OT: - Can we talk lawn mowers? | The Boneyard

OT: Can we talk lawn mowers?

Reaction Score
The coronavirus has me discontinuing/suspending my lawn mower company. Being home and having more time, I figure I'll get my lazy arse out of the house and outside tending to my lawn. My 12 year old Craftsman served me well, but its time for me to make a change, plus I can't get it serviced in these current times.

I'm leaning towards a self propelled mower (duh) and probably a mulcher.

I'm considering the Honda HRX217HYA (mulch, bags, rear discharge). I hear good things about Toro and Troy Built.

Anyway I've got about 1/3 acres to cut, but looking for low maintenance, long lasting and good/quick cut.

What are you guys using?

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A Toro with all the features you mentioned. 2 seasons old now. Also have 1/3 acre. Not sure of model #, but on the lower end of price w/those features. Works well.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I got the 30" Toro walk behind recycler (2 blades) last year after using a basic push mower for a decade. Well worth the $ so far, blows through the lawn in no time, almost effortless.

Reaction Score
I have a John Deere D125 with a bagger. It gets the job done.

We have 3 acres or so of land and it’s a lot of work. The last owner didn’t maintain the grass properly and we have a ton of over grown brush in our woods I’m working on this weekend.

Using my stihl FS40 to take out weeds and a renegade blade cutter for taking down branches and thicker brush. Gets the job done.

Went from suburbia to country/woods and enjoying my toys.

grew up ona 1/4 acre in Fairfield country area with the push mower and I must say Honda is the way to go for 1/3 acre and low maintenance. Good looks @Kitaman

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wrestle with my hand-me-down twice-over craftsmen push almost every time I use it. I think about getting a new one every time but I only have 1/4 acre or so and will only be here another couple years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have an 18 year old son. I'll have to ask him what lawnmower I own. I've cut my lawn maybe 3 times in last 5-6 years. I'm pretty sure it's a basic rear wheel driven 21" or 22" mower. Nothing fancy.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I have a Briggs and Stratton engine in my push mower. As long as you change the oil like you should, clean and change the air filter, and don’t leave it outside it should be fine for a long time.

There’s a guy who goes to the Colchester Farmers Market who sharpens mower blades for pretty cheap, no idea if that is still going to be a thing however, but just an FYI.

Reaction Score
I've got a Snapper from thr 90s, I think. The pull cord ssembly is stuck - won't pull, therfor, no start. Snapper manual does not cover engine, whcih is a B&S 3.5 hp. Finally go that manual, but unclear what need to do to access the pull assembly. Remove gastank, etc. Any ideas?? Don't really want to disassemble the whole thing on the garage floor.

ps - the repair shops are in lock-down.

Reaction Score
I've got a Snapper from thr 90s, I think. The pull cord ssembly is stuck - won't pull, therfor, no start. Snapper manual does not cover engine, whcih is a B&S 3.5 hp. Finally go that manual, but unclear what need to do to access the pull assembly. Remove gastank, etc. Any ideas?? Don't really want to disassemble the whole thing on the garage floor.

ps - the repair shops are in lock-down.

The attached video uses a toro to demonstrate, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what you will need to do to your lawn mower. By the looks of it you will have to loosen/move/take some stuff off to actually access that bugger.

Reaction Score
I have an eGO and love it. Battery is just long enough to last through the whole yard (about the same size as yours.) Some days if it's really long or wet, it may not quite make it, but it fully charges in a about an hour. I switch to edging/trimming if that happens. It's self-propelled and has plenty of power. I hate smelling like gas after cutting and also used to hate always running out of gas at a bad moment. Those problems are history.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyway I've got about 1/3 acres to cut, but looking for low maintenance, long lasting and good/quick cut.
1587075250593.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a Briggs and Stratton engine in my push mower. As long as you change the oil like you should, clean and change the air filter, and don’t leave it outside it should be fine for a long time.

There’s a guy who goes to the Colchester Farmers Market who sharpens mower blades for pretty cheap, no idea if that is still going to be a thing however, but just an FYI.

I probably last had a blade sharpened 10 years ago. New blades are less than $20. No need to hone down a used one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The coronavirus has me discontinuing/suspending my lawn mower company. Being home and having more time, I figure I'll get my lazy arse out of the house and outside tending to my lawn. My 12 year old Craftsman served me well, but its time for me to make a change, plus I can't get it serviced in these current times.

I'm leaning towards a self propelled mower (duh) and probably a mulcher.

I'm considering the Honda HRX217HYA (mulch, bags, rear discharge). I hear good things about Toro and Troy Built.

What are you guys using?

i had a Honda HRX for years. Can’t go wrong if your yard is sized right that you can do it with a 21”. Mine was too big but we did it anyway. Finally gave up.

Reaction Score
I have an 18 year old son. I'll have to ask him what lawnmower I own. I've cut my lawn maybe 3 times in last 5-6 years. I'm pretty sure it's a basic rear wheel driven 21" or 22" mower. Nothing fancy.
I laughed out loud at the first sentence. Those were the days.

Reaction Score
I have an eGO and love it. Battery is just long enough to last through the whole yard (about the same size as yours.) Some days if it's really long or wet, it may not quite make it, but it fully charges in a about an hour. I switch to edging/trimming if that happens. It's self-propelled and has plenty of power. I hate smelling like gas after cutting and also used to hate always running out of gas at a bad moment. Those problems are history.
I was looking at the push version of the eGo. What size batteries are you using?

Reaction Score
Try a quality battery operated mower. I own several 40W Greenworks products like chainsaw, pole saw, drill etc., all are very good and require almost no effort. I presume the mowers are good too. I'd probably go a little higher end on a mower for durability.

Battery tools are really trending. There are country boys all over Youtube trading out their gas chainsaws for battery operated ones. You'll be shocked by the power, lack of effort and relative quiet of them. The best thing is they work perfectly after months of non-use. I have a chainsaw and a weed whacker in Vermont that I only use a little bit in Summer and Fall when on vacation there. Both are worry free, just charge the batteries and go. They are the future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
54" Bad Boy Zero Turn and 10 goats on 7 acres. Goats take care of the pond bank and the scrub, I handle the rest.

Reaction Score
I have had a Toro 20333 for a year and it is doing the job as good as any machine I have owned. I have a fairly large yard and it is easily maneuvered around the hills and dips in my yard. I have had toros before and can swear by them. the 22" width is a big help also.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I have an eGo too, works well.

I don't know your situation, but to the extent you are still employed, it's worth considering keeping the company on (or doing work yourself and paying them). Lots of service folks are really hurting right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I need a zero-turn too as we mow 4 acres. Had a Simplicity 50" that I sold to a nephew, looking for a little bigger such as 52 or 54". Would love to get a Ferris 800 or 2100 for their suspension. Also considering Scag or Hustler, which I hear give the best cut. I only put about 60 hours a year mowing, so I'm looking for used. Took a look at all electric Mean Green zero turn- wow, are they expensive!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom