Can someone give me a rules clarification? | The Boneyard

Can someone give me a rules clarification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
A defensive player can't even think of putting a hand on an offensive player without the whistle blowing, but the offensive player can straight out shove the defender out of the way?

I thought that was an offensive foul? That's how the refs called the game though. Hanlon shoved Napier and Boatright at least four times, he wasn't even subtle about it...

Reaction Score
I started a similar thread. BC was heinous about this all night and never got callled for it.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I wanted to punch Saunders in the face when he said "great clear out" on the 4th egregious push off. One of which, by the way, was whistled on Bazz?!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The zebras certainly missed a string of calls tonight, seemed to all be in BCU's favor. That played a big role in their comeback.
Personally, I don't think the driving player should ever be rewarded with a foul call when he deliberately throws his body into the defender, but in addition to the hand-check and chuck the cutter calls the zebras seem to be even more in favor of rewarding players on offense who initiate contact.

Reaction Score
I don't remember an outcry about hand checking last year. But we are hearing constant chatter from everyone, fans, announcers, sportscasters about how all these games are turning into foul fests.

Has enforcing these new rules turn into one of those, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Rewatching the game this morning. Nolan's 2nd foul was also a joke. The only contact between he and Hanlan was Hanlan's forearm in his chest. He was straight up. This is where the way the game is being officiated is bothering me the most. They are extending the conservatism of the hand checking rules into the post and making it nearly impossible to challenge a shot without getting whistled. It's destroying the game. I hope we have a different crew tonight.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I finished watching this morning as well. Officials seemed to feel that BCU drives were legitimate and UConn drives were just players who were looking to get cheap fouls. Anderson seemed to deliberately try to run into defenders and got consistently rewarded. Hanlan blatantly pushed off on almost every drive and it was never called. Both seemed to get special zebra treatment for some reason.
BCU also did took full advantage, draining an impressive 25 of 26 FTs as a team.
BCU's spread offense, with their bigs operating outside the 3 pt. line, really took AB out of the game. Perfect storm of events for BCU with these events coupled with horrid games from Bazz & Omar + sub-par games from Giffey, PN and Kromah, but thankfully, we survived it. Repeat this performance against IU and it will be ugly.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
-Nolan's 2nd foul was a JOKE (Agreed OkaForPrez)

-Brimah's 3rd foul in the second half was also a TOTAL JOKE (there was literally ZERO contact when BCs player spun AWAY from him)

-Shabazz's second foul also a total joke, should have been offensive foul

-Multiple push-offs by Hanlan(4 to my count). I don't blame him for continually doing it if he's not getting called. Mind-boggling how it wasn't called ONCE.

Reaction Score
Hanlan clearly had several offensive fouls that were NOT called.

I think this defensive hand-check stuff has swung too far in the wrong direction on the spectrum of things.
My hope is that this corrects itself as the season progresses, but doubt it will after the nonsense I saw last night...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love the play when the shot clock was running down and Hanlan literally looked at the defender, lower his shoulder and plowed into him and then fell backwards, blocking call

he seemed to push off with his right hand every time he went to the hole

and yes, I saw those phantom calls as well, literally no contact fouls

Reaction Score
I started a similar thread. BC was heinous about this all night and never got callled for it.

I think twice, maybe even 3 times they called a foul on our guy for playing D by getting his body to the spot first and getting shoved with a stiff arm or an arm bar. I am so amazed at the composure of our coach and team, I was sure Shabazz would flip out but man he has matured.

Those were some awful calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak