Can NDU get to a BCS Game? | The Boneyard

Can NDU get to a BCS Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to look, but Notre Dame is 7-3 and ranked in both the AP and USA Today Top 25's.

They have BCU and Standford left. Consider BCU a gimme.

If an 8-3 Notre Dame goes to Palo Alto and gets a win, they're 9-3 and most likely in the top 15 in polls.

What's the boards opinion on if that is enough to get NDU in to a BCS bowl. If they did, that frees up the Champs Bowl for a BE team and gives a 6-6 Uconn a better chance of a guaranteed game.

FWIW, I still think we're running the table and messsing up all the bowl projections.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is only guaranteed a BCS birth if they finish top-8 in the BCS poll. And ND has never been selected to a BCS bowl with more than 2 losses. I doubt it happens.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Absolutely no way. They will not get to the Top 12 (as is required) and already have 3 losses. They are not as popular anymore either, which is a factor.

Reaction Score
But it would be fun to see them get smacked by an Alabama or Wisconsin which use to be the norm and show the ND faithful just how less than elite they have become.

Reaction Score
The Irish are not going to a BCS game this year. They're 1-3 against teams with winning records and the BCU game will do nothing for their resume (even a win will hurt them in the computer rankings). Plus the top 11 teams all have 1 loss or less and the Big East representative takes another berth off the table, so there's really no room that's going to open up for them.

Reaction Score
ND only has to make the top 14 to be available for an at large BCS selection. They are sitting at #26 in the BCS standings right now and if they can move up to #20 or #21 after beating BC this weekend they have a very good chance of moving into the top 14 with a win over Stanford. There are going to be a lot of top 20 matchups over the next couple of weeks including championship weekend where teams are going to be knocked down. Just this week you have OK vs Baylor, Texas vs. KState and Michigan vs Nebraska. Ohio St. is also favored over Penn St. Also, even though BCU is not going to do ND any favors with the computers, you have Auburn at #24 playing Samford and USM at #20 playing UAB who are going to take bigger hits in the computer ranks this week.

While I think it's a long shot that ND can go into Stanford and pull out a win, if they pull it off, ND making the BCS is not as far-fetched as people seem to believe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm staying firm on this. I am too lazy to do any of my own research and am relying entirely on the work of others.

So far in five replies, we've gotten responses saying ND has to be in the top 8, the top 12 and the top 14. This board has to do better.

Reaction Score
Top 8 for ND is an automatic qualificaton. The highest ranked team from non-AQ conferences automatically qualifies if they are in the Top 12. The only have to finish in the top 16 if they are higher than the champion from a BCS conference (Big East champ is not going to finish higher than 16). BCS at-large selections can only be made from the top 14 in the BCS standings.

Reaction Score
I'm staying firm on this. I am too lazy to do any of my own research and am relying entirely on the work of others.

So far in five replies, we've gotten responses saying ND has to be in the top 8, the top 12 and the top 14. This board has to do better.
Top 8 is a guaranteed selection, top 12 or 14 (I'm not sure on the #), they are eligible to be selected, but no guarantee.

Reaction Score
If ND is eligible to be selected for a BCS bowl, they will be selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom