OT: - Can we talk BBQ grilling/smoking? | The Boneyard

OT: Can we talk BBQ grilling/smoking?

Reaction Score
I figured I'll use the pandemic to sharpen my grilling technique (steaks, pork, chicken, etc).

I got some ribs that I'll be grilling tomorrow on the Weber.

What's your favorite charcoal? I been using Kingsford, but I'm hearing B & B is better.

Got a favorite store rub, or make your own? Same with BBQ sauce.

I don't have a thermometer so what's best way to check readiness (turning and done)?

Anyone here marinate meat before prepping?

Whats your favorite wood chunk or chips? I use hickory, but would love to try something new (e.g. cherry wood).

You guys spritz the meat with vinegar/water while cooking?

Anyone use mustard for a base to bind the rub?

I'm asking a lot of questions, because I screwed up a rack last month with too much salt and don't want to ruin another rack. Youtube is helpful for cook temps, grill setup, etc. but the Yard is usually my go-to.

Oh I cooked some chicken breast on the grill, the outside looked perfectly done with color and all. Took a bite and it was raw, I'm doing something wrong here obviously. Big pieces of chicken has always been a problem for me.

Reaction Score
I'm going to get a Rec Tec RT-700 pellet grill- it gets great reviews and costs $1200. You order directly through Rec Tec.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I figured I'll use the pandemic to sharpen my grilling technique (steaks, pork, chicken, etc).

Baby Back or Spare Ribs?

Make sure to offset the Charcoal from the grilling area. You dont want ribs directly over charcoal on a weber.

What's your favorite charcoal? I been using Kingsford, but I'm hearing B & B is better.

Kingsford is fine

make my own, but any storebought dry rub will do.

I don't have a thermometer so what's best way to check readiness (turning and done)?

get a thermometer. and not a meat thermometer, but at minimum just a surface oven thermometer. You can get one at the grocery store for like 6 bucks. They aint the best, but you want to know the surface temp of the portion of the weber you are putting the ribs on. around 250 degrees is fine. and the cheap surface thermometer will at least allow you to get in that ballpark

for rib doneness do the "bend test" when ribs are done and you bend them they should slightly break apart at the bone of the bend. If it doesnt, they arent done. If it falls apart they are too done.

ribs? no no marination. I do rub with some kosher salt acouple hours before rubbing with my dry rub (which is also a couple hours (or overnight before grilling) but my dry rub has no salt. If your rub contains salt then just do the dry rub at least a couple hours before (fridge overnight if possible)

Whats your favorite wood chunk or chips? I use hickory, but would love to try something new (e.g. cherry wood).

for ribs I like hickory best. But applewood is fun sometimes.

spritz with apple juice

you can. Not necessary . a light basting of vegetable or alive oil will serve that purpose, or you could go Johnny Trigg and use that squeeze liquid parkay "butter". None of it necessary to bind rub though. It will bind with nothing.

I'm asking a lot of questions, because I screwed up a rack last month with too much salt and don't want to ruin another rack. Youtube is helpful for cook temps, grill setup, etc. but the Yard is usually my go-to.

Oh I cooked some chicken breast on the grill, the outside looked perfectly done with color and all. Took a bite and it was raw, I'm doing something wrong here obviously. Big pieces of chicken has always been a problem for me.

this is where you NEED an internal meat thermometer pen. There are cheap ones (like 20 bucks and less) on amazon. You will never screw up again.

Reaction Score
Yeah get a thermometer. For real. Biggest difference you can make in your cooking.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@Kitaman August covered a lot.

If you are going to keep smoking, consider getting a dedicated smoker.

As for wood chips, hickory is often too bitter for poultry and some pork (and Mesquite is too powerful). Apple or Cherry is better. For beef or ribs, it's fine.

I don't use the mustard as a binder, have never needed anything to get rub to stick. You can overdo the rub, especially on ribs with so much surface relative to meat.

As others said, you have to get an instant read thermometer to avoid that chicken problem. Grilling chicken breasts that aren't cut or pounded more flat will almost always mean the outer portion is dry by the time the middle is safely cooked (assuming grilled not smoked low and slow).

Reaction Score
If you're starting out or looking for direction, try Myron Mixon's method.

It'll give you a full course in prep, rub, smoking, glaze, etc. Soup to Nuts class in ribs. Then go from there as you learn what you like or don't like.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

I take it that the Search feature is not a thing for you?

Dove

Reaction Score
And... pimento sticks.

#theyardneverforgets

Dove

Reaction Score
If you're starting out or looking for direction, try Myron Mixon's method.

It'll give you a full course in prep, rub, smoking, glaze, etc. Soup to Nuts class in ribs. Then go from there as you learn what you like or don't like.
Have you smoked any chickens yet?

Reaction Score
I take it that the Search feature is not a thing for you?
I did all search all over, and I came away with information overload. Everyone including the Grill Masters all had a unique twist. I come here for one stop shopping, so to speak and I trust the reviews/feedback but not always the advice. Just saying the internet is not necessarily a friend to those of curious mind.

It was easier to stop when we had those heavy books.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Weber Smokey Mountain + BBQ Guru DigiQ temperature controller + ThermoWorks Smoke temperature probes + Royal Oak charcoal briquettes = perfect BBQ every time! :)

Reaction Score

I tried smoking on a Weber and I could never get a decent result;, so I broke down and found a large Big Green Egg (BGE) on Craig's List for $500 (Normally about a grand at ACE) I suggest a BGE, or another brand that is specifically made for smoking. I use a BGE "place setter" that is needed for indirect cooking.

Natural charcoal is required in a BGE and I use a combo of BGE Charcoal and Mesquite charcoal sold at Costco

I used to make my own but found "Peruvian Bar-B-Que" rub at Whole Foods. Great taste and always consistent.

I found this great sauce recipe at the Food and Wine website:

I use an instant read meat thermometer to get the meat temp. The BGE comes with an oven thermometer inbedded in the cover.

No marinade, just remove the membrane and excess fat, apply the rub, place in pyrex baking pan, cover w.plastic wrap and place in fridge over night

I use a blend of mesquite, hickory and apple which provides a complex set of tastes

No spritz, but I will try the apple juice as suggested in one of the replies above.

Anyone use mustard for a base to bind the rub? No mustard for me

I cook at 250 to 275 degs on the BGE for 4 hrs (turning the mea once at 2 hrs). I then take the racks out, wrap each in aluminum foil and place in the oven at 250 for an additional hour. This helps the meat detach from the bone. Note that I also place a 13" diameter circular pan half-filled with water directly below the meat on the "Place Setter" which keeps the meat moist throughout the cooking process.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't speak for grilling/smoking a whole chicken as I'm simply not interested in that at all. In this house, whole birds go in the Romentopf. I've yet to find any method that makes a moister whole bird.

As far as grilling pieces, sous vide takes care of that. Then you simply take a couple of minutes to get some char and outside caramelization, but the insides are cooked to your liking. If no sous vide, the way to deal with thick breasts is to simply make them flatter and more uniform in thickness before you put them on the grill. Boneless are simple, but even with bone-in breasts, you'll break the bones, but you really don't care as they'll stay in place with the other bones you'd avoid anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm uing charcoal. Got a Weber chimney to start the charcoal whcich is 8" dia, and 8'9" tall (certain volumn of charcoal). Crumple paper under it and light - no 'starter fluid'. Let 'perk' for 20-30 min till coals are hot / white, and pour into the BBQ pan. But I never seem to have enough coals / temp to cook w super
heat. Must place grill at level closest to coals and cook steak covered 5-10 min per side. Never mind a longer period. Does it make more sence to dump the coals into the BBQ pan sooner as they may be buring out if in the chimney too long? or throw more charcol on after they exit the chimney? or, ...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I used a Weber kettle with a Smokenator insert for a number of years... made tasty food, but felt like I needed to babysit it all day long.

I just got a Camp Chef pellet smoker and used it a few times now... overall, happy with it. Is it quite as smokey as the Weber set up? No, but smokey enough I think, and the convenience factor means I’m using it more.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I did 4 racks of baby backs on my fathers gas grill yesterday with no wood chips. As you know from past threads , I’m a long time smoker and would never advocate anything but a good smoker for great bbq. But I did them “ hot and fast” on the gas grill yesterday in a trick that rendezvos does in Memphis. I cooked them at 350- 375 for 2 hours. But the trick is you gotta mop them constantly . And I mean constantly. I made a real thin mopping sauce out of vinegar , water, rub , and bbq sauce, and EVERY 5 minutes I’d have to open the grill , mop ( brush) with the mopping sauce and flip. It was the most laborious cooking experience of my bbq life standing in 90 degree plus, humid freaking heat over a grill I opened every 5 minutes . But the ribs came out incredible. Their guests were flipping out. The constant mopping keeps them from drying out in that method and almost steams it a little bit and really imparts some great flavor in process.

it was a special occasion otherwise I’m a “set it and forget it “ guy with the smoker, but I wasn’t about to watch my 78 year old dad out there with those on a gas grill.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
And... pimento sticks.

#theyardneverforgets
12 Jerk chicken thighs marinated for 36 hours about to hit grill as I type ( well when I’m done typing) wanna come over? it’s about 8 too many for us. You’ve got 90 minutes.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Also shut up dove

C97A25E9-F104-4A20-8866-08339FD5F74F.jpeg

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
OK, I'll bite, what does the extra 12+ hours of marinating over the usual 12 (or overnight) actually accomplish.

And while I'm critiquing, it looks like all the marinade in on the outside and not under the skin.

Yes, I'm prickly. Seems something happened here this afternoon that has me rather miffed.
It’s under the skin. It was lifted for every piece and shoved under. And the purée over top. Jesus.

I was expecting to cook them yesterday after a 12 marinade. Had to go to parents,last minute so they sat in fridge until tonight. I don’t see a benefit to 36 but I do see a benefit at 24 over 12 particularly with jerk .

Check out the recipe I use here

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It’s under the skin. It was lifted for every piece and shoved under. And the purée over top. Jesus.

I was expecting to cook them yesterday after a 12 marinade. Had to go to parents,last minute so they sat in fridge until tonight. I don’t see a benefit to 36 but I do see a benefit at 24 over 12 particularly with jerk .

any other inquiries?
No further inquiries to you. Only to Tom.

edit: nevermind, the lost forum appears to be back. My mood has changed for the better.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
12 Jerk chicken thighs marinated for 36 hours about to hit grill as I type ( well when I’m done typing) wanna come over? it’s about 8 too many for us. You’ve got 90 minutes.
This is what I’ve got to do next.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom