Can UConn be as good as SC this year? | The Boneyard

Can UConn be as good as SC this year?

Reaction Score
SC is the best team in wcbb right now, even with the Mizzou loss yesterday. UConn, as the team stands today, doesn't have a realistic chance to compete for a national championship. But we have four players injured. If some or all of the injured players return in time to get back into the flow before the NCAAs, can we expect to compete evenly with SC and other top teams?

Assuming that returning players are at least as good as they were pre-injury, but not greatly better, how much does UConn improve? Nika and Azzi are most likely to be back and at full strength within the next month. Nika will give other players rest time and we'll be better with her but not that much better. Azzi also provides another body to rest other players but she'll need to knock down 4 or 5 threes a game to have a big impact. With both of them back we are better but not as good as SC.

It isn't clear if Paige and Aubrey return or not. Aubrey hasn't played basketball in a loooong time and even after cleared to play will need time to be a significant contributor. Add Nika, Azzi and Aubrey to what we have and we still aren't as good as SC.

Add Paige along with Nika and Azzi, we are as good as anyone. Paige is such a huge talent that just adding her alone is a significant upgrade. Anything Aubrey could add to the mix would be gravy.

Reaction Score
Getting Azzi, Nika and Aubrey back sooner rather than later will be a big help and give the team time to develop and mesh... BUT, the return of Paige will lift the spirits and drive of the entire team and make UCONN a different entity going forward. No one will take UCONN for granted for the rest of the Season. Her presence will rally the Team to new heights and make UCONN a contender...regardless of how the season goes before her return.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Some seasons - 2001-2002, 2015-2016 - were almost totally predictable (especially with the benefit of hindsight). This season has been wildly unpredictable, and the next few months will likely be just as unpredictable.

We can take heart in the possibility that we will be healthy and playing our best basketball in late March and early April. That is one scenario. But as Yogi said, it is hard to make predictions, especially about the future.

SC lost to an unranked team that had only seven players available and their best player out. So we know that no one is invincible.

Even if we get a 3 or 4 seed, we are likely to be in Bridgeport for the Regionals so it will essentially be a home game. That is worth something as well. Anything can happen at the Final Four.

Buckle up, it could be an interesting ride.

Reaction Score
I think you have a group of great teams that are capable of winning a natty. One thing is clear to me is that in recent years, you are seeing even more parity in this game than before. More good players, teams and coaches across the board. It is becoming even more challenging than ever to win a national title.

Reaction Score
With everyone healthy, I personally felt like it was going to be like Stevie’s freshman year with Notre Dame, how we broke through in the final four because we got better as the year went on. Lost to the the the first game we played. Even with everyone, I felt like they beat us again at their place, only because they are at home. We then take them out in the final four or title game. Before injuries and the Covid situation, this is what I felt like was our destiny.

sun

Reaction Score
Add Nika, Azzi and Aubrey to what we have and we still aren't as good as SC.
Maybe, maybe not.
But UConn doesn't need to beat SC if another team eliminates them from the tourney first.
UConn only needs to worry about their next game because that's the only thing in their control.
It's one step at a time, one basket at a time, one play at a time...

Reaction Score
It's certainly possible but UConn simply can't compete with South Carolina's front court..........the only way they beat SC is if the UConn front court simply holds their own while the rest of the team has a great shooting game.......with everybody back including PB, I'd give them a 35%-40% chance of winning that game........

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If Nika and Azzi can become and stay healthy, they will be a very good team before Bueckers returns. If the same is true for Aubrey, even better. If they have Paige back and at or above 90% for 2-3 weeks before the show, everybody else will be nervous.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
SC is the best team in wcbb right now, even with the Mizzou loss yesterday. UConn, as the team stands today, doesn't have a realistic chance to compete for a national championship. But we have four players injured. If some or all of the injured players return in time to get back into the flow before the NCAAs, can we expect to compete evenly with SC and other top teams?

Assuming that returning players are at least as good as they were pre-injury, but not greatly better, how much does UConn improve? Nika and Azzi are most likely to be back and at full strength within the next month. Nika will give other players rest time and we'll be better with her but not that much better. Azzi also provides another body to rest other players but she'll need to knock down 4 or 5 threes a game to have a big impact. With both of them back we are better but not as good as SC.

It isn't clear if Paige and Aubrey return or not. Aubrey hasn't played basketball in a loooong time and even after cleared to play will need time to be a significant contributor. Add Nika, Azzi and Aubrey to what we have and we still aren't as good as SC.

Add Paige along with Nika and Azzi, we are as good as anyone. Paige is such a huge talent that just adding her alone is a significant upgrade. Anything Aubrey could add to the mix would be gravy.
A fair and honest assessment. I agree.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think you have a group of great teams that are capable of winning a natty. One thing is clear to me is that in recent years, you are seeing even more parity in this game than before. More good players, teams and coaches across the board. It is becoming even more challenging than ever to win a national title.
You don’t need to be great all year, just during those last 3 weekends, a maybe catch a break ( a favorable referees call) and get a lucky bounce or two alone the way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t know. I do know South Carolina looked very, very good against us in the fourth quarter.

Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing a healthy Azzi Fudd. If she truly is the lights out shooter that she has the reputation of being all of a sudden we become an extraordinarily difficult team to match up against. this is particularly true with the emergence of Caroline.

I don’t know if we can match up against the South Carolina bigs, OK I do know… we can’t, but they won’t be able to sit in the paint if we have a perimeter team of a healthy Bueckers, Fudd and DuCharme. That potentially could be a fascinating chess game with each team attempting to impose its will in style of play on the other.

Regardless of the loss, South Carolina is an extraordinarily formidable team this year. Stanford too, is a very good team. I’ll just come out and say it. I thought we would be the team to beat this year. We’re not, but we’re in the hunt and have the potential to be dramatically improved by March.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
great teams? as if. the only material differences in the scene today is the portal free for all, and the bugs impact on the usual routines. das it.
a veritable sea of mediocrity. here's what it all looks like to me lately;
pick, roll, hope the defender falls down. or jack a 3, and hope it goes in.
plodding and far from electric is what im getting on the tube.
sc is just plodding along marginally better at the moment. seriously, many of these games (not ours. we got some issues right now, removing us from judgement) feel like im watching the farm auction up in Middletown. interesting, but far from exciting.
iffn we get whole, we're gonna pound (actually run and dance) sc, or anyone else for that matter, into the ground.
'we're gonna rock down to,
electric avenue,
and then we'll take it higher...'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
no because the best players on the team are sophomores or freshmen.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well with the emergence of Caroline and Dorka and we bring back our injured at 100% then we have a different team then we had earlier in the season. The middle will open up with our shooters and Dorka down low is a big plus that we didnt have earlier in the season. I think we are then the team to beat. The biggest reason is we have guards and we have ballhandlers that attack the rim. Just having Paige Caroline and Azzi in the game we will make a better percentage of foul shots and less turnovers. SC is not a good outside shooting team and not a great foul shooting team. There's not alot of defense that has to be played against either. One thing is for sure. Nobody wants to face a UConn team that is healthy and playing at their potential.

Reaction Score

I don't think we have a realistic shot at winning the championship this year. 1. We need a 100% healthy and fit Paige to do that. I find it hard to believe she can be at her best after this surgery, and being off the court for so long, even if she return for the Big Dance. 2. We need Azzi to be well integrated to the team and dominating at one guard spot. She has been healing for weeks and continues to do so. Games are being cancelled by the bushel, so playing time remains to be seen. 3. Caroline needs to be in top form, as well. She was well on her way, but Omicron has waylaid her progress ( no games ). I think DeBerry is a key as well. She can be a dominating player inside. But her three minutes a game can't multiply until there are games. So she is likely off schedule now, also. Everyone else, of course, might face the same hurdles. But is seems that the Big East is where all the shut downs and cancellations are occurring, at the moment. With these talents, and the UCONN coaching, anything is possible. But right this second, the odds have to be long.

Reaction Score
The rest of the country also will be improved by March as well..

Reaction Score
It's certainly possible but UConn simply can't compete with South Carolina's front court..........the only way they beat SC is if the UConn front court simply holds their own while the rest of the team has a great shooting game.......with everybody back ihrincluding PB, I'd give them a 35%-40% chance of winning that game........
What you say is true. But not impossible. With ONO, Edward, Dorka, Griffin (???), Assume Paige does not return, here is still loads of talent and 2, proven this year, terrific shooters AZZI and Caroline. Christyn Williams tends to show up later in the year--and this is HER year if she will take it. She can score big, she can hit the 3, she can drive enough to keep the posts guessing. I'm speaking POTENTIAL Uconn has it. Will everyone needed show up for all the games they must win---Well?
I'm a FAN. I'll complain as anyone else but I'll enjoy each game left for this year--as Brooklyn FANs all too often said--wait until NEXT YEAR. until then, I'm watching UCWBB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom