Can Foley reverse the damage done? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Foley reverse the damage done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will never understand his demotion. And it was 100% a demotion. Just a fantastic coach who deserved better. I am thankful he didn't walk away after that slap in the face.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Possibly the reason FHC lost the motivation factor right away, and the reason the team can play better now.
The old & gray cloud has been lifted, lets play ball!

Reaction Score
Anyone who watched the O line has to see it wasn't just scheme. We are lacking talent here. The hope is that Coach Foley, unlike GDL, identifies the talent issue, and caters the blocking to help out. And I would open up the competition at all 5 spots.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Unless someone on this board has experience coaching college OL there is no way to judge the talent level we have on the OL.

Most have no idea the situation our OL was put in with GDL.

There will be improvement as the year goes on. How much remains to be seen. But, IMHO, it will be noticeable before too long.

Reaction Score
Unless someone on this board has experience coaching college OL there is no way to judge the talent level we have on the OL.

There will be improvement as the year goes on. How much remains to be seen. But, IMHO, it will be noticeable before too long.

It will be noticeable as soon as Friend gets down in a stance.

Reaction Score

How do you judge talent?

We all know GDL changed the scheme to something we all (except Spackler) hated.

I judge talent by watching the players on the field. I don't look at stats, I watch the players.

C

Chief00

I agree our OL lacks strength and talent. I do think Foley can coach Big Uglies, especially in run game. Kids and parents like him too unlike GDL.

Reaction Score
Point of reference perhaps; Calhoun went 9-19 in 1987. We will need patience.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
But Foley didn't leave did he? That should tell you something too.

Look, the change has been made. You don't go backward, you go forward. Foley very well will be put back with the OL - we'll find out later today......BUT.

These players don't need friends in coach's now, and zone blocking, is the kind of blocking that was used at Cincinatti by our sitting offensive coordinator, and I've seen a offense that can do things, as long as get ready......everybody executes. This system is better for us moving forward, than what Edsall installed. That's my opinion, and it's up for debate.

I also think that changing your entire installs for the offensive and for that matter defensive playbooks at this point in the season, after 2 years, is dumber than retaining Pasqualoni and Deleone would have been. Unless you are willing to scrap the entire season, which according to Manuel's press statement, was the complete opposite purpose - this change was done to salvage - THIS season.

They need a coaching staff that's going to install a disciplined approach to football, and do it in way that the players can embrace and have fun with. There is nothing fun about George Deleone. He's an embarrassment to everyone with a UCONN diploma.

1 - I don't know what makes you think I want changes in entire installs of the offensive and defensive playbooks but I absolutely do not want that nor do I foresee it happening. The blocking schemes will be simplified but beyond that there should not be much changed. It would be impossible to implement a whole new scheme at this point and any attempt would leave the line appearing even more inept than what we've seen. Foley can coach (regardless of what the anonymous may claim) and he is willing to teach (which in itself makes him a damned sight better than the man who as coaching the offensive line).

2 - Foley was not a friend to any of the players he coached. He was loved because he was able to teach them how to be better football players, primarily because he was willing to actually teach them.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if this is a claim that Kevin friend returning will make Foley appear better than he really is.

Yes, adding a senior who has been a multiple season starter obviously will help but look at Kevin Friend when he was coached by Foley and compare that to his play when he was being coached by GDL. You should also add to the equation that offensive linemen normally improve substantially when they gain experience. Kevin was a far batter lineman as an underclassman than what we,ve seen since GDL took over (injury aside).

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if this is a claim that Kevin friend returning will make Foley appear better than he really is.

Yes, adding a senior who has been a multiple season starter obviously will help but look at Kevin Friend when he was coached by Foley and compare that to his play when he was being coached by GDL. You should also add to the equation that offensive linemen normally improve substantially when they gain experience. Kevin was a far batter lineman as an underclassman than what we,ve seen since GDL took over (injury aside).

Don't read that much into it - my comment was a response to SportArts's comment: "There will be improvement as the year goes on. How much remains to be seen. But, IMHO, it will be noticeable before too long.".

They missed Friend the first 4 games...

Reaction Score

I'm guessing that medic is saying you'll get a good idea about what kinds of things Foley might change up with the OL, by observing the stance that Kevin Friend gets into at the line of scrimmage. Same would go for Bennett on the other side. If that is what he meant, I agree. One of things INMNSHO, (do I have to keep using that acronym, pneumonic, whater the hell it is - or can we just assume that opinion is never humble?)......

anyway - one of the biggest difficulties I think that Deleone created was with the stances and splits at the line, that he demanded the linemen be in.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Spackler, with complete candor I can tell you that I've never viewed your opinions as being humble. Many times I've viewed them as over the top and often I've found them humorous but humble was never a consideration.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Question: Can Foley reverse the damage done?

Answer: Yes.

Boom!!! Here come the Huskies, baby!!!!

Reaction Score
Traditionally, the best college football teams have a handful of key plays that they keep running until the other team proves they can stop them. In my opinion, the offensive line schemes/responsibilities will be simplified and the results will be better. The only question is how much better?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be cool if Foley busted into the room and said we are going back to what made the UConn line successful in the past? ;)
koolaid.jpg

Reaction Score
Traditionally, the best college football teams have a handful of key plays that they keep running until the other team proves they can stop them. In my opinion, the offensive line schemes/responsibilities will be simplified and the results will be better. The only question is how much better?

You just described our old running game. I got a feeling the old might be the new. ;)

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the fullback on the field more which should help our run game. Another thing, I was dreading going to the South Florida game but today has completely changed that. It's opening day again for UConn football!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'd like to see the fullback on the field more which should help our run game. Another thing, I was dreading going to the South Florida game but today has completely changed that. It's opening day again for UConn football!

It somehow feels like a new season, doesn't it? What a nice shot in the arm...

Reaction Score
Back to assignment blocking, and basic offense execution. Foley can do it if the offense simplifies. Step one is cut the play book by 80% and go back to basic frameworks and build. We won't be deceptive and it will require each player to execute and win the battle on every play.

Reaction Score
I agree our OL lacks strength and talent. I do think Foley can coach Big Uglies, especially in run game. Kids and parents like him too unlike GDL.
Another dumb O line comment. Do you even know what you're looking at?

Reaction Score
How do you judge talent?

We all know GDL changed the scheme to something we all (except Spackler) hated.

I judge talent by watching the players on the field. I don't look at stats, I watch the players.

Unless you know what play is called, what adjustments are made, and what blocking schemes are called ... It is very difficult to judge the o-line ... Even if you know what to look for.

Reaction Score
Since GDL was the preacher of the zone blocking, I read up on it. No wonder the O line was terrible. It's a complex scheme.

I believe Edsel had a more traditional blocking. Straight ahead - the old smash mouth blocking. That should be able to be re-installed in time for USF.

I would rather see 6 to 12 running plays that are executed well than the GDL wallpaper mess. It can be done.
I thought we only had Lyle off left tackle, Lyle off right tackle, and Foxx flanker sweeps. What were the other 6-8 plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom