Canada loses, Kia Nurse wins.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Canada loses, Kia Nurse wins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - France is absolutely stinking up the place! Down 21 to Canada at the half having scored a total of 16 points! It looked like the first Q was as bad as France could play - trailing 15-8, and they proceed to give up 22 in the second while scoring only 8 points again!

Reaction Score
No substitute for experience and confidence gained. On to Gampel Pavilion.

For sure. Kia has struggled at times and has shown areas of her game that need Geno-work. But Stewie has struggled as well at the international level, against the size and experience of grown women. You can't get down on a high school teenager performing decently against the best players in the world yet give Stewie a free pass. Don't worry, be happy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thankfully the opportunities to fly speck an incoming freshman's game are drying up. Ironically the opportunity comes because she is the member of an international travel team. I realize that it is the drought in real basketball topics that spurs this, but to me some of the pronouncements about her game are harsh and largely unfounded. Her recruitment, late as it was, was an absolute coup and I enthusiastically look forward to Kia's career at UConn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kelly and Kia are awesome... Go UConn!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There have been a lot of thoughtful (and usually enthusiastic) comments about expectations, many comparing Nurse's potential to Faris's legacy as a tenacious defender.

But sometimes expectations for a high school player take a U-turn once they play at Gampel.

Case in point. Ashley Battle.

AB, a Pittsburgher, played HS ball at a prep school in West Virginia (Linley?), where she was, if anything, an offensive star. I recall Geno mentioning this. But we remember her career at UConn being as tenacious a defender as has ever worn a UConn uniform. She was Kelly Faris before Kelly Faris -- good on offense but off-the-charts on D.

So the expectations for Ashley (by the Master himself) were not fulfilled with precision but worked out to the complete satisfaction of the entire UConn family of coaches, teammates, and fans.

If something similar occurs with Kia, I'll take it.:rolleyes:

So will Geno.;)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
It's part and parcel of a message board to discuss and predict.

IMO all players have good and not so good games, just look at Dee and Maya, even Stewie is in a situation where she is sitting on the bench for long periods and then has to come in cold.

You can look at these situations in a number of ways but I prefer to look at them as opportunities from the athletes point of view. Trying to compare opportunities is difficult as the situations are very different. It's like evaluating a player who plays against lower level competition against a player who competes against the best. The players are also playing for different coaches and their roles are different. I wonder which coach is the most demanding :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

IMO all players have good and not so good games, just look at Dee and Maya, even Stewie is in a situation where she is sitting on the bench for long periods and then has to come in cold.

You can look at these situations in a number of ways but I prefer to look at them as opportunities from the athletes point of view. Trying to compare opportunities is difficult as the situations are very different. It's like evaluating a player who plays against lower level competition against a player who competes against the best. The players are also playing for different coaches and their roles are different. I wonder which coach is the most demanding :cool:
Good point - I posted on another thread about this, but just look at Gruda on France and on LA - completely different player and results

Reaction Score

View attachment 7055

Kia Nurse and her Canadian National team lost to Australia this morning 62-52 at the World Championship in Turkey. There has been much debate on the BY about how well or poorly Kia has played for Canada in the tournament. Here are 5 statistics that tell you all you need to know:

1. Kia Nurse is not just a member of the Canadian team, she started all five games at guard. In addition to starting, Nurse has played 109 minutes or 22 min/game. Two other players average 22 plus minutes and one averages 24 min/ per game. Her coach thinks she should be on the court. :cool:

2. Kia is shot 12-25 (48%) from inside the 3 pt line. The rest of the team is shot 47%.

3. In 109 minutes of play at guard, Nurse has 2 turnovers. The rest of the team has 76. ;)

4. Nurse had 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals and only 9 fouls in five games. Her 6.6 pts/game average is only 3 pts behind the team leader at 9.6 pts/game.

5. In Canada's two most critical games against Australia & the Czech Republic, Nurse had 20 pts, played 45 minutes, had 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Canada. Of all the players available for the National team, Kia Nurse is starting at guard and seeing major minutes in critical games. She is excelling at the number one goal for any guard, don't turn the ball over. She is scoring, rebounding, getting steals and NOT fouling. That would be great for any player, for one only 18 years old, that's remarkable. :)

Go Kia & go Huskies..!!
View attachment 7055

Kia Nurse and her Canadian National team lost to Australia this morning 62-52 at the World Championship in Turkey. There has been much debate on the BY about how well or poorly Kia has played for Canada in the tournament. Here are 5 statistics that tell you all you need to know:

1. Kia Nurse is not just a member of the Canadian team, she started all five games at guard. In addition to starting, Nurse has played 109 minutes or 22 min/game. Two other players average 22 plus minutes and one averages 24 min/ per game. Her coach thinks she should be on the court. :cool:

2. Kia is shot 12-25 (48%) from inside the 3 pt line. The rest of the team is shot 47%.

3. In 109 minutes of play at guard, Nurse has 2 turnovers. The rest of the team has 76. ;)

4. Nurse had 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals and only 9 fouls in five games. Her 6.6 pts/game average is only 3 pts behind the team leader at 9.6 pts/game.

5. In Canada's two most critical games against Australia & the Czech Republic, Nurse had 20 pts, played 45 minutes, had 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Canada. Of all the players available for the National team, Kia Nurse is starting at guard and seeing major minutes in critical games. She is excelling at the number one goal for any guard, don't turn the ball over. She is scoring, rebounding, getting steals and NOT fouling. That would be great for any player, for one only 18 years old, that's remarkable. :)

Go Kia & go Huskies..!!
I guess many will sleep better now. Thanks Dave.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I have been interested mostly in Fields play and at times she has shown great spells then was subbed out and at others her decision making was a little suspect, so until I get more feedback on what the goal of the coach was I won't have a full understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom