Can UCONN make a bowl at 5-7? | The Boneyard

Can UCONN make a bowl at 5-7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming we win next week against Tulane but are unable to upset Houston or Temple is there still a chance that we could make a bowl game at 5-7? I know that the AAC has a certain number of bowl obligations that they need to fill so if there aren't enough bowl eligible AAC teams do they take a 5-7 AAC team or do they go outside of the conference to get a team that is bowl eligible?

Reaction Score
Actually, I think that's a really good question. We have two weeks to let things settle and analyze it AFTER WE BEAT TULANE. It's a free country, but I will not even be using the "b" word until we take care of business next Saturday.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually, I think that's a really good question. We have two weeks to let things settle and analyze it AFTER WE BEAT TULANE. It's a free country, but I will not even be using the "b" word until we take care of business next Saturday.
It's only a good question if the OP legitimately doesn't know the answer. A team must have at least a .500 record going into bowl season.

The question was if UConn can go to a bowl at 5-7, not whether UConn can gain bowl eligibility.

Reaction Score
Have to be 6-6 to be bowl eligible. If not enough teams from AAC are it goes to someone else

Reaction Score
It's only a good question if the OP legitimately doesn't know the answer. A team must have at least a .500 record going into bowl season.

The question was if UConn can go to a bowl at 5-7, not whether UConn can gain bowl eligibility.

The number of bowls is expanding more than the number of FBS teams. If bowls can not fill up only with "bowl eligible" teams, they don't cancel teh bowl in early December -- they get an NCAA waiver to invite a 5 win team. It's already happened.

So the OP was not asking a dumb question, thank you very much. Just, in my opinion, a premature one.

Reaction Score
Actually...

If a bowl has one or more conferences/teams unable to meet their contractual commitments and there are no available bowl-eligible teams, the open spots can be filled – by the particular bowl's sponsoring agencies – as follows:

1. Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower FCS, regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period.
  2. 6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.
  3. Teams that finish 6-7 with loss number seven in their conference championship game (that has been eliminated by the conference championship waiver rule).
  4. 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents.
  5. FCS teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
  6. 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score. This was later adjusted to allow other 5-7 teams to be selected thereafter—in order of their APR.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...l-game-tiebreakers-include-fcs-wins-5-7-teams

Possibly #6...

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
The number of bowls is expanding more than the number of FBS teams. If bowls can not fill up only with "bowl eligible" teams, they don't cancel teh bowl in early December -- they get an NCAA waiver to invite a 5 win team. It's already happened.

So the OP was not asking a dumb question, thank you very much. Just, in my opinion, a premature one.

Sorry I was wrong about the .500 record, but the general rule of thumb is 6 wins. Stars have to align with the moon, Pluto and the Mars Rover for a 5 win team to make a bowl game and the only way a 5 win UConn team does it is if The Big Ten retroactively invites them for the 2015 seaon, because a G-5 team isn't doing it. There probably is a better chance of a 5-7 P5 team jumping over 6-6 UConn team for a bowl, so the answer is still no.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Sorry I was wrong about the .500 record, but the general rule of thumb is 6 wins. Stars have to align with the moon, Pluto and the Mars Rover for a 5 win team to make a bowl game and the only way a 5 win UConn team does it is if The Big Ten retroactively invites them for the 2015 seaon, because a G-5 team isn't doing it. There probably is a better chance of a 5-7 P5 team jumping over 6-6 UConn team for a bowl, so the answer is still no.

Like the P5 team from North Texas in 2001.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We'll need 6 wins. Even with 6 wins, it's not a 100% guaranteed that we would get a bowl invitation. Temple was 6-6 last year and did not get invited...probably for two reasons: they have a VERY poor reputation for fan support (i.e. can't sell tickets) and they finished the year 1-4 (their win was an unimpressive 10-3 game against Tulane).

Our 6-6 would be different because, to get there, we will have to finish the season stronger than 1-4. We will have had to beaten ECU (Check!) and one of the ranked teams left on our schedule, in addition to Tulane. And while our attendance hasn't been exceptional this season, it has gotten slightly better until last night. We've sold bowl tickets before and would have a better reputation than Temple last year to do it again.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Every single bowl imaginable would invite a 5-7 Nebraska over a 5-7 or 6-6 UConn. Their fanbase is one of the best, if not THE best, at traveling support.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Like the P5 team from North Texas in 2001.
What P5 team in 2001? The P5 is a brand new phenomenon and North Texas is not a part of it. Rules were different in 2001. The question was can UCONN make a bowl game at 5-7. The answer is no.

Reaction Score
Every single bowl imaginable would invite a 5-7 Nebraska over a 5-7 or 6-6 UConn. Their fanbase is one of the best, if not THE best, at traveling support.

It doesn't seem like they'd have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom