Can Rudy Gay ever be an all-star... | The Boneyard

Can Rudy Gay ever be an all-star...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Given the Memphis market. He's definitely one the 10 best young players <27 in the league and he's averaging 17.8 and 6.6 so far this season. I know the NBA is definitely a stats-driven league from the fan's/ESPN's perspective, so do you think he would ever get an All-Star selection/alternate (not that it matters since the All-Star game counts for nothing)?

Reaction Score
coaches select the reserves, he won't be making it as a starter over KD in his lifetime but with Melo now in the East there's room at SF. With Zach out he's gonna get the opportunity to put up numbers and he's picked up the pace since his sluggish start. If the Grizz can stay around .500 he'll be in the convo.

Reaction Score
He's really our only peaking NBA guy now, Rip, Ray, and Caron are on the back end of their careers. Emeka and Ben have started to decline already. Kemba is just getting started. And Rudy's contemporaries (and Hasheem) didn't pan out.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure what happened to Emeka and Ben. Weren't they #1 and #2 in ROY voting a few years back? With Emeka, it just seems like he hit his ceiling. He's not as skilled as a guy like Gasol and not as athletic as a guy like Howard. He's still a solid player though, and a team can easily win a championship with him at center without worrying about him as a liability. Ben's success is going to depend on the situation. It really sucks that he left Chicago, cuz that was really the perfect situation for him. The sooner he gets out of Detroit, the better. He needs a guy that can feed him off screens in just the right spot and cleary Detroit does not have that guy.

On a contender, it's esay to see him as a Jason Terry type player who can dominate games offensively at times. He's not quite good enough to score 25 a night, but he's certainly capable of dropping 25 on any given night. If anybody watched the Boston/Chicago series a few years ago, it's easy to see what type of offensive talent he posseses.

Lamb, Drummond, and Kemba hopefully will begin a new chapter of Huskies in the NBA as guys like Rip and Ray begin to age.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ben needs to be on a Western Conference team... run & gun!

Reaction Score
I never understood why Rudy wanted to stay in Memphis. It just seems like a stale franchise and they will never overcome its competition in the western conference. I know he was a free agent in 2010 and im sure there were a good number of teams that were interested. I think this is a classic example of a player not getting the publicity and exposure because he plays in a small market on a bad team.

Thats why im kinda happy Caron went to the Clippers. Before this season, that was not someplace you wanted to land but now that they added Chris Paul they are heading in the right direction. You will see a lot of Clipper games on ESPN and TNT this season.

Reaction Score
he definitely can. especially if he keeps throwing down dunks like the one on joakim noah tonight.

Reaction Score
arrgh. Would've loved to see that matchup in 2006~!

Reaction Score
Rudy was a restricted free agent, seeing as how the Grizzlies offered him a max deal before Rudy got offers from any other team they were going to match whatever was offered to him and retain him. The Grizzlies have a pretty damn good roster, if both Zach Randolph and Darrell Arthur were healthy(unless Randolph suffers a setback he'll return this season) thats a top 4 team talent wise in the West and they've generated more fan interest after their playoff run. That's not a bad situation to be in.

I never understood why Rudy wanted to stay in Memphis. It just seems like a stale franchise and they will never overcome its competition in the western conference. I know he was a free agent in 2010 and im sure there were a good number of teams that were interested. I think this is a classic example of a player not getting the publicity and exposure because he plays in a small market on a bad team.

Thats why im kinda happy Caron went to the Clippers. Before this season, that was not someplace you wanted to land but now that they added Chris Paul they are heading in the right direction. You will see a lot of Clipper games on ESPN and TNT this season.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure what happened to Emeka and Ben. Weren't they #1 and #2 in ROY voting a few years back? With Emeka, it just seems like he hit his ceiling. He's not as skilled as a guy like Gasol and not as athletic as a guy like Howard. He's still a solid player though, and a team can easily win a championship with him at center without worrying about him as a liability. Ben's success is going to depend on the situation. It really sucks that he left Chicago, cuz that was really the perfect situation for him. The sooner he gets out of Detroit, the better. He needs a guy that can feed him off screens in just the right spot and cleary Detroit does not have that guy.

On a contender, it's esay to see him as a Jason Terry type player who can dominate games offensively at times. He's not quite good enough to score 25 a night, but he's certainly capable of dropping 25 on any given night. If anybody watched the Boston/Chicago series a few years ago, it's easy to see what type of offensive talent he posseses.

Lamb, Drummond, and Kemba hopefully will begin a new chapter of Huskies in the NBA as guys like Rip and Ray begin to age.

Emeka never developed a consistent mid-range jumper -- that would have been key for him. I thought he'd be a 15-10 guy in the NBA at least, with the potential to be a 20-10 guy if he stretched his range out to 18 feet, but he never really progressed past a lunchpail 10-10 guy. Early in his career he tried to bulk up with tons of extra muscle and then got hurt - in hindsight, he might have been better served staying the same weight and developing more skill. Hopefully he can be a role player on a championship caliber team on the back end of his career.

H

huskymagic

Of course Rudy will be an All -Star most likely multiple times if he keeps playing like he is now. I am confident Rudy will keep proving me right in the future by reaching his full potential and dominating teams like he is capable of. Drummond will join him shortly in the NBA as another UConn star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom