Candid Coaches: Who was the best coaching hire of 2018? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Candid Coaches: Who was the best coaching hire of 2018?

Reaction Score
I personally think Mack is a little overrated. If Louisville had hired Hurley it would have been a landslide in favor of Hurley in this vote. Have to feel like there is some P5/ACC bias here.
I don’t know, his resume is pretty impressive. But so was Matta’s And Sean Miller’s at X, so it’s not like he had to rebuild anything. He still kept it going though. The problem is his teams don’t defend super well historically.
1077317F-08D7-4C89-AC4D-935ECD519EEB.jpeg

pj

Reaction Score
Matta and Sean Miller were very successful coaches at their next destinations too. Mack will be very successful at Louisville so long as they avoid sanctions. His 69% winning percentage at Xavier is not far behind Rick Pitino's 75% winning percentage at Louisville. Xavier has a good track record of finding coaches. His defensive record doesn't look that bad to me, at Louisville he should be able to recruit more athleticism and size than he could at Xavier and that will help defensively.

Reaction Score
"UConn was bordering on irrelevance as a national player and needed to get this one right or they could never come back. Hurley is a proven winner and will bring the life and energy back to that program that's needed."

This take nails it. So far Hurley looks like the real deal, but we need results on the court and on the recruiting trail or that threat of permanent irrelevance may come to fruition.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"UConn was bordering on irrelevance as a national player and needed to get this one right or they could never come back. Hurley is a proven winner and will bring the life and energy back to that program that's needed."

This take nails it. So far Hurley looks like the real deal, but we need results on the court and on the recruiting trail or that threat of permanent irrelevance may come to fruition.

I do find it a little amazing that you can go from the top of the pile (NC) to irrelevant in 4 short years.

Reaction Score
How did you enjoy the game?

I do find it a little amazing that you can go from the top of the pile (NC) to irrelevant in 4 short years.

You can’t if you are in the P5, but its pretty easy in any other conference. Still, basketball is a quick turnaround sport. We could have floundered for 5 more years and still come back with a great coach. That’s why Memphis never goes away. Even their basketball brand is big enough to be quickly salvaged with a good coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom