Candid Coaches: Who was the best coaching hire of 2018? | The Boneyard

Candid Coaches: Who was the best coaching hire of 2018?

Reaction Score
CBS Sports college basketball writers Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander surveyed more than 100 coaches for our annual Candid Coaches series. They polled everyone from head coaches at elite programs to assistants at some of the smallest Division I schools. In exchange for complete anonymity, the coaches provided unfiltered honesty about a number of topics in the sport. Over a span of two weeks, we're posting the results on the 10 questions we asked them.

Today's question is who was the best coaching hire of 2018? Not that we needed any more affirmation but it's always good to hear other coaches agree with the hire.

Chris Mack to Louisville: 32 percent

Dan Hurley to UConn: 31 percent

Penny Hardaway to Memphis: 14 percent

Tom Crean to Georgia: 8 percent

Kermit Davis to Mississippi: 7 percent

On Dan Hurley ...
  • "Perfect fit. East Coast guy. Dialed in with all those guys. He was successful in a lower conference that was trending on becoming a powerhouse anyway. Now he's at a program with more prestige, that has cache and history to it, and way more of a budget. Home run. Sleeping giant. It was the Kentucky, Duke -- they were a blueblood just five years ago. I don't see why they would not become or why they can't get back there."
  • "UConn was bordering on irrelevance as a national player and needed to get this one right or they could never come back. Hurley is a proven winner and will bring the life and energy back to that program that's needed."
  • "When you say best hire, it's UConn. Big-time school, big-time brand. They got some rich roots up there."
  • "It's a great fit, I think he hired really good assistants. He's such a fit for that region and style. I think he's exactly what UConn was looking for and needed."

Candid Coaches: Who was the best coaching hire of 2018 in college basketball?

Last edited:

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
It has to warm the hearts of Pitt fans to see Crean and Davis and not Capel.

I've had multiple Pitt fans, straight-faced, tell me that Capel will be better than Hurley and that they are glad that Danny turned them down.

I can't say enough how much I hope they go (even further) down in flames.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley nearly winning this poll was no surprise, by the way. Remember, after URI was knocked out of the NCAA tourney by Duke, Hurley vacillated for a few days between UConn and Pitt. The Huskies job -- if he lives up to the potential -- is the right pick. And Hurley took it for less money. Hurley was good right away at Wagner, then took some time to get Rhode Island to top-dog status in the A-10. If he'd stayed, they'd be the favorite in that league again.

But in moving, he still stays local and gets to fix something again. And as the reformed Hurley told me last season, one of his defining character traits is fixing broken things. You can't be so sure of every step you take, but Hurley's leaped into the UConn job and has the state of Connecticut brimming with anticipation.

Reaction Score
It always amazes me just how butt hurt Cuse and Pitt fans are (and it is especially those two) about Uconn's superior success. They just can not argue, 4 championships for Uconn vs 1 for Cuse/Pitt combined. COMBINED.

The only thing Cuse and Pitt can do is continue to state they are in the ACC, that is the ONLY thing they have over Uconn. Ya, Uconn got a raw deal in CR but otherwise I would not trade Uconn's success for Pitt or Cuse in a million years.

Uconn had two down years as of late but they will be back soon enough. And at least they did not go 0-fer in their conference like Pitt.

Reaction Score
I've had multiple Pitt fans, straight-faced, tell me that Capel will be better than Hurley and that they are glad that Danny turned them down.

It’s clear that it’s hard to recruit to Pitt. They probably would have been better off hiring someone who excels at the in game/coaching kids up type of stuff. That’s not to say Capel won’t, but he’s known foremost as a recruiter.

And ironically Hurley’s first class is going to blow Capel’s out of the water. Pitt has a decent chance at Wahab, but that’s the only top 100 kid I could see them landing. Disclaimer that it isn’t everything, but Capel is entering September without a single 2019 crystal ball pick.

McGowens was a nice addition for this year, though.

pj

Reaction Score
It’s clear that it’s hard to recruit to Pitt. They probably would have been better off hiring someone who excels at the in game/coaching kids up type of stuff. That’s not to say Capel won’t, but he’s known foremost as a recruiter.

And ironically Hurley’s first class is going to blow Capel’s out of the water. Pitt has a decent chance at Wahab, but that’s the only top 100 kid I could see them landing. Disclaimer that it isn’t everything, but Capel is entering September without a single 2019 crystal ball pick.

Pitt is the tweener school -- surrounded by B10 schools and unable to compete with them in the Midwest, in the ACC but off on an island and with no historical support in ACC-friendly south-to-Midatlantic coastal areas, having lost its connection to Philly, NYC, and the northeast that the Big East provided. Pittsburgh itself does not generate enough talent to sustain them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Pitt fans I've talked to are high on Capel because of his willingness to, uh, "invest" in the program

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Did they land that PG who originally committed to Nebraska?

Reaction Score
Did they land that PG who originally committed to Nebraska?
For 2018 yes. Not sure a reclassified 3 star from 2019 is going to be the answer anytime soon. That kid really can’t shoot either. McGowens is ready though. He was very good in the EYBL last year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Pitt fans I've talked to are high on Capel because of his willingness to, uh, "invest" in the program

I'm hoping to god he gets them sanctions in a few years. Would absolutely love that.

pj

Reaction Score

If they give me $3 mn per year I'll invest in their program too.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping to god he gets them sanctions in a few years. Would absolutely love that.
Yeah and when you get no commits is when the panic button gets pushed and cheating becomes an option. I won’t be surprised if it happens.

Reaction Score

Hopefully they are the same Pitt fans that were gloating at half time of the 2004 Big East championship.

Reaction Score
Hopefully they are the same Pitt fans that were gloating at half time of the 2004 Big East championship.

Worst fans on the planet. So arrogant for no apparent reason other than they are.
Remember the game where they were all over Khalid and he jumped on the table at the end (to Calhoun's dismay) to taunt the Pitt fans who had been on him all game?

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Worst fans on the planet. So arrogant for no apparent reason other than they are.
Remember the game where they were all over Khalid and he jumped on the table at the end (to Calhoun's dismay) to taunt the Pitt fans who had been on him all game?

My first ever CBB game. An older couple behind us told my Dad that he should be ashamed for letting his kid cheer for UConn... that ended well for them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Pitt fans are high on Capel, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does well here. In interviews I've heard with him, he comes across as very big picture, no BS, connected, focused but not insanely rah-rah. An underpromise and overdeliver type, IMO.

Reaction Score
I personally think Mack is a little overrated. If Louisville had hired Hurley it would have been a landslide in favor of Hurley in this vote. Have to feel like there is some P5/ACC bias here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom