Cancun | The Boneyard

Cancun

Reaction Score
Paige Beucker.png -3.jpg

Reaction Score
Not if you are a Yankees fan.
Really? Which one do you think is worse as a Yankees fan?

Growing up in NJ, my older brother was a Yankees fan. One day he informed me that I couldn’t also be one. He didn’t want his little brother copying him in everything. “Go get your own team,” he said. Naturally I chose the Mets — what other option did I have? It was 1969.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Really? Which one do you think is worse as a Yankees fan?

Growing up in NJ, my older brother was a Yankees fan. One day he informed me that I couldn’t also be one. He didn’t want his little brother copying him in everything. “Go get your own team,” he said. Naturally I chose the Mets — what other option did I have? It was 1969.
I was a total Mickey kid, several years ago at an art show i bought an oversized mock up of a Mickey baseball card that had his lifetime stats that still has an honored spot on a wall in my place

My wife, RIP, was not a baseball fan. She went to one major league game her whole life. It was 2 weeks after our wedding. The place, Shea Stadium. The result, Mets are no hit by Bob Moose of the Pirates. The month, Sept. the year 1969. It was a crazy day. The Mets and Cubs i think were fighting for first and even as the Mets were being no hit late in the game, the crowd went nuts when on the scoreboard the Cubs who had been leading, fell behind and lost the game. The no hitter was saved when Clemente robbed Wayne Garrett of an hr. It was pretty boring until late because it was only 2-0. Sadly, Bob Moose was killed in a car accident a few years later.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mantle was the man when I was growing up. He is still my favorite. #7. Saw him play several times at the old (original) Yankee Stadium.

Oldest son is a Yankee fan. His favorite player is Donnie Baseball - Don Mattingly. #23.

Oldest grandson's favorite player is Aaron Judge. #99.

As an aside - Poppa bragging rights - oldest grandson, age 15, a freshman, is playing both freshman and JV baseball at his high school. 2 JV games this week and 1 freshman game. 2 - 3 in both JV games playing left field. 1 - 3 in freshman game playing catcher. Won all 3 games.

Reaction Score
Mantle was the man when I was growing up. He is still my favorite. #7. Saw him play several times at the old (original) Yankee Stadium.

Oldest son is a Yankee fan. His favorite player is Donnie Baseball - Don Mattingly. #23.

As an aside - Poppa bragging rights - oldest grandson, age 15, a freshman, is playing both freshman and JV baseball at his high school. 2 JV games this week and 1 freshman game. 2 - 3 in both JV games playing left field. 1 - 3 in freshman game playing catcher. Won all 3 games.
Always a Mantle fan. I was a very impressionable kid when the M&M boys had their home run tournament. The guy I also liked was Bobby Richardson. He was kind of like the Nika Muhl of the NY Yankees.

Reaction Score

My first trip to Yankee Stadium was 1964, saw the Mick play, as well as Maris, Kubek, Tom Tresh, and many others. My dad and I went back in 1965, saw the Yanks lose to the White Sox 8-4, but after the game my dad somehow managed to get a baseball signed by the whole team, including new manager Johnny Keane.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My first trip to Yankee Stadium was 1964, saw the Mick play, as well as Maris, Kubek, Tom Tresh, and many others. My dad and I went back in 1965, saw the Yanks lose to the White Sox 8-4, but after the game my dad somehow managed to get a baseball signed by the whole team, including new manager Johnny Keane.
Sometime around then I took my first trip to Yankee stadium with my family. The one lasting impression for me was that I had never seen greener grass then when I first walked down the stairs to our seats. I came to idolize Mantle, just as my father once idolized Joe D and my grandfather once idolized Ruth.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sometime around then I took my first trip to Yankee stadium with my family. The one lasting impression for me was that I had never seen greener grass then when I first walked down the stairs to our seats. I came to idolize Mantle, just as my father once idolized Joe D and my grandfather once idolized Ruth.
I saw about 4-5 Mick hr in person. How about this. My parents were big Red Sox fans. I grew up in Hartford which was kind of a blurred Mason-Dixon line between NY and Sox fans. In those days i was a lot happier with my team than they were with theirs. I was also a Brooklyn Dodger fan except when they played the Yanks in the WS. I never became a Mets fan.

Rodon looking way better so far this year than last when he looked like a batting practice pitcher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom