Can Blidi Obtain A Med. Rs? | The Boneyard

Can Blidi Obtain A Med. Rs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
This thought just happened to cross my mind, but I was wondering, if Blidi doesn't play in any more games this season, is there a shot he can obtain a medical redshirt?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
No. There is no cutoff. He played; therefore no RS. He already redshirted I believe. If you've had multiple injuries that cost you multiple seasons, you van apply for a 6th year, but it is not guaranteed.

Reaction Score
For a student-athlete to receive a Medical Hardship Waiver per Bylaw 14.2.4, the following four conditions must be met:
  • The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 (I have also seen 30% written, not sure which is true) percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.
  • The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.
  • The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating.
  • Appropriate medical documentation must exist and be provided.
All percentages are calculated according to contests or dates of competition, depending on how your sport's competitive opportunities are counted. Only contests or dates of competition occurring during the championship (traditional) season are included in the calculations. Conference championships/tournaments are counted as one contest or date of competition, regardless of the actual contest/dates used. If the percentage calculation for the 20-percent rule results in a decimal -- any decimal -- the whole number preceding it is always rounded up. For example, if the softball team competes in 56 games, 20 percent of 56 is 11.2. Due to the "rounding-up," a softball team member who competed in 12 games does qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

Reaction Score
if it's 30% he could redshirt because of the round up rule

which it appears to be from this link, http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illini-sports/mens-basketball/2007-06-03/ncaa-quietly-updates-criteria-receiving-medical-reds

which says it was passed in 2007.

"At the end of the day, it was a value judgment that 30 percent of the season better represented a good opportunity to have meaningful participation in that season," said Chad Hawley, the Big Ten's assistant commissioner for compliance. "If the idea is for student-athletes to have four full seasons of competition while they're in college, the thought was that 30 (percent) gets a student-athlete closer to fulfilling the idea of full participation."

Use google next time!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
No. There is no cutoff. He played; therefore no RS. He already redshirted I believe. If you've had multiple injuries that cost you multiple seasons, you van apply for a 6th year, but it is not guaranteed.

Case Keenum only lost one year due to injuries and was granted a 6th year.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Case Keenum only lost one year due to injuries and was granted a 6th year.

Just read through his career and am really surprised he was granted a 6th yr. You are supposed to have had injuries that cost you time in 2 separate seasons. Hmmm...all this said, I would love for Blidi to get another year.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Just read through his career and am really surprised he was granted a 6th yr. You are supposed to have had injuries that cost you time in 2 separate seasons. Hmmm...all this said, I would love for Blidi to get another year.
I think you are much more likely to get a 6th year if injuries take away 2 seasons but the NCAA can basically do whatever the hell they want I think.

Reaction Score

Apparently they had a bunch of documentation that he had missed practice time due to a shoulder injury suffered in high school. Seems fishy. In any event, the NCAA isn't going to do us any favors. I'd say the chances of Blidi getting a 6th year if he misses the season are somewhere between zero and five percent.

Reaction Score
The point is probably moot. Blidi is a next level prospect and would be unlikely to stay a sixth year anyway. Hopefully Blidi is back on the field soon.

Reaction Score
yeah, but if he spends most of his 5th year on the bench that isn't something the NFL scouts are going to like....he most likely will want to come back next year and show them that he is in fact healthy and fully recovered

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
There is a cutoff. But a normal redshirt is different than a medical redshirt. But like some other people posted it is the 4th game, and that we will not find out (if applied for) whether he obtained a med RS until the end of his senior year.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
yeah, but if he spends most of his 5th year on the bench that isn't something the NFL scouts are going to like....he most likely will want to come back next year and show them that he is in fact healthy and fully recovered

BWW is a 4th year Junior right now, and not a 5th year Senior!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom