Can Russell Westbrook duplicate the Big O? | The Boneyard

Can Russell Westbrook duplicate the Big O?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One of Oscar Robinson's great achievements in the NBA was to average a season-wide triple-double. At this point (i.e., 32 games into an 82-game regular season), Russell Westbrook is averaging 32-11-11.

Do you think this will last? It's largely due to Kevin Durant leaving OKC for free agency (thereby forcing Westbrook to fill a tremendous void), but a season-wide triple-double would be the first in 55 years.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
If anyone could ever do it, it would be Westbrook - a physical freak with a mean streak who is now on a roster bereft of guys who can create their own offense. He's been so much fun to watch this year.

Reaction Score
Hes playing amazing and certainly has the talent for the feat. Can't help but wonder if the demands of the long season will win in the end on this one. I think if he could get a, "light" injury for like 2 weeks in like late January it would be perfect for him and give him a better chance to succeed at this

Reaction Score
Did Durant hold him back or something? The talent was there but this season he is spectacular.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Did Durant hold him back or something? The talent was there but this season he is spectacular.

Many feel they held each other back a bit. In any case, there's certainly more room for statistical contributions without each other, as RW is THE guy in OKC without question, and Durant/Steph/Klay seem to share a happy "Splash Triplet" sort of arrangement. Any of the three can be king for an evening.

Reaction Score
As a kid I used to watch Oscar on tv and IMO he was the best. 6'5" and posting up his opponent very methodically. Why doesn't KO get us somebody like him?

Reaction Score
As a kid I used to watch Oscar on tv and IMO he was the best. 6'5" and posting up his opponent very methodically. Why doesn't KO get us somebody like him?

jibsey I would love to come to your rescue and would like to apply because I certainly look the part.

But even for the Husky Run I would be way too tired just by tying up my sneakers.

oscar-robertson-sit.jpg

Reaction Score
Heard Tim Legler talk a couple weeks ago that in another month or so, he's going to have enough under him where he can hit a slump and his averages won't move much. I think it's definitely within range.

Reaction Score
To average a triple double over an 82 game season would be amazing. My guess is that he comes close, but doesn't quite make it.

Reaction Score
jibsey I would love to come to your rescue and would like to apply because I certainly look the part.

But even for the Husky Run I would be way too tired just by tying up my sneakers.

oscar-robertson-sit.jpg
Oscar would be first off the bench right now, and he doesn't double dribble or catch the ball with his foot on the sideline. He can still make his free throws. Doesn't he have 1 year of eligibility left?

Reaction Score
There have been more impressive regular seasons than oscar averaging a trip double, jordan-- the year he played pg in 1989, and lebron - 2008-2010. westbrook is impressive but honestly curry was better last year.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Oscar would be first off the bench right now, and he doesn't double dribble or catch the ball with his foot on the sideline. He can still make his free throws. Doesn't he have 1 year of eligibility left?

And he would still lead the team in rebounding.

Reaction Score
Westbrook is a ball dominant guard, and while he's got good court vision, it's not elite, and his first instinct is to score. Durant doesn't need to be ball dominant, but in OKC they essentially took turns getting theirs. It was often less awkward than that makes it sound--and it got a little better under Donovan--but essentially their strengths weren't well paired. At least that's what I thought.

Now, with Westbrook not needing to worry about who he delivers the ball to specifically, he's a one man show who can do it all; Durant is on a team that doesn't care who gets the ball and it so disrupts the defense to have Curry-Thompson-Durant on the court together that he's having a career year himself (in terms of efficiency). Just better matches. Westbrook needs a solid #2 who doesn't need the ball as much and isn't as transcendent as Durant.

On the OP's question: I think there's a good shot. He's 40% done with the season. The rebounding will be hard, but the assists are about where he was last year, so can he average roughly 9.7 rpg between now and the end of the season? I think he can.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom