Can we talk about Tristen Newton for a second? | The Boneyard

Can we talk about Tristen Newton for a second?

Reaction Score
I said during the offseason that him coming back was probably the most important personnel decision for UConn's season. We can forget the "probably" now. I know everyone says he's not athletic enough, he's not a real point guard, etc. etc., but he's looked really good the last 2 games against very good competition. Those were some NBA moves last night and Friday night. He's the engine that makes this team go. I think he gets a crack at the NBA.

Nine games into Connecticut's season, it's clear who the big name and most important player on this roster is: senior point guard Tristen Newton. As I wrote recently, after a different drubbing at MSG, there's a lot to be inspired by with UConn and its national championship potential. The 6-foot-5 Newton is The Guy. If this team plays its way to a Big East title or another Final Four, Newton will be the core of the effort.

"He is what makes them go and he sets up all those other guys, so that's been huge," one assistant who faced UConn told me.

Reaction Score
I said during the offseason that him coming back was probably the most important personnel decision for UConn's season. We can forget the "probably" now. I know everyone says he's not athletic enough, he's not a real point guard, etc. etc., but he's looked really good the last 2 games against very good competition. Those were some NBA moves last night and Friday night. He's the engine that makes this team go. I think he gets a crack at the NBA.

Nine games into Connecticut's season, it's clear who the big name and most important player on this roster is: senior point guard Tristen Newton. As I wrote recently, after a different drubbing at MSG, there's a lot to be inspired by with UConn and its national championship potential. The 6-foot-5 Newton is The Guy. If this team plays its way to a Big East title or another Final Four, Newton will be the core of the effort.

"He is what makes them go and he sets up all those other guys, so that's been huge," one assistant who faced UConn told me.

Over his last 10 games it is a resume that deserves first round pick. HUGE game in NCAA final, becomes UConn leader in triple doubles, MONSTER game in Allen Field House, always gets buckets when team needs em' so far this season - the bigger the game the better he plays.

Reaction Score
He is 5xs the player he was when he came. Same story with Diarra, Samson, AK, and (Hawk, Ajax, Joey C...)
These coaches are top level.
We probably have some gold on that bench as we speak.

Reaction Score
I never open new threads and I am glad you opened this one. Newton is absolutely the key to this team. He should be in the conversation for the best player in America. Does not get the ink, but man he is soooooo goood.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know Spencer is the talk but Newton is the anchor!!!! Hope that NBA scout will finally see his worth!!!
From reports last week, every NBA team sent scouts to the UConn-Kansas game at Allen Fieldhouse, with four teams sending more than one.

Considering his performance in that game I imagine he is now on the radar of most NBA teams.

He's an exception in that a player, still in school at his age will seldom improve his draft stock but the way he's playing, I would be stunned if some team doesn't take a chance on him in the first round next summer.

Personally I'm thrilled for him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Given his age and athleticism I doubt he gets first round consideration but he’s been amazing for us this year keeping us steady and he seems a lot more consistent than last season.

He’s made some REALLY impressive moves over the last two games in the way he’s creating shots for himself to go along with his usual defense, rebounding, and facilitating.

So much great and versatile guard depth on the team.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
He’s getting a bit more national recognition. He showed up at #66 on Sam Vecenie’s new big board, and Joe Liunardi mentioned him as a candidate for best player in the country in an ESPN article today (while also saying no one is close to Edey).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Tristen had demonstrated at ECU he was a great scorer. Not sure about his rebounding ability at ECU but we observed that right from the beginning at UConn last season. His significant improvement since coming to UConn is his ability to know when to score and when to distribute. It was my impression that in the first half of the season he was unsure how to combine those two things and it impacted his scoring. Andre was often the primary playmaker as a result. That was the major reason Tristen got the reputation of not being a point guard.

That changed the final third to one half of last season. He is a complete guard now. Bilas"s assessment he's the best point guard in mens basketball is probably accurate. Kudos to the coaching staff for helping him. Kudos to Tristen for taking that instruction and making it work.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this when I saw the thread regarding Cam being a zero star recruit out of high school. According to 247 sports, Newton was a zero start prospect out of HS but a 4 star transfer entering UConn. And he would have had a similar game last night like he did at Kansas if UNC hadn't started double teaming him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What I find fascinating is about eighteen months ago, when a few of our guards transferred out, many felt it was the end of the world.

Things fell into place better than anyone could have hoped.

Reaction Score
When we played ECU in 2020, the game where Bouk had the mindbending dunk, Newton was on ECU.

He played 38 minutes had 25 points on 9 of 17 shooting, 1 of 2 from the arc 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals and 0 turnovers.

Numbers that look pretty familiar now. No wonder Hurley recruited him.

Reaction Score
I like the Austin Reaves comp that was mentioned on here a few months ago. Didn't think Tristen had an NBA future prior to this season but I can definitely see it now, especially with teams now prioritizing 2nd round picks with the new CBA. Age will hold him back from going higher but at the same time you could probably expect him to be ready to contribute and be a role player sooner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom