Can it happen again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can it happen again

Reaction Score
After reading all these posts I am forced to ask myself- where lies this UNCERTAINTY? With the recruit? school(s)? fans? best pal? And why the hawking back to players who went elsewhere. Believe it or not, there are some players who would not give up an offer from Stanford (and perhaps others) for a spot at Uconn, even if they were guaranteed 4 championships. Have we dislodged our fear of 'ND as the new Uconn', only to replaced them with USC? What if Azzi decides in favor of ND; are they back in place, or a further tightening of .....? In the past (when I first joined) the boneyard, in a more self-confident mood, saw recruits going elsewhere as an affirmation that 'Uconn was not for everyone regardless of their ranking'. No crisis there. But now, in a moment of 'crisis' (shared/made-up by some?) which endlessly imposes a certain introspective mood on the Program every twist and turn (a player not performing as we think she should; a player leaving early; a coaching resigning; a recruit daring not to say yes right away, etc) in nearly autistic fashion is seen as a sign, an echo of the Other(s). Not even TonyC and his regular pleas for calm and perspective, or Carnac's insistence on logic and good language seemed sufficient to hide a narcissistic dead-end. Enough is never enough. To translate it, we have been projecting an image of which we have become victim; an image of ourselves to which we never had control or lost control. We have almost stopped making sense. Should Azzi decided to park herself here for 4-years, it will only buy us time for the next go-around.

Reaction Score
What a player becomes is the system, the program, the Coach. Lot's of great players have gone to other schools and do not reach their potential. They think they will, maybe, then transfer. It is a choice a young person makes with perhaps her family. Right now, Dawn and South Carolina is the growing program, ..... the program which has the mystique of winning the National Championship. SC's Coach is young, youthful, excited, and draws young people to that excitement.

UConn's history, proven record and Coach Geno have that for a little while longer. Look what happened after Pat passed. It is a lot for a young person to think about and to make that choice for UConn. We think it is a wise choice for a top player to join and learn and play and win. But that is not always the reasons why a young talented player joins a team.

What happens, happens. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
The two players, Moore and Stewart, have six NC between them while the other three have only one combined. Maybe Go/huskies hopes Paige will be more like Moore and Stewart and lead UConn to multiple NC. Williams still has a chance and she will be playing with what seems to be NC caliber talent.

Two points. First, despite what is repeatedly written on this board, championships don’t get credited to one player. Second, we can celebrate the greatness of Stewart and Moore without disparaging other great players like Samuelson.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s a thread on the boneyard that’s not already about or eventually turns into Azzi talk. I think we should just sit back and wait for her to announce. For me I think it’s all good competition when the top players choose different programs. While South Carolina is pretty good and will be for a while, it doesn’t scare me to have to play them with so much talent. It just means that victory will be sweeter when we beat you. So if I Azzi chooses SC or Maryland or wherever she chooses I would not be mad about it. However, I certainly hope she does not. Lol

Reaction Score
I just hope Paige is more like Stewart, Moore, and not like Lou, Walker, and Williams.
Only on the Boneyard would members of top 5 teams receive criticism. The players mentioned all played on special teams where exceptional talent offset lack of inside play. Could we have used a more balanced lineup? Maybe but still happy to be able to watch these teams and players.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Two points. First, despite what is repeatedly written on this board, championships don’t get credited to one player. Second, we can celebrate the greatness of Stewart and Moore without disparaging other great players like Samuelson.
This post should have been addressed to Go/huskies, not me. I just tried to explain what he might have meant.

Reaction Score
Go/huskies meant a generational talent which is a misnomer as it seems those players come around on average once every 3-5 years instead of once a generation. Seems like there were more of them in the 2000s, and then I'd say just Stewie in the last decade.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
spoiled. unrealistic, outlook can be adjusted by taking a trip to a third world country or spending time reading another well known school where they are just as nervous about getting players ranked in to 30's and 40's.

Reaction Score
Go/huskies acts like those players were failures. UConn is not going to win every championship. Was it disappointing to get to the Final Four and not win? Yes. The ones most disappointed were the players. They gave it everything they had. How dare they not win the championship. I guess COVID-19 didn't teach some people anything. Also, I can't stand people who act like they could have done better.
I never used the word failure, and I don’t think I could have done better

Reaction Score
What a player becomes is the system, the program, the Coach. Lot's of great players have gone to other schools and do not reach their potential. They think they will, maybe, then transfer. It is a choice a young person makes with perhaps her family. Right now, Dawn and South Carolina is the growing program, ..... the program which has the mystique of winning the National Championship. SC's Coach is young, youthful, excited, and draws young people to that excitement.

UConn's history, proven record and Coach Geno have that for a little while longer. Look what happened after Pat passed. It is a lot for a young person to think about and to make that choice for UConn. We think it is a wise choice for a top player to join and learn and play and win. But that is not always the reasons why a young talented player joins a team.

What happens, happens. It is what it is.
I agree whole heartedly. We [the fans of UCONN WCBB] have been blessed beyond all measures in success of the program: 11 Championships, 100 game winning streaks, multiple multiple year All-Americans, and since 1995, rarely falling out of the TOP Five in the rankings. Much is expected from each young woman that has the courage and self-confidence to accept the challenge of joining the UCONN Family of WCBB, and nearly all of them put in the hard work everyday.

Positive support and encouragement is what is needed in this stressful and uncertain environment for our young athletes. Finishing off the year in a ZOOM classroom, as I was teaching Dual Credit Chemistry & Physics with high school Juniors and Seniors, would not have gone as well if I hadn't built good relationships with my students before the 3/12/2020 shift to on-line classroom. Pray that our five are able to be on campus to work together (social distancing as required) either in a Summer Session (first session cancelled as I am told) or an early period to resuming in-person classes at UCONN this Fall Semester.

GOOD NEWS (at least for me...): I just got out of a ZOOM Meeting with my Coordinating (calculus-based) Physics Professor from Indiana University-Bloomington, and IU-Bloomington is opening earlier than usual with a plan to shift to on-line classes after Thanksgiving to include Fall Finals. They also plan on starting the first eights week of Spring Semester on-line before returning in March for in-person classes. Again, positive relationships are build in-person, and my classes (college level in the high school environment) do not change students at the semester break. The GOOD NEWS for fellow Boneyarders is that Basketball should start on time, as Hoops Hysteria in Indiana appears to be a go at Indiana University (reading between the lines from my meeting, as IU is only strong in Soccer, Basketball, Swimming, Softball, Track, and Baseball) and Purdue University (per Mitch Daniels).

Reaction Score
I just hope Paige is more like Stewart, Moore, and not like Lou, Walker, and Williams.
Go/Huskies, I am not sure a lot of people ever had a problem with Lou, Was she Diana, no. Was she Stewie, no. She was Katie Lou, a great shooter, a good re bounder and passer, and, from all comments from past players a wonderful team mate. If there is a coach who would not want Katie Lou I seriously doubt they will be in coaching long.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What problem do you have with Lou?
Nevermind, you are entitled to your opinion but just know that Lou was Lou and I appreciate everything she did for her 4 years at UConn.
I just want to be clear about my reply to Go/huskies. I was expressing my thoughts about Looooouuu and in no way was I trying to slight Megan and/or Christyn. It's just that Katie Lou is my favorite Huskie because she liked Larry Bird and did her best to be like him, IMO.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that UConn fans wait and wait for the number one player in the country to sign only to lose her to a team closer to home Ola Haley Jones in Stamford. What is the probability of missing out on miss Fudd. Getting nervous watching South Carolina stack up.
Basketball is way more entertaining when all the good players don't end up on the same team.

Reaction Score
Basketball is way more entertaining when all the good players don't end up on the same team.
I agree with you one hundred per cent CTBallfan. What I have a problem with is the people (and I am not in any way including you) who think that Geno has won so often because he gets the "cream of the crop". Does he get some of the top players? Of course. Uconn is a powerhouse in women's basketball. But so is Maryland, Stanford, Oregon, Louisville and other colleges who also get large groups of five star players. What it comes down to is the coaching. And it is no coincidence that many of these coaches, along with some who have won championships, have sought Geno out for advice. Perhaps it's not that all the good players end up on the same team. It's that the same coach is on the same team.

Reaction Score
Not all #1s are equal. Losing Boston has/will hurt a lot more than (if) we lose Azzi. This team needs toughness, size, and physical presence much more than a good PG. This team is loaded at the guard position.

Reaction Score
Not all #1s are equal. Losing Boston has/will hurt a lot more than (if) we lose Azzi. This team needs toughness, size, and physical presence much more than a good PG. This team is loaded at the guard position.

I couldn't disagree more. This is a pinnacle of disagreement.

Reaction Score
Did you not thoroughly enjoy 2012-2016, or were you mad because many of the games, even against top 10 teams, looked like a pro team beating up on a high school team? I thought the Stewie years were pretty entertaining, and I wouldn't mind one last run like that before Geno rides off into the sunset.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely, unequivocally right! I am in total agreement with you! BUT...........don't tell that to their fans! WE want it all, WHEN WE want it! :rolleyes: :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is it possible that UConn fans wait and wait for the number one player in the country to sign only to lose her to a team closer to home Ola Haley Jones in Stamford. What is the probability of missing out on miss Fudd. Getting nervous watching South Carolina stack up.
It's not only possible, it WILL happen....probably happen a few times. Has already happened a few times.

Will it happen with Fudd?? Who knows. I like our chances, but you never know for sure.

Relax, UCONN isn't going to get every #1 recruit. They get quite a bit more than their fair share. Just be happy about that.

Reaction Score
Did you not thoroughly enjoy 2012-2016, or were you mad because many of the games, even against top 10 teams, looked like a pro team beating up on a high school team? I thought the Stewie years were pretty entertaining, and I wouldn't mind one last run like that before Geno rides off into the sunset.
I love big margins of victory, and no losses.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think that if we won every game by a final score of 88-0 and then won 86-2 the next day there would be a thread asking "What's happened to our defense?"
OR......... they wpould ask Geno "What are you going to do about that (2 points)"? :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom