Can UConn overcome the loss of Walker? | The Boneyard

Can UConn overcome the loss of Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It could be Shbaz or Jeremy at his time. Someone else like Andre may emerge. The team will have to take time to see who will be reliable. It will be fun to see what happens. New to Boneyard and just wanted to say hello-you won't find a bigger UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Kemba was the X-factor (understatement). This team has more talent.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Yard coach.

To answer your question, I think this team is going to take on a different identity than last year's. We're going from a team that heated up at the right moments and were carried by a star player, to a team I believe will be built on a dominant defense and a less potent, but extremely balanced offense. I would be surprised if anyone on this team took a leadership role even close to what Walker did--but we might not need one. We're going to be incredibly tough to score on, and should have enough primary offensive options to not have to worry about finding "the Guy."

This team looks like they have a ton of chemistry, and Shabazz and AO are going to be great leaders off the court. We might not have a certified go-to scorer (I can't anoint anyone that role until seeing how team's D up with no Walker out there) but I like all the options we have to defer to. And I don't think we're going to need a ton of points to win games with the D we have.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Welcome. Kemba will be impossible to replace but that doesn't mean the team can't win without him. Tennessee won the FB title the year after Peyton Manning left for the NFL.

We'll find out how much defensive attention Kemba took off the team, but I like our pieces. Shabazz is my biggest concern. At times last year he was a bit of a bottleneck with the ball, dribbling at the top of the key with the clock winding down. Hopefully he's learned to better move the ball around.

I'll be looking for that in the early games.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Kemba was a leader, but he took over the team after dyson and stanley and gavin left. Someone will take over the team now that kemba is gone, we've been told its shabazz and oriahki. I dont think this team will have problems with lack luster play

Reaction Score
Welcome, yes they can overcome the loss of Kemba. Doing it is another matter, which only time will tell.

Who will be the leader, the one taking the critical shot, breaking down defenses, instilling fear in opponents, the dagger shooter, Bill Rafferty's guy with 'onions', the one to take the team on their shoulders, the motivator, etc.? Kemba was all that and some more.

Right now we can only guess and hope. There could be a surprise player on the team that will emerge.

caw

Reaction Score
Dont need Kemba...UConn wins each game by 30-40 points

;)

Reaction Score
Itcould be Shbaz or Jeremy at his time. Someone else like Andre may emerge. The team will have to take time to see who will be reliable. It will be fun to see what happens. New to Boneyard and just wanted to say hello-you won't find a bigger UConn fan.

Dear Coach N et al.,

This day is historic for you. You have entered the organized chaos of what is otherwise known as the UConn men’s basketball fan battlefield AKA “The Boneyard”. Bring your basketball ammunition to avoid the boneyard perils this Halloween season!

In order to answer this question more succinctly let’s add a real game time situation. The hypothetical will take place on December 3, 2011 against the Arkansas Razorbacks. We will assume this game is tied 72-72 with 57 seconds remaining and 26 seconds left on the shot clock. It is UConn’s ball inbounding in the mid court vicinity. You have given us the names of three players Bazz, Lamb and Drummond so we will assume they are on the court. For arguments sake add Alex O and Boatright (feel free to substitute anyone here its your call).

On December 3, 2011 the opposing coach in this case is Mike Anderson. Anderson does the following:

1) takes his best on ball man defender Rickey Scott and has him blanket JL. It is worth noting technically Arkansas will not have 1 player on their roster that can be categorized as a true 5 or center. 40 minutes of hell could care less about stereotypical #’s. That’s the beauty of it. Freshman blue chipper Hunter Mickelson is guarding Drummond on the inbound pass. JL gets possession on the perimeter outside the 3 point area and is ball hawked by talented defender Rickey Scott (Ty Madden is the other option). Arkansas has 8 team fouls and is not in the double bonus. Mickelson hedges off Drummond 8 feet from the basket to help on Lamb creating a double with the instructions to offer the double on the perimeter (Devonta Abron could also substitute for Mickelson in this situation depending on Mike Anderson). This Arkansas strategy will intentionally entice UConn to feed Drummond for the go ahead basket. Arkansas has both Michael Sanchez and Marshawn Powell in the game ready to cheat to commit the hard foul on Drummond and put him on the line for the 1-1.
2) The question becomes is Drummond still an option for you on Dec. 3rd? He is projected in almost every mock 2012 draft as the #1 pick so it is logical to have him on the court. Right? Or is he a liability? Assuming he gets the ball and gets fouled and misses the front end then Arkansas can potentially win the game on the last possession. If you pull him and you miss the shot he won’t be on the court for defensive purposes for Arkansas next/last possession to win it.

What are your thoughts? Anyone?

Reaction Score
I think the key in that situation is to get a good shot early in the possesion so that UConn can still get the 2 for 1. If Lamb is doubled, I would say pass the ball to the open man. That's what you would do in a normal game situation, so why wouldn't you do it with the game on the line as well?

And by the way, I'm thrilled to learn that Drummond and Lamb will still be here in December, 2012;)

Reaction Score
I think the key in that situation is to get a good shot early in the possesion so that UConn can still get the 2 for 1. If Lamb is doubled, I would say pass the ball to the open man. That's what you would do in a normal game situation, so why wouldn't you do it with the game on the line as well?

And by the way, I'm thrilled to learn that Drummond and Lamb will still be here in December, 2012;)
Yes AD and JL will be back in 2012 to be part of the first undefeated team since the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers led by Q. Buckner, S. May, K. Benson, B. Wilkerson and T. Abernathy! It will be magical 2012! hahahaha good catch bro! ;)

Reaction Score
Your scenario forgets one key point:
If, somehow, Arkansas could hang in there long enough for your scenario to unfold, there is a HOF coach on the bench that managed to devise a play that ended up with McGee trying to guard Kemba, when Jaime Dixon had put his best on-ball defender on him, and when the entire arena knew that Kemba was going to get the ball. So your scenario unfolds as follows: Rickey Scott gets put into the first row by an Alex or Roscoe pick, leaving Jeremy open to a: drive the lane and put up one of his floaters, b: drive the lane and dish to AD, c: drive the lane and dish to the guy who set the pick, d: drive the lane and dish out to DD (Deandre's in there instead of Boatright) for an open J, or e: shoot the open J off of the pick.

I like our chances.

Reaction Score
One minor reset of the scenario. With a minute left, Arkansas will be down by 10 points and their only option will be to foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom