It’s a somewhat interesting matchup, but I am more interested in looking ahead to what’s next for Canelo, especially with GGG fighting last night and looking quite good. The timeline would seem to be set up for a possible trilogy.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
GGG looked really sharp last night but not sure Canelo wants to face him again. He may not return to 160 lbs. We'll see.

Reaction Score
I RESPECTFULLY disagree on GGG. He looked old last night and no longer poses the threat to Canelo he once did. He seemed gassed as the fight went on. The power is still there and so are the skills but hes clearly slowed down. To be fair he is 38 so its expected. In a third fight i look for Canelo by stoppage. Im not sure he would beat Jermall Charlo at this point.

Reaction Score
Doubt he faces GGG next if he wins. He's probably not going back to 160 and GGG doesn't want to challenge himself and move up to 168.

Reaction Score
Man I really miss HBO's production for Canelo's fights and big PPVs in general. Showtime is the only other platform that can compare.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Canelo in full control now

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
These top English guys always lose against top notch North American boxers.

Reaction Score
Anyone tuning in for this bout? It’s a somewhat interesting matchup, but I am more interested in looking ahead to what’s next for Canelo, especially with GGG fighting last night and looking quite good. The timeline would seem to be set up for a possible trilogy.
Golovkin won the first two, no reason to do a third.

Reaction Score
Canelo looked scary, I don't think the other 2 Champs on this division have a chance against him. Maybe David Benavidez would be a challenge.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Golovkin won the first two, no reason to do a third.
Nah
I thought Golovkin would win before the first one but Canelo is just a much better boxer. GGG has one gear and when he goes up against a guy with skills like Canelo it doesn’t work.

i could see an argument for GGG based on volume (and nothing else really) in the first bout but second one he didn’t come close to winning.

Canelo waited until he was improving and GGG was declining. No need to do it again for that reason.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Canelo looked scary, I don't think the other 2 Champs on this division have a chance against him. Maybe David Benavidez would be a challenge.
I like Benevidez a lot. Would be very interested to see how that turns out with his size advantage and skill... but obviously Canelos skill is on another planet than anyone else right now

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Canelo looks good and was very impressive against a quality super middleweight. He may be the very best in the world right now.

I doubt there is a 3rd fight between him and GGG and at this point I would give Canelo the edge even though I think GGG got robbed in the first bout. GGG got a gift decision over Derevyanchenko though.

GGG looked very good in a bounce back. Definitely slowing down, but he is adding to his skill set at his advanced age. He still cuts the ring extremely well but we actually saw head movement from him and he was slipping punches nicely. A prime version of GGG would have eaten a lot of those shots and not moved his head especially against a guy like Kamil who did not have the power to concern him or anybody really. A prime GGG would have also gotten him out in the early rounds because he would have taken the punches to give some more.

Reaction Score
Love to see Canelo against Charlo or Andrade, can’t think of anyone else who has a chance.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He better retire soon, there’s a couple of top notch American heavyweights coming.
I’m not well versed in the young heavyweights. Who are the guys to keep an eye on?

Reaction Score
Nah
I thought Golovkin would win before the first one but Canelo is just a much better boxer. GGG has one gear and when he goes up against a guy with skills like Canelo it doesn’t work.

i could see an argument for GGG based on volume (and nothing else really) in the first bout but second one he didn’t come close to winning.

Canelo waited until he was improving and GGG was declining. No need to do it again for that reason.
GGG got screwed every which way. He won the first fight and then had to wait around for the second fight while Canelo got popped for Clen only to get robbed of another decision. Now he is too old and there's nothing to prove, we all know what happened in the first two.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
GGG got screwed every which way. He won the first beat and then had to wait around for the second beat while Canelo got popped for Clen only to get robbed of another decision. Now he is too old and there's nothing to prove, we all know what happened in the first two.
“We all”?
GGG spent the majority of the bouts swinging at air. Any person who has been in boxing without a stake will tell you Golovkin was outboxed in both bouts. Now, if Canelo was active enough in the first to get rounds that’s another story but by no means were either a clear win for Golovkin, so to say both were shows “we” are off base here.

Reaction Score
“We all”?
GGG spent the majority of the bouts swinging at air. Any person who has been in boxing without a stake will tell you Golovkin was outboxed in both bouts. Now, if Canelo was active enough in the first to get rounds that’s another story but by no means were either a clear win for Golovkin, so to say both were shows “we” are off base here.
The majority of people in boxing thought the first fight was highway robbery and most would've been okay with a draw in the second fight despite having GGG earning the decision with his jab and winning the second half of the fight. It reminds me of Leonard Hearns where the winner wasn't the real winner.

Reaction Score
GGG got screwed every which way. He won the first beat and then had to wait around for the second beat while Canelo got popped for Clen only to get robbed of another decision. Now he is too old and there's nothing to prove, we all know what happened in the first two.
If you go what other people say you don't know boxing, Ist fight Canelo showed off his defense 2nd Canelo showed off his offense. Canelo might have not won the first fight but how can have lost it if he wasn't getting hit or hurt by this so called devestator knock out artist? I mean Canelo threw almost 100 less power punches then GGG and yet landed more then GGG. The jab was the only thing working for GGG but thats because he's longer.

In the second fight Again Canelo landed more power punches, GGG threw over 500 jabs landing about 20% to boost his total punches but a jab is not the same as a power punch. I just don't see the highway robbery.

Reaction Score
If you go what other people say you don't know boxing, Ist beat Canelo showed off his defense 2nd Canelo showed off his offense. Canelo might have not won the first beat but how can have lost it if he wasn't getting hit or hurt by this so called devestator knock out artist? I mean Canelo threw almost 100 less power punches then GGG and yet landed more then GGG. The jab was the only thing working for GGG but thats because he's longer.

In the second beat Again Canelo landed more power punches, GGG threw over 500 jabs landing about 20% to boost his total punches but a jab is not the same as a power punch. I just don't see the highway robbery.
I go by what I saw, most people in boxing also saw what I saw.

Your post says it all...

It's amazing how much people today disrespect the jab. It's the best punch in boxing and people like you going into the fight thinking only way Golvkin can win by knockout is just dumb.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I go by what I saw, most people in boxing also saw what I saw.

Your post says it all...

It's amazing how much people today disrespect the jab. It's the best punch in boxing and people like you going into the beat thinking only way Golvkin can win by knockout is just dumb.
Still waiting to hear who all these boxing people are who agree with you since that seems to be the only argument you’re going with. Remember Stephen A Smith doesn’t count as a boxing authority.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
They were very close fights. I happened to score it for GGG in the first one and Canelo in the second - hence my angling for a rubber match. But I definitely wouldn’t use the word ‘robbery’ for either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom