Can someone remind me.. | The Boneyard

Can someone remind me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
What happened last year when Notre Dame beat us in the last regular season meeting? I'm drawing a blank.............

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
That would be UConn won the BE Championship. Does that help?

AH! Yes, exactly.. We got embarrassed in that last game, AT HOME. And we beat them, to actually win a championship. Something they have only experienced once, in the history of their program

Reaction Score
AH! Yes, exactly.. We got embarrassed in that last game, AT HOME. And we beat them, to actually win a championship. Something they have only experienced once, in the history of their program
Careful there, Kait. You are sounding a little much like our orange clad friends to the south back when UConn was a budding program.

Reaction Score
If you are referring to the last regular season game, that was the game in Hartford when Coach Auriemma threw in the towel with about three minutes remaining in a 13 point loss.

Reaction Score
If you are referring to the last regular season game, that was the game in Hartford when Coach Auriemma threw in the towel with about three minutes remaining in a 13 point loss.
Believe she meant what happened AFTER that loss.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Careful there, Kait. You are sounding a little much like our orange clad friends to the south back when UConn was a budding program.

But Notre Dame isn't budding.... They've been around for quite awhile. I don't understand how all of these people are jumping on UConn, questioning their mental toughness, that they didn't deserve the game. It's ridiculous. They made mistakes, yes. But they played their hearts out, and being armchair quarterbacks does nothing. The criticisms are embarrassing really. It's a regular season loss that LITERALLY means nothing. Oh, we didn't win a regular season championship. Big deal, that means nothing anyway. We win tournaments. And I'm sure the girls will be fired up for the Big East tournament in the same way they were last year.

Reaction Score
I am hopeful that a few days off to think about things - and rest - will help the team refocus. It seems to me they may be pressing too much - to play out of a funk, to not make mistakes. They need to stop thinking and just start playing. Like muscle memory. Of the three points that Geno always stresses, they are only hitting on one of three. No doubt they are playing hard. But they are not playing smart, and it doesn't look like they are having fun. Need to get back to at least two out of three. If they play hard, and play smart - the fun part will come along for the ride.

Reaction Score
But Notre Dame isn't budding.... They've been around for quite awhile. I don't understand how all of these people are jumping on UConn, questioning their mental toughness, that they didn't deserve the game. It's ridiculous. They made mistakes, yes. But they played their hearts out, and being armchair quarterbacks does nothing. The criticisms are embarrassing really. It's a regular season loss that LITERALLY means nothing. Oh, we didn't win a regular season championship. Big deal, that means nothing anyway. We win tournaments. And I'm sure the girls will be fired up for the Big East tournament in the same way they were last year.

You're right, but this loss does mean something. ND has had their number for two years; last year they were absolutely the better team, this year it's a bit more even. And still UConn has only won 1 of 6 these past two years. There is a mental block when it comes to ND, and UConn had this game at several points, but they made dumb mistakes and couldn't close out. That tells me that this team is missing something. Sure, you can say that all it takes is for one call or play that went ND's way to go UConn's way and we would be talking about a different game, and you are absolutely right, and that's what the game of basketball is about. But, we say this after every game they lose; "if only THIS had happened, they would have won". It's no longer coincidence that they lose these close games, it's a pattern and that will be tough to overcome down the stretch.

I hope I'm wrong, I want nothing more than for Kelly to leave as National Champion, but I just don't think they can. I do think UConn wins the BET, but I just don't think UConn has shown they can win these games.

You're right, on paper this game means nothing, but in reality, this game meant a lot. I hope they come back from this loss, but they haven't really grown from their other loses, what makes this one different?

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
You're right, but this loss does mean something. ND has had their number for two years; last year they were absolutely the better team, this year it's a bit more even. And still UConn has only won 1 of 6 these past two years. There is a mental block when it comes to ND, and UConn had this game at several points, but they made dumb mistakes and couldn't close out. That tells me that this team is missing something. Sure, you can say that all it takes is for one call or play that went ND's way to go UConn's way and we would be talking about a different game, and you are absolutely right, and that's what the game of basketball is about. But, we say this after every game they lose; "if only THIS had happened, they would have won". It's no longer coincidence that they lose these close games, it's a pattern and that will be tough to overcome down the stretch.

I hope I'm wrong, I want nothing more than for Kelly to leave as National Champion, but I just don't think they can. I do think UConn wins the BET, but I just don't think UConn has shown they can win these games.

You're right, on paper this game means nothing, but in reality, this game meant a lot. I hope they come back from this loss, but they haven't really grown from their other loses, what makes this one different?

When Notre Dame starts winning championships as a result of beating us, then I will start worrying. Until then, I won't. Without Skylar, I'm certainly not worried about them.

Reaction Score
You're right, on paper this game means nothing, but in reality, this game meant aslot. I hope they come back from this loss, but they haven't really grown from their other loses, what makes this one different?

This game means nothing??? It meant we lost a share of the BE regular season. And I have read quotes from Geno saying numerous times that winning the season championship is always a goal for the team. I gurantee he thinks it means something.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When Notre Dame starts winning championships as a result of beating us, then I will start worrying. Until then, I won't. Without Skylar, I'm certainly not worried about them.

We said that last year about all their seniors.
ND will be formidable next year.

Reaction Score
We said that last year about all their seniors.
ND will be formidable next year.
But they won't be in our conference (whatever conference name it shall have). The end of multiple meetings in a year, maybe not even once per year. They will not be our problem next year.

Oh, and all those who expect to win every conference game should be happy. There will be no one in the yet-to-be-named conference that will have a prayer against UConn.

Problem solved - though not the way I would have chosen.

Reaction Score
But they won't be in our conference (whatever conference name it shall have). The end of multiple meetings in a year, maybe not even once per year. They will not be our problem next year.

Oh, and all those who expect to win every conference game should be happy. There will be no one in the yet-to-be-named conference that will have a prayer against UConn.

Problem solved - though not the way I would have chosen.

So the mighty UConn program will be OK since ND will be leaving and there is no one worthy in the conference? Wow! Whatever happened to the days when we looked for head to head with Tennnessee and then went out and dominated them too?

Reaction Score
So the mighty UConn program will be OK since ND will be leaving and there is no one worthy in the conference? Wow! Whatever happened to the days when we looked for head to head with Tennnessee and then went out and dominated them too?
Clearly the sarcasm was over your head.

Reaction Score
This game means nothing??? It meant we lost a share of the BE regular season. And I have read quotes from Geno saying numerous times that winning the season championship is always a goal for the team. I gurantee he thinks it means something.

Did you read my whole post?

I said that this game means nothing on paper; it was not a tournament game and the regular season title is decided over 16 games, this was one game. So yes, technically this game did not mean much; UConn is still going to play in the BET and NCAA, they just didn't win the regular season, but that was based on 16 games, not one game. Sure, they were still in it until this game, but it was 2 games that decided the regular season, not one game (and in some years it's more than that, or even less if the #1 is a complete runaway and the next 15 is really muddled).

Side note, I was actually saying the game DID mean something in my original post, but that when you look at the whole scheme of things the game was not that important to the ultimate goal of the season. Remember, the regular season determines seeding in the tournament, but it is the tournament champion that gets the automatic bid to NCAA and carries a lot of weight heading forward.

Anyway, my point was that this game, in theory, has very little to do with the rest of the season, but I think the mental aspect is too much for this team right now.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

Sure it's a goal, but is it more important than a tournament championship? Absolutely not

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Having played sports all my life I can tell you that it most certainly meant something to the players, coaching staff and about 99.999999% of every fan.

Losing to an opponent regularly creates self doubt and can eventually break your spirit and make you wonder if you are as good.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Having played sports all my life I can tell you that it most certainly meant something to the players, coaching staff and about 99.999999% of every fan.

Losing to an opponent regularly creates self doubt and can eventually break your spirit and make you wonder if you are as good.

I also played sports all of my life. Of course it hurts to lose, but this exact thing happened last season and we beat them in the Big East tournament. That's all I was saying. Everyone getting their underwear in knots over this isn't looking at the bigger picture. Losing to them last year didn't break their spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom