Can someone explain our halfcourt offense to me? | The Boneyard

Can someone explain our halfcourt offense to me?

Reaction Score
What is the concept? I know we move the ball around the perimeter with hand offs. But what is the goal? What is the shot we are looking for? We bring our center above the foul line to screen. But to what purpose?

Cinny moved the ball from side to side and posted their center deep in the lane. When their center came to foul line to was to drag our cent high and then he would run back to the base line to either gt the ball or position. It was easy to see what they were trying and why. It produced many open shots.

But what were we doing?

Reaction Score
What is the concept? I know we move the ball around the perimeter with hand offs. But what is the goal? What is the shot we are looking for? We bring our center above the foul line to screen. But to what purpose?

Cinny moved the ball from side to side and posted their center deep in the lane. When their center came to foul line to was to drag our cent high and then he would run back to the base line to either gt the ball or position. It was easy to see what they were trying and why. It produced many open shots.

But what were we doing?
There isn't anything to explain, it doesn't exist.

It hasn't existed in like a decade. Kemba, Bazz, and Boat bailed us out. We have no point guard to bail us out. Gilbert is a disaster and Gaffney is young.

Reaction Score
Our ball reversals at the top of the key with guys 3 feet away from eachother are very reminiscent of KO’s 3 man weave but with even less movement and pressure on the defense

Reaction Score
There isn't anything to explain, it doesn't exist.

It did in Charleston. Even before.

Ever since the Miami game, this team has regressed especially on offense.

Reaction Score
It did in Charleston. Even before.

Ever since the Miami game, this team has regressed especially on offense.
Gilbert looked like a true point guard in that Miami game and everyone played their role. It's been awful since.

Reaction Score
About 20-25% of the time the team has the ball over half court is Carlton holding the ball more than 20' from the hoop.
If Carlton is going to catch the ball that far away from the hoop...he might as well work on shooting threes. He is best near the hoop. Let the rest of the players spread the floor.

Reaction Score
If Carlton is going to catch the ball that far away from the hoop...he might as well work on shooting threes. He is best near the hoop. Let the rest of the players spread the floor.

Yup. This offense makes sense if anthony Davis was playing carlton’s position. Hurley needs to adjust to the talent he has on the team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
About 20-25% of the time the team has the ball over half court is Carlton holding the ball more than 20' from the hoop.

Carlton should never, ever touch the ball more than about 6-8 feet from the rim. Never. Nor should he ever get close to the 3 point line when guarding his man. Vogt played 5 feet off Josh when Josh was outside. Josh actually went past Vogt on the opening play of the game. It’s utterly stupid.

This half court offense is awful. Ollie‘s was awful. Calhoun’s toward the end was also awful. It’s the terrible clear out beat your man one on one offense that became popular in the NBA in the 90s and 00s. That is then supposed to cause a collapse and open up players. It worked with Kemba and Bazz. It doesn’t work otherwise. It’s 100% reliant on players exploiting individual mismatches.

Reaction Score
Our half court set does not work! There is no fluidity. Carlton needs to stay near the hoop. The high ball screens are ineffective. The dribble handoffs are terrible. Scrap this offense!
I don't understand it at all.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what it is. I will tell you this though, a lot of it is in our players. Our guards come off of screens ready to bring the ball back out. Then at the same time, they hardly ever let the screens get set, before they go. Fundamentals have to be prioritized.

Reaction Score
TOO MUCH LATERAL MOVEMENT....when players finally decided to drive Towards the basket we had far more success. Driving Towards the basket puts pressure on defense, draws fouls, creates better looks, initaties off ball cuts, and provides an option for kick outs. It should be so simple conceptually, but we refuse/are scared to do so, as many off our 6'8 and above players are some of the most timid players I've ever watch tryn to play basketball

Reaction Score
TOO MUCH LATERAL MOVEMENT....when players finally decided to drive Towards the basket we had far more success. Driving Towards the basket puts pressure on defense, draws fouls, creates better looks, initaties off ball cuts, and provides an option for kick outs. It should be so simple conceptually, but we refuse/are scared to do so, as many off our 6'8 and above players are some of the most timid players I've ever watch tryn to play basketball
Agree! How effective is a running back who only knows how to run east-west?

Reaction Score
i’m assuming danny has his offensive system that he plans to use moving forward, and doesn’t want to modify it based on the limitations of the current roster (most notably carlton).

as other have mentioned, this could work well with the players he has coming in (jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson), but is not particularly suited to this roster.

danny seems to be caught in between playing for this year and building for the future, and we are stuck with the worst of both worlds (this year’s roster with next year’s offensive system).

i would prefer a coach to tailor their gameplan to their current roster, instead of trying to force their system on the players they have. that stubbornness/lack of flexibility is a trait common among bad coaches. luckily danny has other strengths that offset this.

so far i think danny has shown his strengths are:
* program building
* recruiting
* player development
* defensive system/gameplan (?)

and his weaknesses are:
* offensive system/gameplan
* in game adjustments (strategy and lineups)
* matching gameplan to limitations of current roster

if he keeps recruiting at this clip i can see our path into a top 25 team. but ultimately our ceiling will be limited until he addresses some key weaknesses.

Reaction Score
i’m assuming danny has his offensive system that he plans to use moving forward, and doesn’t want to modify it based on the limitations of the current roster (most notably carlton).

as other have mentioned, this could work well with the players he has coming in (jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson), but is not particularly suited to this roster.

danny seems to be caught in between playing for this year and building for the future, and we are stuck with the worst of both worlds (this year’s roster with next year’s offensive system).

i would prefer a coach to tailor their gameplan to their current roster, instead of trying to force their system on the players they have. that stubbornness/lack of flexibility is a trait common among bad coaches. luckily danny has other strengths that offset this.

so far i think danny has shown his strengths are:
* program building
* recruiting
* player development
* defensive system/gameplan (?)

and his weaknesses are:
* offensive system/gameplan
* in game adjustments (strategy and lineups)
* matching gameplan to limitations of current roster

if he keeps recruiting at this clip i can see our path into a top 25 team. but ultimately our ceiling will be limited until he addresses some key weaknesses.
I think this post is pretty close to the actual situation. However, watching DH's system it is hard to figure out what the goal is. You could watch a half under Calhoun, see a wing run through a double screen and understand what JC wanted to set up and who he wanted to set it up for.

Watching DH's weave seems a lot like KO's weave where KO wanted to set up a one-on-one isolation. Except Hurley has said over and over he is not a fan of one on one play.

To this point, Hurley's half court offense has baffled me (I know that isn't very difficult), what s the shot he is after.

Reaction Score
What is the concept?

1. Gilbert over penetrates and either can’t finish at the rim or gets caught in the air trying to pass. Alternatively, he turns the ball over trying to dribble out of a double team.
2. Vital plays hero ball even tho he’s not a hero, which usually results in a bad shot or turnover.
3. Polley makes a wide open 3 once or twice a game, usually in transition. Otherwise he can’t get open and contributes nothing.
4. Carlton gained 15-20lbs too many and can no longer run or jump so he has trouble finishing over even much smaller guys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley and the team have the stated goal of winning the AAC this season and making the NCAA tournament. I don’t think he’s doing any coaching for next season. There are adjustments that need to be made with the offense, the lineups, and game management. That’s it.

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Agree with everything I've seen in this thread. Something that's starting to really confuse me is the utilization of Bouk. Bouk is a cutter and a playmaker, but DH plants him in the corner and he doesn't move.

DH has said earlier in the season he hasn't written any plays yet for Bouk. Gotta get on that, not doing anyone any favors having him stand in a corner and watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom