Can Uconn learn from Gonzaga? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Uconn learn from Gonzaga?

Reaction Score
Maybe this is one thing we can learn, stop wasting valuable recruiting resources chasing the Kentucky one and done's who aren't likely to come here anyway, and even if they do come here their impact is nill (Andre Drummond).
That is kind of what I was trying to get at it. Seems you got my point.

Uconn absolutely CAN NOT go toe to toe with the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world in regards to recruiting, for the forseeable future, except for once in a blue moon. Even if they do win one guy over those kinds of teams from time to time, there is a chance he might be one and done...at least with Kentucky and duke they just reload with other one and dones each year. Uconn can not reload like that. They need to approach recruiting from another angle because they will not be able to reload as rapidly, at least for the next 5 to 10 years.

Reaction Score
That is kind of what I was trying to get at it. Seems you got my point.

Uconn absolutely CAN NOT go toe to toe with the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world in regards to recruiting, for the forseeable future, except for once in a blue moon. Even if they do win one guy over those kinds of teams from time to time, there is a chance he might be one and done...at least with Kentucky and duke they just reload with other one and dones each year. Uconn can not reload like that. They need to approach recruiting from another angle because they will not be able to reload as rapidly, at least for the next 5 to 10 years.
The program that most reminds me of UConn is Michigan St., with the biggest difference being success in the tournament.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The question is why aren't we dominating the AAC. The answer is that our recruiting was hurt by the ban, CR, Calhoun's retirement, and certain players not panning out like we hoped. It's been a rough stretch since Kemba or even Dyson left town, 2014 aside. Hopefully, all that ends next year. I feel like next years team in terms of raw athleticism will be our best in years. They just need to wise up and execute.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is what people were afraid of 4 years ago. At this point, we'd take that in a heartbeat.

Look around. Right now we're the east coast Butler or SDSU or Wichita State and not trending in the right direction.

I'm looking around but a little confused
When did Butler, SDSU or WSU win their last NC?

Reaction Score
Over the past 3 years, including this one:

Butler - 2 NCAAT appearances, 2 NCAAT wins, plus projected as a #3 seed by Lunardi for 2017
SDSU - 1 NCAAT appearance, 1 NCAAT win
Wichita State - 2 NCAAT appearances, 3 NCAAT wins (plus 1st Four), plus projected as a #8 seed by Lunardi for 2017

Over that same 3 year period, we match SDSU and are outclassed by the other two. These have been our peers over the last 3 years.

Going forward, we'll see. Better than this year? Of course. Perennially ranked and the class of our mid-major conference (i.e. our expectations for this program as of a few years ago)? Remains to be seen.

Well framed. Since this season isn't over. Try a 4 year window (a recruiting cycle) for those programs and tell me with which you would trade places.

They are not our peers. They are good programs in program-best runs. We are having an off year. Like I said, check back in two years.

Reaction Score
Well, to be honest, When the news broke that we would be in this conference, I think the general assumption was that we would become what Gonzaga had been over the last 15 years. The reality is we have not so far. Gonzaga finishes first in their conference every year. I would love for UConn to do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom