Can we use our bench, please?! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can we use our bench, please?!

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Geno did say in a presser that due to the injury situation, he treats some games like in the NBA in that if they lose, they just ask what's for dinner and maybe pair it with wine depending on their performance. So taking an L for the long-term benefit of the team might actually be okay. The problem is whether or not the net benefit is real or even measurable. Maybe the effects of a loss is greater than the possible benefit of using the bench more. I don't exactly know.

Reaction Score
Thankfully we won, but I'm sorry we need to use our bench. Not only because we are fatigued....but maybe...just MAYBE someone could provide a spark off the bench that we weren't getting for long stretches of time. Hmmmm?!?! :):):)

We need to keep our players fresh (and healthy) for the March run. Running them into the ground for an extra win or 2 along the way is not the way to go. Anyone else losing their mind over this at all??
Who on the bench is going to guard somebody? Who? What would they learn in a game like today? How about scoring!!!! This topic is j so lame. Caroline and Azzi are the bench to answer all of these questions.
B&C

Reaction Score
As far as the NCAAs, every team has almost a week from conference tournaments to the opening NCAA game, ample time to re-charge the batteries.
Nova came in having had 9 days off, played 7 players 20 minutes or more, only Siegrest with 40 and Olsen with 38 played more than 30 and yet which team made the plays when it counted? This team is incredibly mentally tough and I sure as heck would not like to be the one to tell them I am willing to lose a game or two because I think you are tired. Players play, they play to win, and there was not a Uconn player on the court too tired to do what it took to win that game.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous mentality. Every team in EVERY sport has bench players. They are vital to the team in more ways than minutes played. The experience of playing for a powerhouse, seeing packed crowds for every game and potentially winning a National championship is far more enticing for many than playing 40 min in an empty gym at a DII school.
It may be DII but you are playing, competing and not watching someone else win the championships. To me competing is way more important than winning. But I never won but always competed and that was fine with me.

Reaction Score
Thankfully we won, but I'm sorry we need to use our bench. Not only because we are fatigued....but maybe...just MAYBE someone could provide a spark off the bench that we weren't getting for long stretches of time. Hmmmm?!?! :):):)

We need to keep our players fresh (and healthy) for the March run. Running them into the ground for an extra win or 2 along the way is not the way to go. Anyone else losing their mind over this at all??
GKB.

Reaction Score
Like I said before if we take a couple losses who cares. Need our starters rested for the long run.
Obviously Geno cares it is what he gets (pain) and paid for. Wins and losses determine seeding down the road every game counts.

Has Geno ever played his bench?
Some folks are new to the program. ;) I will not re post what many have said above for those that think the talent available on the bench would have kept the team in the game.
It may be DII but you are playing, competing and not watching someone else win the championships. To me competing is way more important than winning. But I never won but always competed and that was fine with me.
This is why players are allowed to transfer and granted that right. This is not little league and everyone gets to play. You make a good point off topic of the thread, but that happens all the time. :D

Reaction Score
I am really glad I never had to coach a player that only play just to compete and I bet your teammates never knew that

Reaction Score
I am really glad I never had to coach a player that only play just to compete and I bet your teammates never knew that
Motocross and golf were my sports as a young adult. Didn't have teammates, maybe that is why I can't grasp the "watch not play" concept. But I understand your stance.

Reaction Score
I agree. It's mind boggling to think people would be fine with intentionally taking an L in a conference game. The players wouldn't want that. The coaches wouldn't want that. It accomplishes nothing positive and in the end will just be a negative in multiple ways. If players really need rest that badly then Head Coach Geno can and probably would do a few easier practices between games.

Besides, what does it say to bench players to essentially be like "we're just giving up on winning so it doesn't matter if you suck". :rolleyes: If you're a bench player, you should be looking at a game like this and thinking you want to be the next reliable player up who Geno can sub in when necessary.

This isn't like the later Stewie years where the starters can play 10 minutes and the game is done and dusted. The starters need to be out there and it will benefit them and everyone else in the long run. I bet if you asked any of the starting 5 if they had wished they'd sat out so they could be rested, they'd all disagree. They're all fiercely competitive. They want to be out there.
Has anyone suggested losing on purpose? Why is that even being imputed?

A coupe of weeks ago I suggested playing Amari and Ines in blowout games both to enhance their skills under game conditions, but especially to give starters breathers avoid tired legs, and fatigue. Posters opined mostly that a) it was more important to work on team chemistry; b) these are young players who weren't or don't get fatigued; c) Ines and Amari are lost/a liability when on the court. i believe I lost that argument back then and would probably lose it again now.

The fact remains the team is tired and Geno acknowledged it in today's post game presser. In the current circumstances, what is the solution? To be sure "Trust in Geno" but if that's the only response, why do we bother to have these Boneyard discussions?

Reaction Score

A coupe of weeks ago I suggested playing Amari and Ines in blowout games both to enhance their skills under game conditions, but especially to give starters breathers avoid tired legs, and fatigue. Posters opined mostly that a) it was more important to work on team chemistry; b) these are young players who weren't or don't get fatigued; c) Ines and Amari are lost/a liability when on the court. i believe I lost that argument back then and would probably lose it again now.

The fact remains the team is tired and Geno acknowledged it in today's post game presser. In the current circumstances, what is the solution? To be sure "Trust in Geno" but if that's the only response, why do we bother to have these Boneyard discussions?
I for one, would never fall back on “Trust in Geno”. I just think the tired factor, while real, does not necessitate playing unproven reserves in a game like today. Nova was very well rested coming in, played more players less minutes, yet Uconn outplayed them down the stretch.
As for blowouts, I think Auriemma is sticking to his “you earn minutes, they are not given” philosophy, which one may disagree with but that certainly is his prerogative.

Reaction Score
You're all but losing on purpose if you sit the starters for the bench in a close game when there's a very obvious talent drop-off right now.

Although occasionally the bench has given moments of brilliance, unfortunately they have not been consistent enough. And honestly they would get ripped to shreds by fans for it if they were put in the game and UConn ended up losing.

Reaction Score
And I played DIII field hockey and never won but always competed and that was fine for me too. But not everyone wants to do that. If I was good enough to play on UConn's field hockey team (even as a backup) and get a chance to maybe win a title I would have jumped at that. Competing is fun. Winning at the highest college level is also fun. Different strokes.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Maybe the question should not be can we use our bench please, but can our bench give us some consistent quality minutes please. I was hoping for better from Ayanna and Amari by this point in the season.
I think that this is what many of us really want. I like every single player, want to see everyone contribute but it isn't happening yet.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Ines did some crucial work in the Princeton game and in the MD game so I think Geno could have started the second quarter with a couple minutes for Lou to think about things and talk strategy with a coach. Then when Lou comes back give a couple minutes to Patterson for Aubrey. I think I might have tried some high post to post passing for Amari to get over the scrappy guard crap clogging the paint. There are options for a minute here or there in my opinion. That could have given Aaliyah a minute to watch and regroup. If anything, a new body to take a foul or two.

He is too nervous to give them a chance and thinks the starters need to work it out.... I think it would be interesting if CD had the subbing power and Geno had the on court strategy power.....he would just have to work with what CD put on the floor for him.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
What's your choice? Sub in a nail-biter of a game against a tough opponent or win the game. Which way do you want it it. They weren't playing a team they were beating by 30-40 today.
I’m not a coach and have never pretended that I am one. And I really have trouble double guessing Geno’s decision making. But in this case, I generally agree with Rings’ perspective.

Against Tennessee we had a 16 point 1st quarter lead that just about vanished in the 2nd quarter. Sure, the 180 degree turnaround in how the game was officiated played a part, but if I’m not mistaken, didn’t Geno also attribute fatigue throughout the 2nd quarter as a factor?

He’s also talked about the gauntlet of 5 games in 11 days. And it’s more than just games to be played. It’s the back and forth between home and away games and the toll travel takes. And yeah, they still have to study.

Okay, I’ll just take my licks now!

Reaction Score
You're all but losing on purpose if you sit the starters for the bench in a close game when there's a very obvious talent drop-off right now.

Although occasionally the bench has given moments of brilliance, unfortunately they have not been consistent enough. And honestly they would get ripped to shreds by fans for it if they were put in the game and UConn ended up losing.
"You're all but losing on purpose if you sit the starters for the bench in a close game when there's a very obvious talent drop-off right now." Let's at least agree that's a personal definition, to which others - myself included - do not subscribe!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Geno's postgame comments after the Tennessee game are relevant here. What he said was roughly as follows: "Our starters got tired in the second quarter, and TN took advantage. In normal conditions, as coach you would substitute in some bench players so that the starters could get some rest. But we can't do that now with our injuries. So we didn't start playing well again until the third quarter, after the starters got rest at halftime."

When he had Azzi and Caroline available on the bench, they got in quickly and played a lot of minutes. But clearly Patterson / DeBerry / Bettencourt are not at the same level as Azzi and Caroline, so he doesn't think he can use them in a high-stakes situation. That is not necessarily a permanent condition for them (Nika didn't get too many minutes as a freshman and neither did Aubrey), but it is true as of now.

I am also disappointed with Patterson's performance at this point in the season. (Who was the poster who thought she would be the top performer on the team by now?) I attribute it to poor competition (and possibly poor coaching) in high school, immaturity, and her own concussion issue a few weeks ago. It's still possible that she will blossom before the tournament seasons begin. There is even a chance that will happen for Amari, but the odds are against it.
I’m not a coach and have never pretended that I am one. And I really have trouble double guessing Geno’s decision making. But in this case, I generally agree with Rings’ perspective.

Against Tennessee we had a 16 point 1st quarter lead that just about vanished in the 2nd quarter. Sure, the 180 degree turnaround in how the game was officiated played a part, but if I’m not mistaken, didn’t Geno also attribute fatigue throughout the 2nd quarter as a factor?

He’s also talked about the gauntlet of 5 games in 11 days. And it’s more than just games to be played. It’s the back and forth between home and away games and the toll travel takes. And yeah, they still have to study.

Okay, I’ll just take my licks now!
@cabbie191 , you're not wrong. Geno did attribute the second-quarter swoon against TN to fatigue, but added that he would normally bring in bench players, but couldn't because of injuries. He did give Patterson some minutes in the second quarter (without much tangible contribution from her), but basically he doesn't have confidence in the healthy players on his bench right now. As always, they have to demonstrate in practice that they are ready for the minutes before they get minutes in a close and critical game.

Reaction Score

Can we use our bench, please?!​

We used it. I mean more than half the team was on it for a whole game. How much more use do you want?

You forget. We are using our bench. Muhl, Senechal and Griffin were all slated to sub in for Bueckers, Fudd and Ducharme. With Brady UConn was going to have a 9 man rotation. But for the 2nd year in a row things didn't work out that way.
And now you expect Geno to wave a magic wand and turn the end of benchers into valued members of the rotation simply by playing them a lot in games? Geno never uses actual games as training. Players train and prove themselves at practice and earn game time.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with all of that.... I love Caroline as much as anyone but Lou would be starting regardless of Caroline's health.....She is 100 times better then I thought she'd be before the season started.

Reaction Score

I agree inside and outside the fanbase there's a lot of harsh critiques. Also based on the semi-biased rankings and polls, could Uconn risk losing this game? The starting 5 were able to fight back when down, but barely. If the bench came in a made more crucial mistakes, we would have lost.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with all of that.... I love Caroline as much as anyone but Lou would be starting regardless of Caroline's health.....She is 100 times better then I thought she'd be before the season started.

Exactly. I was talking about June and back then Senechal was thought of as insurance at the guard position. Bueckers and Fudd were the starters with Muhl and Senechal backing them up.

Geno had a great bench in June. It bothers me when he is critiqued for not developing a bench when it could be his bench that wins the title.

Reaction Score
Has Geno ever played his bench?
If you’re capable of playing at a D1 level then Geno will play you. It’s on the player to up their game to compete at the D1 level. it’s not park and rec league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom