Canada wins gold | The Boneyard

Canada wins gold

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is Fields still in college?

No. Fields graduated from UCLA in 2016. She was drafted by the Phoenix Mercury but she must have been let go at some point.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wondering how Team Canada would do against USA's U23 Team. The U23 team is talented, but looking at the Stats on the USA BB Site, the Bigs aren't getting many touches. USA Women's U23 National Team News. One of the articles I read, stated Team USA had 21 assists on 42 made baskets and they thought that was good. By Whose Standard? :) I guess the 21 assists can be considered impressive, but I don't when 42 baskets were made. The Box Score link are included in the game stories and they're a PDF file.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wondering how Team Canada would do against USA's U23 Team. The U23 team is talented, but looking at the Stats on the USA BB Site, the Bigs aren't getting many touches. USA Women's U23 National Team News. One of the articles I read, stated Team USA had 21 assists on 42 made baskets and they thought that was good. By Whose Standard? :) I guess the 21 assists can be considered impressive, but I don't when 42 baskets were made. The Box Score link are included in the game stories and they're a PDF file.
Actually by FIBA international standards that's not bad. The U19 team had 134 assists on 226 made baskets in seven games where Crystal was the PG and Tasha Harris was outstanding with 40 assists of the 134 with only 7 turnovers. U17 team from 2016 had 98 assist on 179 made baskets. Both of these teams bricked enough bunny layups that could have easily pushed the A/FG ratio to .666. A much bigger problem in youth basketball in general and USA basketball is the lack of ability to execute an on time on target post entry past. The guard play at U17 in 2016 was atrociously bad. For that team the next on time , on target post entry past for the US would have been singularly & noteworthy. As has been noted before this U23 team lacks a true PG but has many shoot first players. This is something to keep an eye on. Of course with A'ja Wilson out of the tournament I'm not sure who is going to be demanding the ball in the post either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No. Fields graduated from UCLA in 2016. She was drafted by the Phoenix Mercury but she must have been let go at some point.
From large portions of the game, I thought that Nirra had never learned to pass the ball.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From large portions of the game, I thought that Nirra had never learned to pass the ball.

Very true. In fairness to Nirra, she had been Canada's most efficient and most reliable scorer throughout the tournament (earning her the MVP award) but last night was not her best effort. She and the young point guard (Colley) looked a little rattled during parts of the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When the chips are down --you don't call the ghost busters--you call Kia Nurse---she will always answer that call. I'm so proud of this you woman I can burst. How to go Kia!!

To this point, Kia was in the starting lineup for Canada's first three games of the tournament and then was replaced by Jamie Scott for the final 3 games. Kia didn't pout, she cheered her teammates from the bench and was ready to play when called on. The same can be said for Langlois who was Canada's starting point guard in the 2014 World Championships and the Rio Olympics but came off the bench in the Americup games.

With the inexperienced guards struggling with the moment and the raucous crowd, the coach turned to Nurse and Langlois who delivered in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To this point, Kia was in the starting lineup for Canada's first three games of the tournament and then was replaced by Jamie Scott for the final 3 games. Kia didn't pout, she cheered her teammates from the bench and was ready to play when called on. The same can be said for Langlois who was Canada's starting point guard in the 2014 World Championships and the Rio Olympics but came off the bench in the Americup games.

With the inexperienced guards struggling with the moment and the raucous crowd, the coach turned to Nurse and Langlois who delivered in the 2nd half.
Thank you for this---I really do appreciate the update and great info.
Langlois--is she the same one who once played at Seaton Hall? (an aside, in the Northampton area of western Mass, a great bakery Langlois)--- Thanks again...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This has been mentioned before (probably by me) but if I'm a US college or even WNBA team with aspirations of building a major program then Lisa Thomaidis has got to be on your radar.
Her track record with the Canadian National Team since 2013 has been outstanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom