Can everyone calm down? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can everyone calm down?

Reaction Score
My problem is they continue to have such bad stretches. If they want to compete in the Big East tourney and NCAA tourney they have to play complete games.
That’s what the Hurley apologists don’t seem to grasp. Of course players are going to miss shots and turn the bell over. But they should at least be running some semblance of an offense and playing with some level of discipline. THAT much the coach can absolutely control. That 15 minute stretch in the first half was just horrificly disorganized basketball and he didn’t do a thing to stop it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
you don't think that the cole pick-and-rolls were part of the plan on offense? that seemed to work pretty well.
People love to pretend to know what offensive plans look like when they have no idea what offensive plans look like. It’s a basketball past time.

Reaction Score
The game plan didn’t change in the second half. The ball just went in the hoop
Hurley should have reminded the team in the 1st half that when they shoot the ball it's supposed to go in instead of waiting for the 2nd half to do that
That’s just asinine. But not surprising coming from you.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The issues were the first half. What percent did we shoot then? What was the score then. The win shouldn’t mask everything, issues need to be fixed so the lulls don’t last 15 mins and certainly don’t happen against much better teams than GTown.
So the issues that were there and then weren’t there need to be fixed. Define fixed because it sure sounds like they were fixed

Reaction Score
Execution. I’m not talking about missing good shots or playing well but things aren’t falling, my frustration stems from playing down to the opposition. For about a 3 minute stretch in the first half I was watching a game that would’ve been more at home in my local YMCA. And no timeout was called to figure things out.
People like him don’t understand what coaching is so don’t try and explain. Execution is about running plays the way you’re supposed to. We all know it’s the player that either makes or misses the shot. Anyone who watched that first half and thought we were a well coached team just has their head up their ass.

Reaction Score
People love to pretend to know what offensive plans look like when they have no idea what offensive plans look like. It’s a basketball past time.
What does that even mean?? You think coaches just roll the ball out there and say “go do it boys”??

Reaction Score
People like him don’t understand what coaching is so don’t try and explain. Execution is about running plays the way you’re supposed to. We all know it’s the player that either makes or misses the shot. Anyone who watched that first half and thought we were a well coached team just has their head up their ass.
And anyone who comes away from this game crying about Hurley has an agenda and zero clue about the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
I've gotten on Hurley all season for his terrible timeout usage so you're way off base here, the first half was another example of this

Reaction Score
That’s what the Hurley apologists don’t seem to grasp. Of course players are going to miss shots and turn the bell over. But they should at least be running some semblance of an offense and playing with some level of discipline. THAT much the coach can absolutely control. That 15 minute stretch in the first half was just horrificly disorganized basketball and he didn’t do a thing to stop it.
I think we had bad stretches under Jim Calhoun as well...

Reaction Score
And anyone who comes away from this game crying about Hurley has an agenda and zero clue about the game of basketball.
Sure buddy. I guarantee I’ve played and watched more basketball than you. But you go on thinking what you saw tonight was a clinic.

Reaction Score
So the issues that were there and then weren’t there need to be fixed. Define fixed because it sure sounds like they were fixed
Fixed isn’t improving in the second half. That’s a band aid, an adjustment. Fixed is not letting prolonged stretches like these become habitual, which that inarguably have been. Issues that have plagued us all season continue to reappear almost every game. It’s not rocket science. I’ll be the first to eat crow if we come out next game and show signs of fixing. That would be limiting our lulls in play, with timeouts, adjustments and offensive sets, etc.

Reaction Score
I think we had bad stretches under Jim Calhoun as well...
Absolutely we did. And he did everything in his power to do something about it. That’s all I’m suggesting. Hurley keeps allowing the same things to happen without adjustment. It’s maddening. JC didn’t always get it right. But he wasn’t gonna sit there and accept it when it wasn’t.

Reaction Score
Sure buddy. I guarantee I’ve played and watched more basketball than you. But you go on thinking what you saw tonight was a clinic.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Fixed isn’t improving in the second half. That’s a band aid, an adjustment. Fixed is not letting prolonged stretches like these become habitual, which that inarguably have been. Issues that have plagued us all season continue to reappear almost every game. It’s not rocket science. I’ll be the first to eat crow if we come out next game and show signs of fixing. That would be limiting our lulls in play, with timeouts, adjustments and offensive sets, etc.
And I’ll be right there with you. People think this means we hate the coach or want him fired. Not true at all. Just change it up a bit when it’s clearly not working. Make adjustments.

Reaction Score
You can't consistently have long stretches where you don't score. It's not like it's happening once in awhile, it happens a lot.

Just look at their big win vs. USC. They couldn't/didn't score down the stretch. Luckily they made it out with a win but it's not going to happen in the tourney.

Reaction Score
As one of the people freaking out, very happy about the win great second half, but...

They went 7 minutes with no field goals in the first half!!! Hurley did not call a timeout until the end of those 7 minutes at the half for the Bouk alley oop (hey timeouts work!). That cannot happen. Against a mediocre Gtown team with nothing to play for they can get away with it, it ain't gonna work against a half decent opponent as we have seen multiple times already this season. UConn finished the game with two unused timeouts. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As one of the people freaking out, very happy about the win great second half, but...

They went 7 minutes with no field goals in the first half!!! Hurley did not call a timeout until the end of those 7 minutes at the half for the Bouk alley oop (hey timeouts work!). That cannot happen. Against a mediocre Gtown team with nothing to play for they can get away with it, it ain't gonna work against a half decent opponent as we have seen multiple times already this season. UConn finished the game with two unused timeouts. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Maybe he realized it was a mediocre team and the experience would come in handy against a decent team?

Multiple people "freaking out" should be the larger concern here.

Reaction Score

They went 7 minutes with no field goals in the first half!!! Hurley did not call a timeout until the end of those 7 minutes at the half for the Bouk alley oop (hey timeouts work!). That cannot happen. Against a mediocre Gtown team with nothing to play for they can get away with it, it ain't gonna work against a half decent opponent as we have seen multiple times already this season.
There were 2 media timeouts during that stretch. The stretch essentially started directly after a timeout.

Gaff was in for much of it. It's becoming a problem. He only played 3 minutes in the 2nd half for a reason. It was Cole-Gaffney-Bouk-Sanogo-Whaley for a majority of the time. 2 bigs and Gaffney just clogged everything up and slowed everything down. It was Cole-Adams-Bouk-Polley-Whaley/Carlton for 2 minutes also, which seemed like a desperation lineup from Hurley.

But a lot of it was shotmaking and unforced errors. Here's the rundown of that stretch:
Martin turnover (I think he lost it out of bounds?)
TV timeout.
Polley threw a lazy pass initiating the offense.
Sanogo missed 2 floaters in the lane on one possession.
Cole missed a mid-range shot (he made all of these same shots in the 2nd half).
Bouk missed a contested layup that I think he was fouled on and Whaley had his putback blocked (but they were both shots at the rim) and then Sanogo more or less handed it to a guy.
Gaff bad pass.
Bouk had his pocket picked reminiscent of last game.
Cole missed a 3. Whaley faded away on the putback for some reason.
TV timeout.
Bouk pulled up on a curl and expected contact and then missed the jumper when there wasn't any.
Bouk traveled under very little pressure.
Cole airballed an open 3.
Bouk missed a runner in the paint.
Cole drew a foul in transition.

Not a ton of bad shots. A lot of throwing the ball away and missed shots in the paint and open 3's. Hurley certainly could have called another timeout inbetween the two to set something up, but we weren't getting 30 second violations or getting pressed to death or something. The last 9 of the last 10 plays were our 2 best players not getting it done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The timeout thing is infuriating, he still never seems to know when to call them and never uses all of them.

Reaction Score
There were 2 media timeouts during that stretch. The stretch essentially started directly after a timeout.

Gaff was in for much of it. It's becoming a problem. He only played 3 minutes in the 2nd half for a reason. It was Cole-Gaffney-Bouk-Sanogo-Whaley for a majority of the time. 2 bigs and Gaffney just clogged everything up and slowed everything down. It was Cole-Adams-Bouk-Polley-Whaley/Carlton for 2 minutes also, which seemed like a desperation lineup from Hurley.

But a lot of it was shotmaking and unforced errors. Here's the rundown of that stretch:
Martin turnover (I think he lost it out of bounds?)
TV timeout.
Polley threw a lazy pass initiating the offense.
Sanogo missed 2 floaters in the lane on one possession.
Cole missed a mid-range shot (he made all of these same shots in the 2nd half).
Bouk missed a contested layup that I think he was fouled on and Whaley had his putback blocked (but they were both shots at the rim) and then Sanogo more or less handed it to a guy.
Gaff bad pass.
Bouk had his pocket picked reminiscent of last game.
Cole missed a 3. Whaley faded away on the putback for some reason.
TV timeout.
Bouk pulled up on a curl and expected contact and then missed the jumper when there wasn't any.
Bouk traveled under very little pressure.
Cole airballed an open 3.
Bouk missed a runner in the paint.
Cole drew a foul in transition.

Not a ton of bad shots. A lot of throwing the ball away and missed shots in the paint and open 3's. Hurley certainly could have called another timeout inbetween the two to set something up, but we weren't getting 30 second violations or getting pressed to death or something. The last 9 of the last 10 plays were our 2 best players not getting it done.

That's fair about the TV timeouts, but there was a stretch of a minute or two where it was getting really out of control and Georgetown was cutting the lead that he could have really injected himself into the game and called a TO to calm things down.

UConn went on I think a 6-0 run in the second half, Ewing immediately called a timeout. Every other coach in college basketball does it and it is very effective and it is simple. Then again even the best of coaches across sports can suffer poor timeout management (Andy Reid).

Hurley was perfect on managing Bouk's minutes, the out of bounds plays and out of timeout stuff was crisp, but 7 minutes of no baskets is brutal and continues a pattern of long stretches throughout games where the team looks lost.

Reaction Score
That's fair about the TV timeouts, but there was a stretch of a minute or two where it was getting really out of control and Georgetown was cutting the lead that he could have really injected himself into the game and called a TO to calm things down.

UConn went on I think a 6-0 run in the second half, Ewing immediately called a timeout. Every other coach in college basketball does it and it is very effective and it is simple. Then again even the best of coaches across sports can suffer poor timeout management (Andy Reid).

Hurley was perfect on managing Bouk's minutes, the out of bounds plays and out of timeout stuff was crisp, but 7 minutes of no baskets is brutal and continues a pattern of long stretches throughout games where the team looks lost.
The Gaff turnover is when I would've thought about it, but at that point it was 4:05 when we got the ball back and the media timeout was coming at next whistle. We were still up 3, Gtown had only made 1 shot in the 3+ minutes during the stretch, so it wasn't like we had given up 3 quick buckets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom