Can someone explain to me | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can someone explain to me

Reaction Score
The Cole slander is weird to me. He hasn’t been first team all big east but he’s also clearly the best 1 on this team right now, and the offense looks the best when he’s in the game. And they have one loss to a top ten team they dominated for most of the game.

Taliek would love to read some of this ____. I’m sure there were posters in this thread calling on him to transfer right up until the 2004 tourney.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm stupid. But you're the one who wrote Cole and John Stockton can both shoot.
So, put it this way. I'm stupid, but I'm not out of my mind delusional and deranged.

The difference is you were being serious and I was making a joke.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Cole slander is weird to me. He hasn’t been first team all big east but he’s also clearly the best 1 on this team right now, and the offense looks the best when he’s in the game. And they have one loss to a top ten team they dominated for most of the game.

Taliek would love to read some of this ____. I’m sure there were posters in this thread calling on him to transfer right up until the 2004 tourney.
He is the best one on our team right now. No doubt. That’s kinda the point.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah i guess I just don’t see it as some kind of catastrophe like other people seem to.
I don’t see it as a catastrophe, just a potential Achilles heel on what I see as an easily top 10 team. I’m projecting obviously. . We get 1 crack at things with this mix of players. And it’s a special mix. As uconn fans we know( if anyone does) what guard play gets you. It’s important. I’m not looking for RJ or Gaff to be kemba or El Amin. I’m looking for them ( and especially RJ because he plays really good D) to be solid.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney has a high ceiling, but he’s not even trying to scratch that potential in games and I’m not sure how much longer they can justify playing him big minutes. They already have recruited over him with Diggins, but clearly we still need more.
Disagree here. He doesn’t have to be a huge scorer to be effective. He’s CLEARLY our best distributor on offense. He made 3-4 awesome finds today for easy buckets/open 3s. He doesn’t turn it over, plays very good D, and rebounds.

Id much rather have his steady hand running things v RJ. Not everyone on the floor needs to be a shooter/score first guy.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What was this board saying about T Brown back in the day?

I know this board absolutely hated our recruiting class of 2010. A class that owns two rings. We were told that we even "landed the wrong Lamb"

We gushed over Rudy & AD, including myself, neither won anything

My point? It's all about chemistry, and I love this team. I love everyone on it, I love their energy, I love the job Hurley is doing, I love our resurgence, I love WINNING

Enjoy the ride people, we should appreciate everyone involved

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don’t see it as a catastrophe, just a potential Achilles heel on what I see as an easily top 10 team. I’m projecting obviously. . We get 1 crack at things with this mix of players. And it’s a special mix. As uconn fans we know( if anyone does) what guard play gets you. It’s important. I’m not looking for RJ or Gaff to be kemba or El Amin. I’m looking for them ( and especially RJ because he plays really good D) to be solid.

I think Cole is solid. As long as he keeps playing that great defense, he's going to be just fine as a guy that hits the occasional 3, distributes pretty well, and doesn't turn the ball over too much.

Reaction Score
Are you guys really comparing rj Cole to Antoine Anderson ??- ouch- can we just sit back and enjoy another great win with his team ? Gaffney is what he is and I still think Cole will come around -maybe not to the point to which was bestowed upon him to start the year ,but comparing him to Antoine Anderson is funny. Like someone said earlier Anderson missed like 30 straight shots -cole at Least plays good d and can score a little bit which will most likely improve

Reaction Score
I LOVED how we played so well without Bouknight and others stepped up, yet the Boneyard wants to take a glass half empty approach after every game.

Reaction Score
In a normal season..7 games into the schedule.. Players are just finding their rhythm and establishing on court team chemistry.

This is not a normal season.. We all know why..

We do not need RJ/JG to score a ton of points.. We need them to find our shooters/scorers.. Play decent D.. And limit turnovers.. Run the O per their coach.. Which they are doing....

We're three points from being 7-0..

I see them only getting better as the season goes on.. Let's just hope we can get some games in..

Reaction Score
2 turnovers combined from Cole and Gaff.

One each.

Cole played 25 min, Gaff 19.

Progre
Winning big games doesn't have to mean scoring big at PG. Limit TOs, run the team, play strong D.
Cole fills that to an acceptable level. For big games look no further than what he did to Zegarowski.
Gaff, we have to be patient. It's the toughest postion to play.
Here in the 'Yard we've wrung our hands over the early troubles of so many PGs that the list would make this post unreadable.
Collectively, we have learned PG-patience.
There aren't many Khalid El Amins around.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We’re just so used to having an all-American level player at PG that we don’t know what to make of a really good team that doesn’t have that.

I think Cole facilitates the offense well and has improved since the start of the season. Gaffney too. We have so many other guys around them that we don’t need them to be Kemba. As long as Cole continues to facilitate, not turn the ball over, hit his open 3s when he gets them, and play good on-ball defense, then that’s all we really need.

I have questions about our PG play going up against elite PG play, but it’s not as big of a deal as we think when we have Bouknight and so much depth and skill in other areas.

Reaction Score
The difference between RJ Cole and Antwoine Anderson?

I just see similarities.

Both lefty transfers from small schools. Both asked to be starters when they are bench minute players. Both trying to do things by default ( and necessity) that aren’t in their skill sets.

This team needs PG help badly. Because we’ve got a million other pieces.

gaffney really needs to step up.
I totally agree!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We’re just so used to having an all-American level player at PG that we don’t know what to make of a really good team that doesn’t have that.

I think Cole facilitates the offense well and has improved since the start of the season. Gaffney too. We have so many other guys around them that we don’t need them to be Kemba. As long as Cole continues to facilitate, not turn the ball over, hit his open 3s when he gets them, and play good on-ball defense, then that’s all we really need.

I have questions about our PG play going up against elite PG play, but it’s not as big of a deal as we think when we have Bouknight and so much depth and skill in other areas.
Kemba’s freshman year he was prone to overpenetrating. I wanted JC to give him the hook faster.

We don’t have 5 all-conference players in our starting 5. We never have. Most every team has some weaknesses. Cole is not going to break anyone down off the dribble, and we’re not used to a PG/combo in a UConn uniform who couldn’t. We’ll have to trust that Hurley will optimize his skills and ensure he runs the offense as efficiently as possible.

Reaction Score
Disagree here. He doesn’t have to be a huge scorer to be effective. He’s CLEARLY our best distributor on offense. He made 3-4 awesome finds today for easy buckets/open 3s. He doesn’t turn it over, plays very good D, and rebounds.

Id much rather have his steady hand running things v RJ. Not everyone on the floor needs to be a shooter/score first guy.
He's only "CLEARLY" our best to the people that don't make decisions on these types of things. When you figure this out, you may enjoy what these young men are doing this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom