Can I get an assist? | The Boneyard

Can I get an assist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago somebody started a thread that discussed the lack of assists in UTenn's offense. I don't remember what the teams specific APG was at the time but I do remember UConn was ranked first in that category and UTenn was quite a bit behind. Maybe as low as the mid 30's.
After last night's pounding by Stanford UTenn will fall even farther down in the assist rankings. They went into the game ranked 64th and will probably be around 75th after the next ranking.

Are they a team of ball hogs, gunners or do they just play a half court offense that just doesn't move the ball?

Reaction Score
They definitely have a bunch of players who like to shoot first rather than pass the ball.
Do they have guards who distribute the ball?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Are they a team of ball hogs, gunners or do they just play a half court offense that just doesn't move the ball?

They just don't have good passers on the team that put the ball in the hands of the shooters in good position to take an open shot. Only Massengale seems to have that ability.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
This isn't something new to UTenn. I just looked at the APG ranking for the last 3 years. It's pretty dismal. Last year 83rd, the year before 24th and three years ago 111th.

That looks to me like a coaching problem to me. Maybe what they need as much as a point guard is a good back court coach.

Reaction Score
For assists, you need to take the ratio of assists:field goals. Taking the absolute number will usually put the high-scoring teams on top even if they have many unassisted FG's.

By that measure, I'm sure Tennessee does not look good - but UConn might not be #1.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This isn't something new to UTenn. I just looked at the APG ranking for the last 3 years. It's pretty dismal. Last year 83rd, the year before 24th and three years ago 111th.

That looks to me like a coaching problem to me. Maybe what they need as much as a point guard is a good back court coach.
You are right about a coaching problem, but more about recruiting than actual coaching. They have never looked at that skill in a recruit like Geno does. He wants everyone on the team to be able to make smart passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom