Can someone explain our halfcourt offense to me? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can someone explain our halfcourt offense to me?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
What is the concept? I know we move the ball around the perimeter with hand offs. But what is the goal? What is the shot we are looking for? We bring our center above the foul line to screen. But to what purpose?

Cinny moved the ball from side to side and posted their center deep in the lane. When their center came to foul line to was to drag our cent high and then he would run back to the base line to either gt the ball or position. It was easy to see what they were trying and why. It produced many open shots.

But what were we doing?

I moved to CT during the 1992-93 season and in all my years of watching, we've never had a good halfcourt offense. I don't believe we ever will.

Reaction Score
IMG_7559.JPG

Reaction Score
I moved to CT during the 1992-93 season and in all my years of watching, we've never had a good halfcourt offense. I don't believe we ever will.
I respectively disagree. we have had 3 different head coaches in this time period. DH may have to step out of his comfort zone and create an offense according to the players he has.

Reaction Score
I asked this in another thread that died out, so I’ll ask it here as well. For anybody who watched URI when Hurley was there, what did his best teams look like on offense? What was their identity? I’m genuinely curious what he might be ultimately trying to achieve.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything I've seen in this thread. Something that's starting to really confuse me is the utilization of Bouk. Bouk is a cutter and a playmaker, but DH plants him in the corner and he doesn't move.

DH has said earlier in the season he hasn't written any plays yet for Bouk. Gotta get on that, not doing anyone any favors having him stand in a corner and watch.
Also what is the deal with just trying to get Akok a shot from the 3line? No posting up? Driving baseline? Akok should get the ball more in spots where he can look to drive to the basket. One dribble and right to the basket. Hes done it a couple times and has beat his man each time and has either gotten fouled or made the shot.

Reaction Score
What is the concept? I know we move the ball around the perimeter with hand offs. But what is the goal? What is the shot we are looking for? We bring our center above the foul line to screen. But to what purpose?

Cinny moved the ball from side to side and posted their center deep in the lane. When their center came to foul line to was to drag our cent high and then he would run back to the base line to either gt the ball or position. It was easy to see what they were trying and why. It produced many open shots.

But what were we doing?

bunch of false motion to a ball screen. if They defend that ball screen shot clock is at 10 and we’re screwed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is on the players. The half court sets are

1. Move the ball, don't stand and dribble.
2. Get the ball inside for a postup or a kick out.
3. Penetrate and dish, not go to the rim and get stuffed.
4. High pick and roll (we don't actually do this)
5. Double screen for Polley/Vital 3.

The problems
1. Carlton doesn't establish good low position early like the Cincy guy did.
2. We settle for bad outside shots.
3. AG was just stuffed again as you're reading this. Not just him. CV, Adams, Gaffney all do this. AG is just the most obvious.
4. We don't have any plays off this just, ball screen and hope.
5. We get this to work maybe once a game because the timing of the pass is off or the ball handlers just ignores it while dribbling.
6. We fumble simple passes and lose the dribble for no apparent reason.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Does everyone think that all the best coaches are running X and O clinics of offenses no one's ever seen?

Every single offense is some variation of motion with ball screens. His offense works when his players execute it and make shots, just like every offense.

I'm not saying he's an offensive genius, I'm saying most offenses are fairly similar and don't have some crazy variations that no one can defend. They just execute better or have better players.

Can you, as a coach, have NO idea what you're doing on offense? Ya, maybe but not likely at the D-1 level. But either way that's not Hurley. Trust that he knows what he's doing, right now the players are inconsistently executing.

Reaction Score
Vogt played 5 feet off Josh when Josh was outside. Josh actually went past Vogt on the opening play of the game. It’s utterly stupid.

I agree with your points but wanted to say that I thought Vogt made a lot of quick, decisive off-the-ball moves that got himself open. Many of our players (Carlton, Polley spring to mind) just don’t seem to show the same sense of urgency to get open and make themselves an option

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with your points but wanted to say that I thought Vogt made a lot of quick, decisive off-the-ball moves that got himself open. Many of our players (Carlton, Polley spring to mind) just don’t seem to show the same sense of urgency to get open and make themselves an option

He did. And as others pointed out, he's a guy who scored 4 PPG last year at N. Kentucky. But he's playing in a good offense with better talent now.

Reaction Score
Gilbert looked like a true point guard in that Miami game and everyone played their role. It's been awful since.

So the offense itself didn't change, it's the execution?

Rhetorical question, of course. Having been scouted over ten games, opponents have learned how to defend us, and we haven't adjusted in response and don't have many versatile offensive players that can overcome it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I respectively disagree. we have had 3 different head coaches in this time period. DH may have to step out of his comfort zone and create an offense according to the players he has.

We've always been a team that played best in transition/fast break. We've had better halfcourt offenses than what exists this year, but I can't remember that after being the hallmark of any of our teams. We may disagree on the first point, but I'm with you 100% on the second.

Reaction Score
I know the horde here at the Boneyard has been criticized by many for many years but there are some very knowledgeable people who know a lot about basketball as evidenced in this thread.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I lean towards a greater deal of the burden being placed on our guys. The instinctual comes from doing the right things repeatedly and trusting your teammates to do their jobs. Whether it's back cutting to relieve pressure on an entry pass, or having an awareness of possible press, or possessing the ability + courage to make a winning play at the end of the shot clock.

This inability to execute by the players inevitably rests on Coach Hurley. Confident he'll turn this into a teachable moment going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom