Can Dan Hurley attract potential pros to the Huskies? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Dan Hurley attract potential pros to the Huskies?

Reaction Score
This is not going to be easy and one of the mysteries that still bothers me is how after the 2014 championship there wasn't a line of blue chippers outside KO's door for 2015. Our performance should have supercharged recruiting. Now Hurley has to get some results first to make that happen.
It's been said a million times, our coach thought the same way you did and didn't put in the time. No matter how good we are we're always going to have to put in the effort.

Reaction Score
And the stupid “location” comment just never stops. Location? 2+ hours to NYC, 1.25 hours to Boston and right in the heart of the best prep school league in the country. Wtf? That narrative is so ridiculous and irresponsible.
You would think none of these people have ever left the northeast. A lot of the country you have to drive like 5 hours to get to the nearest cr@ppy city.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It's been said a million times, our coach thought the same way you did and didn't put in the time. No matter how good we are we're always going to have to put in the effort.
He was also going through a lot of stuff off the court in his personal life that I am convinced affected his recruiting and performance for the last few years.

Reaction Score
Sure he can. Now if you ask can he get 5 star lottery pick type guys, not so sure. Recent Virginia and Villanova and not so recent Butler and UConn teams have won it or got to final game with few/none of these type players.
247 has 27 guys as 5 star and 103 guys as 4 star. Per 247 Providence has class with 4 star guys ranked 44 and 46. Mostly all players about that rank are P5 or Villanova.
Not sure all 130 4 star and above are potential NBA players, expect that lot of them are and all think they are.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And the stupid “location” comment just never stops. Location? 2+ hours to NYC, 1.25 hours to Boston and right in the heart of the best prep school league in the country. Wtf? That narrative is so ridiculous and irresponsible.
Whenever anyone brings up location as a UConn issue, I ask them where the hell Lawrence Kansas is.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Whenever anyone brings up location as a UConn issue, I ask them where the hell Lawrence Kansas is.

Lawrence is a small city of 90,000+. It's also about 40 miles from Kansas City. Storrs is closer to Hartford than Lawrence is to KC. There's plenty to do in a city of 90,000, so it shouldn't be necessary to drive from Lawrence to KC for something to do.

Storrs offers little in after hours things to do. If you grew up in a metropolitan area, Storrs is a boring place to spend four years if you have to live there 24/7 every week of the school year, and you have no wheels. I had a car on campus and could go anywhere anytime I wanted to. Without that, I would have gone crazy being there all the time.

I'm pretty sure Kingston, RI is the smallest town in the country with a flagship state university. Hurley got some
pretty fair recruits to spend four years in Kingston, so he's got far more to sell now, despite the relative lack of local, typically urban night life that recruits can experience in most other college towns and cities. To me, if our prospective recruits are more concerned about the local nightlife than their playing careers, do we really want those kind of players? We should do fine on the recruiting trail with Hurley and our staff.

Reaction Score
If Storrs were in most other states it would be part of a city of 90000 too. It would be a neighborhood of Manchester or even East Hartford maybe. And The retail in Buckland is about 20 minutes from Storrs. Honestly. And now there is even FastTrack from Storrs to Hartford starting soon if it doesn’t already exist. Plus there is this new thing coming called the inter web or something. They say you will be able to post on message boards electronically whatever that means!!!

Reaction Score
Lawrence is a small city of 90,000+. It's also about 40 miles from Kansas City. Storrs is closer to Hartford than Lawrence is to KC. There's plenty to do in a city of 90,000, so it shouldn't be necessary to drive from Lawrence to KC for something to do.

Storrs offers little in after hours things to do. If you grew up in a metropolitan area, Storrs is a boring place to spend four years if you have to live there 24/7 every week of the school year, and you have no wheels. I had a car on campus and could go anywhere anytime I wanted to. Without that, I would have gone crazy being there all the time.

I'm pretty sure Kingston, RI is the smallest town in the country with a flagship state university. Hurley got some
pretty fair recruits to spend four years in Kingston, so he's got far more to sell now, despite the relative lack of local, typically urban night life that recruits can experience in most other college towns and cities. To me, if our prospective recruits are more concerned about the local nightlife than their playing careers, do we really want those kind of players? We should do fine on the recruiting trail with Hurley and our staff.
Most schools don't have much in the way of urban nightlife. Most schools aren't in cities.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Yup, hs hoops players can’t wwit to hit downtown Lawrence. Beyond that, they should be in study hall:cool:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Most schools don't have much in the way of urban nightlife. Most schools aren't in cities.

Not true at all. Many flagship state U's are in major metropolitan cities or areas. Rutgers is in the NYC metro area, Ohio State in Columbus, Minnesota in Minneapolis, UT in Austin, USCe in Columbia, LSU in Baton Rouge, Cal-Berkeley in metro Bay Area, UT in Knoxville, OU in the OKC metro area, UNM in Albuquerque, UA in Tucson, ASU in the Phoenix metro area, UCLA, UW in Seattle, the list is very long. The ones that aren't are in small to mid size cities such as Illinois in Champaign-Urbana and Michigan in Ann Arbor. Even WVU is in a town of 30,000, which is twice the size of Storrs. The only flagship state U's in small, Podunk little towns are concentrated in New England. I'll also give you the U of SD, located in Vermilion, which is about the same size as Storrs. Otherwise, the vast majority of these schools are in towns and cities with 50,000 pop. or more. These are places where there are things to do locally.

I was only referring to flagship state U's, so we're comparing apples with apples, and the type of schools we are up against in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is in suburbia about an hour from New York. Jeez. I’m not sure you’ve ever been to any of these places. Minnesota is in Minneapolis. That must be why they have such great basketball teams. Same with LSU.

Reaction Score
Same can be said about Lexington. I mean, come on! its Kentucky! wtf is there in Kentucky besides hillbillies, Fort Knox and a creation museum for morons? lol

pj

Reaction Score
Same can be said about Lexington. I mean, come on! its Kentucky! wtf is there in Kentucky besides hillbillies, Fort Knox and a creation museum for morons? lol

What is there in Connecticut besides Princeton University, Grant's tomb, and the Bunker Hill monument?

Reaction Score
What is there in Connecticut besides Princeton University, Grant's tomb, and the Bunker Hill monument?
Wow, you must be from Kentucky. Princeton is in New Jersey, Grant's Tomb is in New York, and Bunker Hill is in Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
Not sure if youre jk or seriously missed the point. You also might want to do a little research on where those three things are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Storrs offers little in after hours things to do. If you grew up in a metropolitan area, Storrs is a boring place to spend four years if you have to live there 24/7 every week of the school year, and you have no wheels.
I had a car on campus my upper classman years but rarely used it (packy run now and again, mostly) and somehow I managed not to die of boredom. There were always a lot of things to do and plenty of parties to go to. The fact that Storrs doesn't have a big urban influence is a strength not a weakness. IMHO.

(Rutgers is in the "New Brunswick metro area", not NYC and believe me that's nothing to brag about.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom