Can we put the gap theory to bed now? | The Boneyard

Can we put the gap theory to bed now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is and there never was a gap between preseason top 4 and the rest. UConn has not put a team away since the beat down of UK down in Maui. UNC was suspect to me last year and with 2 losses and a struggle today with LBSU they are confirming to me that they are good, but not above many other good teams out there. On neutral court they might as well have lost to LBSU and Wisconsin.

UK today lost to unranked (soon to be ranked) IU. They along with healthy OSU look the most formidable to me, but still not unbeatable. UConn defenitely is not unbeatable, but we have all the pieces to again make the run in March.

I'd argue that any of current top 10 teams could win it all and it wouldn't surprise me to see a mid-major in the FF yet again. It's a crapshoot again just as it is 8 out of 10 years in cbb.

Reaction Score
Eh...yes and no. I do believe UConn, Uk, UNC, OSU, and Cuse are the top five teams in the country. After that, comes Baylor, Duke, Louisville, and Florida. Marquette, Xavier, Pitt, and others are on the cusp of the top ten right now.

All and all, there are definitely more very good, potentially great teams than there were last year. UConn, UNC, and Kentucky all have the potential to be great teams. Not good, but great. They have all the ingredients, they just have not put it all together yet. Kentucky, UConn, and UNC are the only three teams with multiple lottery picks. Jones (Baylor), Sullinger (OSU), Robinson (Kansas), Beal (Florida), and possibly Rivers (Duke) make up the other 4-5 lottery picks. I suppose Mason Plumlee and Patric Young have the potential to play themselves into the lottery, but they aren't sure bets.

Not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but I've always felt UC, UK, and UNC have had the most talent. It is clear that teams like OSU and Cuse are more familar with each other right now, but come March I expect UConn, Kentucky, and North Carolina to be blowing teams out.

Clearly these three teams are not ready to be dominant as of now, but if they can put it together, watch out. I expect one of these three to be cutting down the nets.

Reaction Score
By the end of the year I still think it will be UConn, Kentucky, UNC and OSU.

Reaction Score
Baylor has a stud in Quincy Miller and if they continue to play hard and selfless like they've been doing this yr then they are up there with UConn, UNC, and UK with their talent and depth

Reaction Score
I remember Georgia Tech taking on UConn Emeka-less and killing that 2004 team, but by the end of the season, there was a big gap.

I would not move Duke out of the top 5 yet. They're not as good as OSU with Sullinger (I'm not sure any team is) but I think they can take on UNC, UConn, Cuse, and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
UConn, UK and UNC have a wealth of riches. It comes down to chemistry and coaching. I believe that UConn and UK have the best coaches and have the best chance to drastically improve. UNC, Cuse, OSU and Duke fall one notch below in the big picture for one reason or another in my mind. I love our roster over the long haul and I think UK's is right there with us. UNC should be, but Roy is not the coach that JC and Cal are.

Reaction Score
Baylor has a stud in Quincy Miller and if they continue to play hard and selfless like they've been doing this yr then they are up there with UConn, UNC, and UK with their talent and depth
guards win in March, and they don't have any.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone not including Missouri in the conversation is not paying attention.
mizzou.JPG

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree with gibhunter. The opinions about the four super teams were just that, opinions. They had some basis to support the contention, lots of star players, but it is always absurd to believe the hype is etched in stone. No one knows how players mesh or progress.

These early prognostications are just people trying to be the first to present "something". They can always back out of their statements by stating that the players did not live up to their billing - which is the billing they created. It's a no lose scenario. If they are correct they sound brilliant. If they are wrong, it is the teams fault and not an incorrect analysis on their part.

And of course they have the support of the fans who buy into the hype. Certain fans love all the notoriety thrown at their teams and don't stop to question the hype. So they will go along with the prognosticators, who make a living off of this, and blame their teams as opposed to criticizing the forecasters.

You would think UConn fans, after last seasons demonstration by a UConn team not picked to do much, wouldn't fall into this trap. But it is too seductive.

Reaction Score

I thought about putting Baylor in that group, but two factors rule them out in my opinon.

1. Iffy guard play. When is the last time a team that didn't have a reliable guard won the championship? Not in my lifetime, anyway. Their front court is second to none, but if they don't develop a reliable guard I can't see them advancing past the elite eight.

2. Scott Drew. I can't for the life of me figure out how he gets elite recruits to commit to Baylor. They have no history to speak of, and he has no coaching pedigree to think of. Last years Baylor squad has to have been one of the most talented teams not to make the tournament. Baylor was better than Duke two years ago, but he was severely outcoached by K.

Reaction Score
I remember Georgia Tech taking on UConn Emeka-less and killing that 2004 team, but by the end of the season, there was a big gap.

I would not move Duke out of the top 5 yet. They're not as good as OSU with Sullinger (I'm not sure any team is) but I think they can take on UNC, UConn, Cuse, and Kentucky.

Exactly my point. Certain teams improve a lot during the course of the year, other teams tend to improve just a little. The teams that improve a lot tend to be the youthful, talented teams with great coaches. You can put UConn and Kentucky in that group.

Veteran teams who are experienced within a system but are at the peak of their potential tend not to improve as much. Sometimes I think we get too caught up in these early season games and immediately consider a team a contender after only a couple games. On a similar note, more talented teams lose a couple games here and there due to lack of experience and we write them off. Last years UConn team certainly comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom