Can we step back and appreciate this recruiting run? | The Boneyard

Can we step back and appreciate this recruiting run?

Reaction Score
After the shock decision of Brittany Hunter to attend Duke and having the entire 2003 recruiting class transfer out, UConn's run of 3 straight championships and 5 straight Final Fours was put in major jeopardy. Followed that with a solid if not unspectacular recruiting class of Charde, Mel, and Ketia in a class that produced many superstars like Parker, Fowles, Wiggins, Langhorne, etc and UConn was set to take a step back. Charde was the only pro in those 2 years and she was arguably one of our most up and down players. What followed was 2 years of no Final Fours and general sluggish play. Not even Geno could work his magic. Recruiting is the most important part of the job.

So what followed those 2 classes was (future pros in BOLD, #1 rated players capitalized):

2005: Renee Montgomery, Kalana Greene, Tariah Williams, Cassie Kerns
2006: TINA CHARLES, Kaili McLaren, Meg Gardler
2007: MAYA MOORE, Lorin Dixon
2008: ELENA DELLE DONNE (transfered), Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Heather Buck
2009: Kelly Faris
2010: Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley
2011: KALEENA LEWIS, Kiah Stokes
2012: BREANNA STEWART, Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck
2013: Sanyia Chong
2014: Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse
2015: KATIE LOU SAMUELSON, Naphessa Collier, Azura Stevens (transfer)
2016: Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla Irwin, Molly Bent
2017: MEGAN WALKER, Andra Hunter, Mikayala Coombs, Lexi Gordon, Batouly Camara (transfer)
2018: CHRISTYN WILLIAMS, Olivia Nelson-Odoba

For 12 years we get at least one high level impact player, either an #1 rated player, future pro, or All American. Because of this we have not missed ONE Final Four since 2007 and have won 6 championships. Whenever it looks like we may have an "off year" in recruiting (like this time last week lol) our coaches respond and get exactly who and what they need to make sure UConn will be at least one of the top 4 teams in the country for another year.

Take a bow Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa. And let's not fail to appreciate how hard this is to keep up!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
After the shock decision of Brittany Hunter to attend Duke and having the entire 2003 recruiting class transfer out, UConn's run of 3 straight championships and 5 straight Final Fours was put in major jeopardy. Followed that with a solid if not unspectacular recruiting class of Charde, Mel, and Ketia in a class that produced many superstars like Parker, Fowles, Wiggins, Langhorne, etc and UConn was set to take a step back. Charde was the only pro in those 2 years and she was arguably one of our most up and down players. What followed was 2 years of no Final Fours and general sluggish play. Not even Geno could work his magic. Recruiting is the most important part of the job.

So what followed those 2 classes was (future pros in BOLD, #1 rated players capitalized):

2008: ELENA DELLE DONNE (transfered), Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Heather Buck
2017: MEGAN WALKER, Andra Hunter, Mikayala Coombs, Lexi Gordon, Batouly Camara (transfer)

For 12 years we get at least one high level impact player, either an #1 rated player, future pro, or All American. Because of this we have not missed ONE Final Four since 2007 and have won 6 championships. Whenever it looks like we may have an "off year" in recruiting (like this time last week lol) our coaches respond and get exactly who and what they need to make sure UConn will be at least one of the top 4 teams in the country for another year.

Take a bow Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa. And let's not fail to appreciate how hard this is to keep up!

2014 - Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Courtney Elkmark (transferred) and Sadie Edwards (transferred)
2015- Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson and De'Janae Boykin (transferred)

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Nice overview. The kudos are well earned. The dire predictions from naysayers and conference snobs have not been borne out.

This was pointed out on another thread, but I just want to underscore the quality of recruits signing their NLIs since UConn has been in the AAC: KLS, Collier, Azurá, Crystal, Walker et al., Batouly, Christyn, Olivia. That's three #1s plus a handful of top-10s.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You're right, and I'm tired of these By-ers not relaxing and just enjoying the success Geno and company have had in recruiting, even just this week. I for one am going to sit in a comfortable chair and smile for a while.

Whew, what a nap. Okay time's up. Now, let's go get Ezi for next year and Brunelle, Boston and Beal for '19. The recruitment bus never stops.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the other thread about UConn entering the Maya era was spot on. Once Magnificent Maya came aboard—10 years ago—we upped our play from an already high level.

Our late friend Alex would have been thrilled today. He wrote about a new period, more or less the Stewie era, in which our best days were still ahead of us. As usual, he was probably right.

Reaction Score
I think the other thread about UConn entering the Maya era was spot on. Once Magnificent Maya came aboard—10 years ago—we upped our play from an already high level.

Our late friend Alex would have been thrilled today. He wrote about a new period, more or less the Stewie era, in which our best days were still ahead of us. As usual, he was probably right.
Glad you mentioned Alex but saddened to think of him missing this.

Reaction Score
I wish I had known Alex: he seems like such a positive, infectiously happy person.

If he is correct that a new era started with the simultaneous recruitment of Stewie, Mo, and Tuck (3 Pep Girls?), it would interesting to account for it. Is there a lot better talent broadly and UConn is just getting its fair share; or, has social media made the world of WCBB more transparent and UConn's advantages better known; or, are high schoolers making more calculated decisions about their professional plans?

Reaction Score
. . . Our late friend Alex would have been thrilled today. He wrote about a new period, more or less the Stewie era, in which our best days were still ahead of us. As usual, he was probably right.

He also would have been very happy with the rise of Texas. I recall that he was seriously bummed
when Texas hired Karen Aston. I and a few others pointed out that she was Texas through and through
and would probably be very effective in recruiting the state. And so it has proved to be.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Justa couple of clean-up notes:
1. I am pretty sure Crystal won one of the HS POY awards in a year when there was no consensus #1 (might be wrong on this.)
2. You have Batouly in the wrong class - she is a junior academically and a sophomore athletically so should be on the 2016 line and not 2017.
3. Your 'pro' designation is misleading because what you are displaying is actually WNBA players - players like Kaili starred in the Greek pro league for years, and Gardler played a number of years in Scandinavia.

It is an amazing list of recruiting successes and it is interesting to note that seldom were these classes ranked with the mythical #1 recruiting class designation - even 2012 and 2015 may have been eclipsed by a school pulling in 5 or 6 players. But quality wise ... no one touches this consistency over this long a stretch.

Reaction Score
I wish I had known Alex: he seems like such a positive, infectiously happy person.

If he is correct that a new era started with the simultaneous recruitment of Stewie, Mo, and Tuck (3 Pep Girls?), it would interesting to account for it. Is there a lot better talent broadly and UConn is just getting its fair share; or, has social media made the world of WCBB more transparent and UConn's advantages better known; or, are high schoolers making more calculated decisions about their professional plans?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Good questions. I think it would look a lot different (the 'era' would have ended) had last year played out the way most people thought it would - Uconn struggling to a handful of losses and maybe reaching the FF. The fact that Lou and Napheesa, Gabby and Kia, and Chong played so well last year was unexpected in a very similar way to what the original 'Uconn record win streak' team did back in 2003 - that 2003 team thankfully threw their wobble in the BE tournament and not at the FF but it was preforming the same sort of smoke and mirrors act to get to 70 wins.

If last year had included a few stumbles prior to the FF loss, this year's team would probably not have three returning AAs and there would not be the 'inevitability' factor to this coming season in people's minds. But since they did 'outperform' this feels like just a continuation of the Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck years/era. (If you are using that as the start of some new era, you are suggesting a 2 year FF loss period prior to their arrival signified an end to the previous 'Maya/Tina' era which is a pretty harsh criteria!)

JS

Reaction Score

___________________________________________​

An encore, and an expression of gratitude, from our eloquent friend on the occasion of his 10,000th post:

Well, yes and no- I've posted more than 10K times. Ironically/ coincidentally, I joined the BY in December 2010...just as UConn had beaten FSU for 89 in a row and was about to beat Pacific for #90.

That being said, here I am now with 10,000 posts on this very site, the newer incarnation of the BY, of which i've been a member since August 2011.

Thank you to everyone for sharing so many great experiences: Olympic Gold medals, FIBA championships, Stewie's four NCs in a row, even a dual men's-women's championship in 2014. This has been the most Golden of Eras, even when we had to share/endure all those losses to Skylar Diggins and Notre Dame. That's changed a lot since the 2013 Big East Championship, eh?

It's been easy to post on here 10,000 times. It's been, conversely, hard at times with my health, but this site and this great WBB program have been medicinal. Every season has kept me going. This season so far and the great recruiting class of 2017 has given me nothing but more history to anticipate.

It has been, and will always be, an honor to share a great state, a great sport, and a transcendently great program with all of you. Thank you for sharing everything we have so joyously over the past six years and 10,000 posts.

With respect, fondness, and regards,

Alex

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2014 - Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Courtney Elkmark (transferred) and Sadie Edwards (transferred)
2015- Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson and De'Janae Boykin (transferred)
2011 Add Brianna Banks (transferred)
2013 Natalie Butler (Transfer in)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Justa couple of clean-up notes:
1. I am pretty sure Crystal won one of the HS POY awards in a year when there was no consensus #1 (might be wrong on this.)
2. You have Batouly in the wrong class - she is a junior academically and a sophomore athletically so should be on the 2016 line and not 2017.
3. Your 'pro' designation is misleading because what you are displaying is actually WNBA players - players like Kaili starred in the Greek pro league for years, and Gardler played a number of years in Scandinavia.

It is an amazing list of recruiting successes and it is interesting to note that seldom were these classes ranked with the mythical #1 recruiting class designation - even 2012 and 2015 may have been eclipsed by a school pulling in 5 or 6 players. But quality wise ... no one touches this consistency over this long a stretch.
Crystal won the Morgan Wooten NPOY award. I think 5 other players (at least 4 of these) won some POY award: Lauren Cox, Joyner Holmes, Jackie Young, Erin Boley, and Sabrina Ionescu.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He also would have been very happy with the rise of Texas. I recall that he was seriously bummed
when Texas hired Karen Aston. I and a few others pointed out that she was Texas through and through
and would probably be very effective in recruiting the state. And so it has proved to be.
Yes, Alex was a proud University of Texas alum (with an MBA from Emory). He was a brilliant guy and loving father. I met him only once, but emailed and texted him often. He was hoping to make it to the Maryland game at MSG in December 2015, but he had an adverse reaction to one of his very strong meds. I went to Lenox Hill Hospital the following day to chat with him. He lived about 2.5 years with glioblastoma, the pernicious form of cancer that John McCain has. As crazy and ardent as we can be as fans, no one loved the Huskies more than Alex. We miss him!

Reaction Score

Good piece. Uconn missed 3 FFs in a row though, 05, 06 and 07. Mayas 1st FF was in 2008.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom