Canadian National Team - Aaliyah Edwards (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Canadian National Team - Aaliyah Edwards (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Wow. She was the only player representative. :eek:
Probably had some Uconn reporters in the conference. And she is probably their most popular player.

Reaction Score
Wow. She was the only player representative. :eek:
Not exactly, FIBA has been interviewing a couple players per team after each game. One does an individual interview, while another will sit with the coach. I'm glad she got an opportunity to speak to the media though. She's very well spoken.

Reaction Score
Disappointing finish to the tournament for the team. Aaliyah seemed to be good for them. Had a positive plus/minus every game including +9 against Puerto Rico and +6 and +7 against Brazil.

Will she be going to the Olympics or to Storrs? Pretty good options for a 19 year old.

Reaction Score
The coach would like to be able to make four changes to the roster at least with Kia and the other two WNBA players Achonwa and Carleton as well as finding a way to get Kim Gaucher there, which would require allowing her to bring her baby:
Canada's Kim Gaucher facing difficult decision on path to Olympic dream - Sportsnet.ca

It is hard to know how the coach might integrate the WNBA players as I could see Carleton and Achonwa coming off the bench, but Kia is probably a starter. Aaliyah is probably safe right now, but outplaying Amihere in this tournament is a good idea as there may only be one frontcourt spot available after Ayim, Raincock-Ekunwe, Achonwa, and Alexander have their say.
Edwards did not outplay Amihere, btw

(I totally agree with what you said tho)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Edwards did not outplay Amihere, btw

(I totally agree with what you said tho)
Amihere played like the best player on their team and got better over the tournament. She has some incredible face up driving moves. I think Aaliyah was too cautious after game 1. Unfortunately, if they can pick only one for their Olympic team, I think Amihere locked it up.

Reaction Score
Amihere is probably a lock for the team. Their looks like their are a handful of players on the cusp of making the Olympic roster. Depends on Gaucher's decision and Achonwa's knee situation.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah, is eligible for the U 19 Canadian team ( She was 18 yoa at the
cutoff deadline in January, 2021 , so think of her as Canada's answer to the USA
having Caitlin Clark!!! (wow!! ) playing for the USA
under 19 team !!, which she is.). So, Ms. Edwards is the 30 minute player for
their team, great personal achievement , great international experience, and a chance to
BEAT(???) the USA team?? ( well, maybe not ). OH, CANADA!!

Reaction Score
Aaliyah, is eligible for the U 19 Canadian team ( She was 18 yoa at the
cutoff deadline in January, 2021 , so think of her as Canada's answer to the USA
having Caitlin Clark!!! (wow!! ) playing for the USA
under 19 team !!, which she is.). So, Ms. Edwards is the 30 minute player for
their team, great personal achievement , great international experience, and a chance to
BEAT(???) the USA team?? ( well, maybe not ). OH, CANADA!!

It's possible but it depends on whether she returns to Tampa and continues to train with the Senior team. I've heard rumours that they may not make final cuts for the Olympic team until they are in Japan.

She was in a similar situation when she travelled with the team to Belgium in 2019 for the qualifier that got them into the Olympics. She was the final cut losing out to Amihere.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's possible but it depends on whether she returns to Tampa and continues to train with the Senior team. I've heard rumours that they may not make final cuts for the Olympic team until they are in Japan.

She was in a similar situation when she travelled with the team to Belgium in 2019 for the qualifier that got them into the Olympics. She was the final cut losing out to Amihere.
Article assessing Canadian team Olympic roster

Canadian women's basketball team learns tough Olympic lessons after disappointing AmeriCup | CBC Sports

Pellington probably will be a victim of numbers in the guard position (with Kia Nurse and Carelton) but Amihere will almost surely make it, Hope Aaliyah looks at this as a challenge to diversify her game more in the post. If you always play with your back to the basket, you are at the mercy of guards who may not be able to deliver the ball in the right place. Amihere can work facing the basket and has some slick moves

Reaction Score

Canadian women's basketball team learns tough Olympic lessons after disappointing AmeriCup | CBC Sports

Pellington probably will be a victim of numbers in the guard position (with Kia Nurse and Carelton) but Amihere will almost surely make it, Hope Aaliyah looks at this as a challenge to diversify her game more in the post. If you always play with your back to the basket, you are at the mercy of guards who may not be able to deliver the ball in the right place. Amihere can work facing the basket and has some slick moves

I always bristle a bit when I read comments like, but I have to remind myself that the style of play most in the US may know her for is different from what I've seen. @eebmg, no offense has been taken here. I'm just using it because it's a common theme I've read in BY posts.

She can play from outside and drive like Amihere does. That's what she was expected to do when at Crestwood, and her highschool in Kingston. If you look up the Crestwood games on the OSBA YouTube channel, you'll be hard pressed to see her in the post for the majority of their games. Can she expand it, for sure. So can Amihere in certain aspects too.

From what I've seen, since U16 onwards, this is the first tournament where she's represented Canada and used in the post the way she was. Before then, it's been a mix of both where they could use more of her skills to keep the opposing defense guessing. I've been wondering why she wasn't provided an opportunity to do so during the tournament. I think both her and Amihere could have been an interesting 1-2 combo in that aspect.

Reaction Score

Pellington probably will be a victim of numbers in the guard position (with Kia Nurse and Carelton) but Amihere will almost surely make it, Hope Aaliyah looks at this as a challenge to diversify her game more in the post. If you always play with your back to the basket, you are at the mercy of guards who may not be able to deliver the ball in the right place. Amihere can work facing the basket and has some slick moves.

Edwards could play a little out on the perimeter if I’m not mistaken. Or at least she could in HS when I saw her play. Now her game is strictly back to the basket inside and I’m a little confused about that. When she got to UConn she was needed to play down low but I don’t think her game should be that at every level. I would really like her to stretch out a bit and face up and take bigger players off the bounce. She’s athletic enough to do so.

Reaction Score
I just think the Canadian coach had a horrible game plan and/or felt like they didn't have the PG skill to do an effective pick and role or entry pass to the post....

I saw some film and it appeared Aaliyah was there doing her work down low and no one could or wanted to get her the ball.... if I was her, I would have been thinking what the (insert expletive) every game and soon I'll be back to Storrs where there are real PGs..

Reaction Score
Edwards could play a little out on the perimeter if I’m not mistaken. Or at least she could in HS when I saw her play. Now her game is strictly back to the basket inside and I’m a little confused about that. When she got to UConn she was needed to play down low but I don’t think her game should be that at every level. I would really like her to stretch out a bit and face up and take bigger players off the bounce. She’s athletic enough to do so.
Aaliyah learned to play the high post and low post in UConn's offense. She sometimes got good low post position and finished with a post move. Not that many back to the basket baskets. More of a Karl Malone type game at this point in her development.

Probably could take it to the hoop more from the high post next year. Hope her pick and role plays with Azzi are as effective as they are with Paige.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
E526RqfUYAY_OGD.jpg

Reaction Score
Sounds like Aaliyah and team Canada have been in Japan since the 3rd of July. Natalie looks to be physically able to perform in practice. Hope they have a nice 5 weeks there.

E6RABJfWEAIlqLa.jpg

Reaction Score
Women's basketball team captain "Ayim" named Canadian Flagbearer and Aaliyah getting some hype going into the tournament.

The top 10 young guns to watch at the Women's Olympic Basketball Tournament

"The last time Edwards was balling in Asia a couple of years ago, she lit it up at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup, leading Canada in points, rebounds and efficiency. Now she is preparing herself for an Olympic debut. While playing at the FIBA Women's AmeriCup last month didn't go to plan for her country who finished an above-par fourth, it provided Edwards priceless tournament experience. The teenager is well known Stateside from her NCAA performances for the prestigious UConn and she looks set to form part of Canada's national team backbone for the next decade and beyond."

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom