Can you Imagine This years team with Morgan Tuck? | The Boneyard

Can you Imagine This years team with Morgan Tuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
With all the early success achieved so far with this group of talent, I still find myself salivating at the Idea of Morgan still dawning the uniform and healthy for one final year... Sorry can't help myself..

To start with, she probably would have rested her knees in the off season and not injured herself
UConn would have extended their streak of being the #1 team in the country
Another Undefeated Season practically on Lock.. (Still very much Possible)
Uconn's win steak would go on like forever with next years class following
Morgan would be The first and only player to Win (5) National Championships
Kia Nurse would have been more relaxed with less pressure on her shoulder
Improved , Offense, Defense and leadership.. NPOY Candidate.. and on and on.. :)

Reaction Score
Yes, she would be in Naphessa way ;).
Imagine it with Stewie and Mojeff.. oh right that was last year. Sorry.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Yes, she would be in Naphessa way ;).
Imagine it with Stewie and Mojeff.. oh right that was last year. Sorry.
Stewie and Mo Jeff didn't have another year of eligibility remaining.. Tuck did :confused::)

Reaction Score
This team needs to forge its own identity and find its own way to win. With the big three that wasn't possible, and if Tuck stayed, as much as I like her, I think it would stunt the growth of this team.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
This team needs to forge its own identity and find its own way to win. With the big three that wasn't possible, and if Tuck stayed, as much as I like her, I think it would stunt the growth of this team.
Really in what way? Geno seemed to think differently and he is the brains behind it all.. And I'm willing to bet the players would also disagree with you on that one

Reaction Score
Really in what way? Geno seemed to think differently and he is the brains behind it all.. And I'm willing to bet the players would also disagree with you on that one
For the same reason Lou and Collier and Gabby all had to really step up this year and play new roles. Lou has said so herself in post-game interviews. If they still had Tuck the chemistry would be different, and Collier would still be a bench player and would not be going through the rapid transformation from bench player last year to one of the nation's best this year. The big three departing is akin to taking off the training wheels, and at this point this team has proven that they no longer need them.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
For the same reason Lou and Collier and Gabby all had to really step up this year and play new roles. Lou has said so herself in post-game interviews. If they still had Tuck the chemistry would be different, and Collier would still be a bench player and would not be going through the rapid transformation from bench player last year to one of the nation's best this year. The big three departing is akin to taking off the training wheels, and at this point this team has proven that they no longer need them.
Of course it would be different that is exactly my point.. It would be better... But no since lingering on what could have been.. In some ways it is no different that us wondering if EDD had stayed etc.. As far as transformation goes, Nonsense!! Geno is quite capable of developing multiple All Americans together, this would be no different.. those who practice best gets playing time.. the growth in Sophomores is just a product of being in the system a full year, as they have also said .. they were learning UCONN's system last year , this year they are more understanding and comfortable.. No different to Gabby in her So season.. And Finally who will be in BC and AS way next year? ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Morgan was a great player & leader for the Huskies, but I agree with everyone who suggest that her presence would have limited the incredible development of this current team, particularly Pheesa. IMO, Pheesa will be a better player than Morgan in the long run.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think this is a quite selfish thought experiment. While it may have incrementally helped UCONN's bottom line this year, we must keep in mind that Morgan's game had matured and was not going to improve any more. It is the job of a great coach just like a parent to let your student go into the world and pursue all opportunities.

I am sure Geno would leave the door open just like a parent would if she felt unprepared but she would never be more ready to enter the WNBA. Another year would mean more potential risk to her knees (even with a summer of rest).

Even if we had a down year as a result, I would gladly lead her into the real world f she is ready. This decision may pop up with Azure down the line and I would happily cheer her leaving if she learned all she can and her opportunities were waiting. That is what college is for.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I think this is a quite selfish thought experiment. While it may have incrementally helped UCONN's bottom line this year, we must keep in mind that Morgan's game had matured and was not going to improve any more. It is the job of a great coach just like a parent to let your student go into the world and pursue all opportunities.

I am sure Geno would leave the door open just like a parent would if she felt unprepared but she would never be more ready to enter the WNBA. Another year would mean more potential risk to her knees (even with a summer of rest).

Even if we had a down year as a result, I would gladly lead her into the real world f she is ready. This decision may pop up with Azure down the line and I would happily cheer her leaving if she learned all she can and her opportunities were waiting. That is what college is for.
I agree with you with all except the knee... WNBA is way more challenging on her knees and since there was really no break after leaving College, that placed her more in danger of injury... Rest is essential with bad knees.. Most players go oversees to make money in the WNBA off season, Morgan may be better off Playing overseas in turns of earnings and resting her knees when the WNBA is in full swing.. As Taurasi did a season ago, But I know that won't happen.. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree with you with all except the knee... WNBA is way more challenging on her knees and since there was really no break after leaving College, that placed her more in danger of injury... Rest is essential with bad knees.. Most players go oversees to make money in the WNBA off season, Morgan may be better off Playing overseas in turns of earnings and resting her knees when the WNBA is in full swing.. As Taurasi did a season ago, But I know that won't happen.. :)

That is a good point and I did forget with the Olympic year, the season opened really early. At the end, every adult needs to weigh all opportunities and risks and decide what is best. I just think that us UCONN fans have been given so much pleasure that our thoughts should be focused on what is best for her and not try to squeeze out some extra team benefits. On to the next generation and our job to train them to be the best players and people they can be.

Reaction Score
Yes, what might have been. But here are two other "mights," either of which would have made a similar difference--not as big a difference as Morgan of course--but which would have supplied the necessary firepower to give UConn far greater depth:

1. If De'Janae Boykin hadn't transferred. De'Janae was very tight with Pheesa and Lou, having played together on a national team, and they sort of all wanted to be at UConn together. Injuries slowed her down in high school and then of course in her disappointing semester at UConn. But by now, she'd be playing at a level not far from UConn's other wings, and Gabby and Lou wouldn't have had to play 40 minutes the other night.
2. Batouly Camara was originally recruited by UConn, but chose to go to KT. After a year, she changed her mind and now has to sit this year. Had she gone to UConn originally, she'd be playing now and adding essential rebounding and defense at the 5.

either of these players might have proved to be the margin necessary in the front court. In the back court, maybe Molly can develop enough to give Kia some rest.

Reaction Score

She already stated that she would go for more surgeries if necessary to continue her pro career. She is getting opportunities to test her post college life and earn some money. I think the decision was a win win situation for both her and UConn. Even Geno didn't know how this team may turn out and was surprised how quickly the youngsters took care of business. I think Geno is quite pleased now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Morgan was a great player & leader for the Huskies, but I agree with everyone who suggest that her presence would have limited the incredible development of this current team, particularly Pheesa. IMO, Pheesa will be a better player than Morgan in the long run.
Bold statement. And if she stays healthy, you may be correct.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Yes, what might have been. But here are two other "mights," either of which would have made a similar difference--not as big a difference as Morgan of course--but which would have supplied the necessary firepower to give UConn far greater depth:

1. If De'Janae Boykin hadn't transferred. De'Janae was very tight with Pheesa and Lou, having played together on a national team, and they sort of all wanted to be at UConn together. Injuries slowed her down in high school and then of course in her disappointing semester at UConn. But by now, she'd be playing at a level not far from UConn's other wings, and Gabby and Lou wouldn't have had to play 40 minutes the other night.
2. Batouly Camara was originally recruited by UConn, but chose to go to KT. After a year, she changed her mind and now has to sit this year. Had she gone to UConn originally, she'd be playing now and adding essential rebounding and defense at the 5.

either of these players might have proved to be the margin necessary in the front court. In the back court, maybe Molly can develop enough to give Kia some rest.
Especially in the game against Florida State, which to me is the best team we have played in this early season.. If they had high percentage shooters We would have probably lost that game by double digits..

Reaction Score

I think Pheesa is already a better player than Tuck was in her 2nd year. Pheesa main needs of improvement right now is her defense.

Reaction Score
I think Pheesa is already a better player than Tuck was in her 2nd year. Pheesa main needs of improvement right now is her defense.

Her defense is good. But she has been guarding taller and stronger opponents. She needs to get stronger.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, we needed Morgan in December 2014, or we probably don't win that game against ND (or in April 2015 or possibly even December 2015). However, it seems like adding new players like Crystal and enhancing the roles of our super sophs and juniors is making up for the loss of Morgan...so far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With Morgan the team would be undefeated and ranked #1= same as present.
Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie & KLS might not have grown up as much as they have done =less excitement about the future.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is a fun fantasy to visit, but I think it might actually diminish the joy this team is bringing right now. It would in some way have stunted the impact of every players on the current roster - fewer minutes, less responsibility, and 'training wheels' still in place. Greater expectations out of the gate from fans and pundits, and less wonder at the results to date.
I am content with what we have, and she seems really content with her decision. Added bonus due to her rehab - we get to see her around the team this year anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom