Can’t Sleep on Butler | The Boneyard

Can’t Sleep on Butler

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that this will be another venue that Geno hasn't played, Hinkle Fieldhouse, formally know as Butler Fieldhouse (1928 to 1966), AKA Indiana's Basketball Cathedral. Hinkle Fieldhouse, is also know for the upset of the Century in Hoosier High School Championships. In 1954 the small hick town school of Milan upset the large city high school Muncie Central for the State championship. The 1986 film Hoosiers was inspired from the Milan upset and the Championship game was filmed in Hinkle Fieldhouse. I have watched many high school basketball games there including my future high school win the State Championship in 64. It is has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 83 and declared a National Historic Landmark in 87.

Reaction Score
I believe that this will be another venue that Geno hasn't played, Hinkle Fieldhouse, formally know as Butler Fieldhouse (1928 to 1966), AKA Indiana's Basketball Cathedral. Hinkle Fieldhouse, is also know for the upset of the Century in Hoosier High School Championships. In 1954 the small hick town school of Milan upset the large city high school Muncie Central for the State championship. The 1986 film Hoosiers was inspired from the Milan upset and the Championship game was filmed in Hinkle Fieldhouse. I have watched many high school basketball games there including my future high school win the State Championship in 64. It is has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 83 and declared a National Historic Landmark in 87.
And we know the rims are 10 feet off the ground just like they are in Hickory. (Hope they use Nike balls)

Reaction Score
The Milan story is actually a very interesting one and sort of belies the legend; while they were a very legitimate small, rural school, the real surprise was the year before (1952-1953) when they made the Indiana Final Four, losing in the semi-finals. They returned 4 starters from that team for the 53-54 season. In what would now be called the Sweet 16, they played a school even smaller than they were by about half. In the Elite Eight round they beat Crispus Attucks HS of Indianapolis, whose star was The Big O, Oscar Robertson. And they really did score on a jumper at the buzzer to break a tie in the finals to win it all.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The Milan story is actually a very interesting one and sort of belies the legend; while they were a very legitimate small, rural school, the real surprise was the year before (1952-1953) when they made the Indiana Final Four, losing in the semi-finals. They returned 4 starters from that team for the 53-54 season. In what would now be called the Sweet 16, they played a school even smaller than they were by about half. In the Elite Eight round they beat Crispus Attucks HS of Indianapolis, whose star was The Big O, Oscar Robertson. And they really did score on a jumper at the buzzer to break a tie in the finals to win it all.
Very good book about it. The Greatest Basketball Story Ever Told

Reaction Score
A thread about nothing makes me tired. I'll know not to take the troll bait next time.
Thanks @MSGRET for supplying something of substance. :D
Come on. We need some sleep.
Not one to disagree with you often @eebmg. But what we and the team needs is competitive games. ;)

Reaction Score
...and just a mention of “class basketball” still pisses off the old time Hoosiers.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Quick story. A few of us from the BY went to the UConn- ND game back in 2016.

I was introduced to Neil (the guy who basically schedules UConn’s opponents).

As we were shaking hands, he was informed that I lived in South Bend. His grip got bit tighter. lol

Reaction Score
UConn is the one top rated team that has no one in their conference that is capable of beating them barring a total collapse and the other team having the games of their lives. The only other team almost like that is Baylor. Their remaining competition is also very weak. UConn is virtually assured to a number one seed.

Reaction Score
They’re just sitting back waiting for UCONN to show up. It’ll be a nail biter.
We are not playing the mens team, you know. It will only be a nail biter if UCONN makes it one.

Reaction Score
While the Milan story is oft told, an equally remarkable feat occurred two years earlier in Illinois
when Hebron (Alden-Hebron H.S.), a school with 98 students defeated Quincy (over a thousand
students) in overtime to win the state basketball championship. Such feats are no longer possible
since the schools are divided into multiple classes based on enrollment for multiple state championships.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While the Milan story is oft told, an equally remarkable feat occurred two years earlier in Illinois
when Hebron (Alden-Hebron H.S.), a school with 98 students defeated Quincy (over a thousand
students) in overtime to win the state basketball championship. Such feats are no longer possible
since the schools are divided into multiple classes based on enrollment for multiple state championships.
Delaware still has just one tournament. I helped at a small public school near the beach and we always had a team that would qualify for the tournament. In Delaware it is public and private, large and small. Sanford a private school near Wilmington won in 2019. (Walter Davis, UNC and NBA star went there)

Reaction Score
New Jersey is separated in groups by size.... 2 non-public and 4 public. But, they have a Tournament of Champions where The 6 winners play to determine the top team in the state.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...and I read this thread why?

Tired Jet Lag GIF by CBC

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And we know the rims are 10 feet off the ground just like they are in Hickory. (Hope they use Nike balls)
They could use hickory balls and I still wouldn't be worried.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom