Can stewie guard mcbride? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can stewie guard mcbride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's silly. I'd gladly pull Stewie away from the boards if she was the best option vs McBride. Stewie's length makes for an intriguing possibility and I think it's worth a shot. But I wouldn't be overly surprised if it didn't work because of McBride's strength advantage.

If it were me, I'd give Tuck a chance.

McBride is a unique talent. The fact is neither Kelly nor KML have had much luck with her. It's all about her strength which allows her to create the smallest bit of space and then elevate and shoot even when she doesn't have much separation. In the end, I'd give her different looks, running different (KML, Kelly, Stewie and Tuck) and RESTED defenders at her all nite. I say RESTED because you can't exect Kelly or KML to play 40 minutes and guard McBride.

Maybe we can zone her a l;ittle bit. It might reduce her one on one opps. There's also the triangle and 2 which I'm not sure Geno has used before. We've got time to prepare. And so do they. This is a fascinating aspect to the matchup.

McBride is much too fast for Stewie to guard. It looks like UConn will play a lot of zone. When we play person (man) Kelly is still the best option. I will be interested to see if MoJeff plays Skylar.

Reaction Score
Sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. Just think that Stewie would be at a huge disadvantage in the open floor. Our guards are going to have to pressure the ball before Mcbride gets it. Besides, Stewie is going to create matchup headaches for ND.

MAGIC: as noted in my other post on this thread, I wasn't trying to single you out. YOur "sorry" to "VOWEL" says alot about you as a person. Nice going....we don't see enough of that on here. I admire your maturity. A tip of the cap...and stay well..

Reaction Score
I think, yes, Stewart can guard McBride. This is something I would try (I still can't believe Kelly has not been more successful). Stewart's long arms would do two things: 1) make McBride alter her outside shot to get it over Stewart 2) still be able to reach and block a shot from behind if McBride goes by her (this is how BS gets a lot of her blocks, if you notice). Only downside is picking up fouls. Geno must tell her to use her length and not her body, and hope BS can play smart.

The last person I want guarding her is KML. The biggest reason being that KML will expend a lot of energy trying to keep up and I feel this will hinder KML's offensive game by making her tired. Perhaps an even bigger reason, picking up fouls (true for BS as well, but we need KML's outside shooting). Besides, so far this has not worked.

The best defense is to use a box in one, where one player (Kelly) is designated to basically face guard McBride, while the other 4 play a zone. If ND is successful and we go man to man, the issue here is that ND may uses a lot of screens and double screens to spring her loose. So Geno needs to have a strategy for this. Another not so small issue is of course, SD, if she gets hot.

I hope that UConn does not overplay ND on defense. Give ND a chance, to m*ck up, for a change and keep them away from the free throw line. Also, UConn must put pressure on the ball handlers coming up the court and try and make their job difficult. All in all easier said than done, but that is why they play the game.

Reaction Score
What are you guys , and gals , talking about ?? Are you totally discounting Duke's chances tonight ?? I happen to think that Duke has a good chance to win tonight. So maybe we should be talking about who guards Jones , and Williams, etc.......

I'll take up this conversation later tonight after the Dukies do in the Dame.
So much for that conversation!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Perhaps, shooting jump shots over he would be next to impossible. I don't see McBride as a rim attacker so I would def try it

Reaction Score
MAGIC: as noted in my other post on this thread, I wasn't trying to single you out. YOur "sorry" to "VOWEL" says alot about you as a person. Nice going....we don't see enough of that on here. I admire your maturity. A tip of the cap...and stay well..
Thank you.

Reaction Score
... When we play person (man) Kelly is still the best option. I will be interested to see if MoJeff plays Skylar.

Yes! Faris had considerable success against McBride last time around, and Jefferson has the speed, lateral quickness and tenacity to make Diggins life miserable (potential foul trouble notwithstanding).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Did Kelly guard McBride in the last game? I know Geno switched things in the SB game (KML was on her and Kelly on Diggins). I don't recall what the match-ups were in the BET. I'm not sure what to do with McBride. She's so big and strong and it's her mid-range game coming off a simple pick-and-roll that is lethal. She's not a great 3-point shooter but when she makes them they're big.

I'll answer my own question. I re-watched the BET final and Kelly guarded McBride at the end of the game (last few minutes) but KML had her for most of the game except for switches. The defense on her was not all that bad; she just made tough shots.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno wants Stewart guarding a perimeter player like McBride. He wants her guarding post players (Braker/Wright) so she can be in position to protect the rim by blocking shots.

Reaction Score
Why is it that Mcbride gives only uconn fits and is mediocre against other teams?

Reaction Score
Why is it that Mcbride gives only uconn fits and is mediocre against other teams?

If you think she's mediocre against other teams, you haven't been watching many games. She's a very good player.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is a great defensive team not because they are physically imposing or lightning quick, but rather because their communication is such that their opponents wind up being a step behind them. That forces quick shots, tough shots and reduces connecting plays.

The Irish also work the ball to the high post in order to relocate out to open shooters or cutters and thus defeat a zone defense. ND also has its defenders remain stationary near the basket in order to draw fouls.

The keys for UConn are to defend without fouling, to be quick on switches in screens, good ball movement and reversal to find open players, and to hit three point shots.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno wants Stewart guarding a perimeter player like McBride. He wants her guarding post players (Braker/Wright) so she can be in position to protect the rim by blocking shots.

Exactly - Stewie is at her best when she keeps one eye on a forward/post and hedges a little to threaten drivers and shooters. Her best work is done in SPACE. If you have her face guarding an aggressive ballhandler like McBride, Muffet is likely to have McBride (or whomever) drive right up into Breanna and force contact. Not what we want to have happen. She is capable of guarding one-on-one and then blocking shots but against ND this will more than likely lead to whistles. Better to utilize her shot blocking as a help defender from the lane

Reaction Score
Thanks all for a largely thoughtful, informed response to my initial question. Appreciated.

I guess I still wonder though about trying it on a possession or two, just to see if the change up throws mcbride off (say on an out of bounds where she seemed to score every time). Anything that could disrupt her rhythm would be nice.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am torn between using a 2-3 or a 3-2 zone. In a 3-2 I might put Stewie front and center playing KML and Stef low and putting Bria and MoJeff on the upper corners.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if we practice anything other than a 2-3 in half court (could be wrong), but if we just think of hypotheticals, I think a 1-3-1 would be my choice, with Stewart in the middle. I also like the 3-2 against a team like ND, to contest the wings and take away gaps at the top, but I think Stewie is too exposed to the dribbler at the middle of the 3-2 front. I would want her in a help situation. Having someone like Bria or MoJeff at the point lets you steer a dribbler or at least slow them down if they drive the lane. Where they meet Stewie ;)

Although it's not 100% ideal for her, Stef is usually quick enough to run baseline at the back--although right now this may be asking too much with her shin and ankle issues. (Kiah certainly is quick enough.) And Stef is great at defending baseline and boxing people into double teams from underneath.

.............MoJeff/Bria
KML........Stewie..........Kelly
...............Stef/Kiah

Reaction Score
From viewing the tourney games so far, it appears the official's have gotten together and decided to be judicious in calling fouls. More of a let 'em play attitude. If this continues, it could help us. I've got a good feeling about the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom