Can Sunday be topped? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Sunday be topped?

Reaction Score
Louisville fan here.

We're not normally going 4-22 from 3 and you're not normally going 14-26, but that's what makes this such a great game. Lots of unpredictable and improbable things happen. We've certainly seen that on the men's side also - lots of blue-clad folks shaking their heads in Kentucky today.

You guys were deserving winners. I was mightily impressed by Samuelson's performance.

I haven't gone back and watched the game again yet, but it seemed to me that UConn got most of the contested balls, tipped-and-fought for rebounds, etc. Credit to your players for that hustle.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Well, there were some things in the box score that can certainly be improved on:

1. Napheesa was 4-for-13, which is obviously way below her average or the expectation for her. I think that was because the Louisville coaches decided that she was the key to stopping UConn, and that if they did stop her, they could safely let 3-point shooters fire at will. It does show that her offense can be neutralized so that UConn MUST make 3-point shots to beat good opponents.

2. Louisville only had 5 turnovers for the entire game. They aren't such great ball handlers that they should be able to do that. It appeared that UConn was focused on covering the shooters rather than getting turnovers, which turned out (luckily) to be an effective strategy yesterday, since Louisville was 4-for-22 on 3-point attempts.

But your overall point is very valid: UConn basically won because they had a fantastic 3-point shooting game that is quite unlikely to be repeated. If UConn had shot 35% rather than 54% from the arc, would they have won the game? Most likely not. But that 35% is really all they can count on in the upcoming game(s).

I expect that UConn will face Notre Dame on Friday evening, and I rate that game as a tossup. UConn, including Napheesa, should score more easily against ND than against either Louisville or UCLA, and I don't think Mabrey will be able to defend either Crystal or Chrystyn. If ND decides to play zone because of that, many offensive rebounds should be available. If UConn shoots 35% from 3-point land, clears the defensive boards as well as it did against Louisville, avoids fouls, and doesn't let Ogunbuwale have a dominant game, they should win.

I don't see a winning strategy against Baylor that does not involve another cannonade from 3-point land. It would be nice if Oregon eliminates that problem on our behalf.

You say a lot of valid things but ...

On Dec 2 UConn beat Notre Dame by 18 when Collier was held to 16 and UConn was 4-17 23%) from 3. Just because they won with great 3 pt shooting last nite doesn't prove or suggest anything.
UConn also lost at Baylor by 11 on a day they shot 29%. If they had shot 40% (6 more baskets) or if the game had been in Storrs instead of Waco it could be UConn with the overall 1 seed. LOL. See how easy it is?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom