Can’t believe anyone ever doubted whether we hired the right guy | The Boneyard

Can’t believe anyone ever doubted whether we hired the right guy

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is that my sarcasm detector going off?

Reaction Score
Actually no. There WERE actually people on this board, multiple in fact, questioning Hurley early on. As if correcting the mess that Ollie created would happen overnight. We are now competing and recruiting at an elite level.....just over two years in .

its borderline miraculous

Reaction Score
He’s doing great. There are 4 aspects of great coaching (1) recruiting (2) teaching and motivating, (3) system and strategy and (4) in-game management. He is doing great on 1-2, and 3 and 4 remain works in progress but getting better. As observed, JC simply doesn’t lose against Creighton with 22 seconds on the clock up 4. In the same token, we’d be down 17 with 4 minutes left with KO at the helm. So, yeah, hard to complain.

Reaction Score
It's natural to question when we were still losing. Lol. I loved Hurley's energy from day one but did question some of his decisions early on. Thats natural just like we at times question a star player making a horrid play. But Danny is doing a great job!

As far as recruiting, Uconn being in the Big East has been a boost towards that.

Reaction Score
There were available coaches at the time with more proven half court efficiency.

I wanted Hurley and I'm glad he's here, hot sauce and all

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

No. This guy still ain't won an NCAA game at UConn. You and him combined have the same amount of NCAA tourney wins at UConn as me.

Reaction Score
Ummm, many wanted Shaka Smart. He's not doing too shabby either.....

Reaction Score
It's natural to question when we were still losing. Lol. I loved Hurley's energy from day one but did question some of his decisions early on. Thats natural just like we at times question a star player making a horrid play. But Danny is doing a great job!

As far as recruiting, Uconn being in the Big East has been a boost towards that.
You can’t inherit a sinking ship and expect to right it immediately. Ollie left a burning building. Don’t you people see this???

Reaction Score
You can’t inherit a sinking ship and expect to right it immediately. Ollie left a burning building. Don’t you people see this???
Lol. Why all the emotions? It's a question with my response.

Hurley is doing a very good job thus far but still not proven until he wins consistently, get in tourney and atleast get to a final four at some point. I would prefer a title though within the next 2-5 years

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart was not available in anyone’s wildest dreams. I wish we had Michael Jordan in his prime too. We had the same chance at both.
We could have gotten Shaka instead of Ollie, some people thought he was coming here.

It all worked out, got a National Championship and now have the perfect coach to bring us back to the top

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
He’s doing great. There are 4 aspects of great coaching (1) recruiting (2) teaching and motivating, (3) system and strategy and (4) in-game management. He is doing great on 1-2, and 3 and 4 remain works in progress but getting better. As observed, JC simply doesn’t lose against Creighton with 22 seconds on the clock up 4. In the same token, we’d be down 17 with 4 minutes left with KO at the helm. So, yeah, hard to complain.
I don’t understand how JC has become this myth who never lost a basketball game. JC simply doesn’t lose against a top 10 team when he’s up late? Uhm...what? We had plenty of heartbreakers. Miami comes to mind - up 4 with less than 10 seconds on the clock and they didn’t even need OT to come back and win.

I get that Hurley is still improving in areas but we gotta stop holding him to this impossible “JC would never let that happen” standard.

Reaction Score
Jokes aside, you can listen to Hurley talk for 5 minutes and you know this team is destined to return to greatness. It might not be this year or next. But it will happen. The guy will be among the greats in college basketball history, you can just feel it.

My biggest fear at this point is that he bolts for a job at Kansas, Kentucky, Duke (Probably the only jobs that could conceivably be viewed as major upgrades. But we could probably keep pace financially.). Or the NBA (but he doesn't seem like the type to want that). He feels like he idolizes the greats of college ball, and sees himself as much as a teacher as he does a coach.

Among the greats in college basketball history? I mean, it's possible, but I think this is more a case of overreacting to things like promise, energy, and competence when we haven't had that in a couple years. My gut tells me he's a good coach who won't necessarily always stand out nationally - which is fine.

I shall remember this post forever and relentlessly drag it out in five years :cool:

...And presumably you won’t care because you’ve got a win win situation on this.

But for real. I’m sticking with it. Hall of fame is coming for Hurley like a freight train and UConn is riding that train back to the top.
I wouldn't say there were a lot of doubters. There were definitely a lot of on the fence, "wait and see" people. I saved these posts with the plan to drag them back up in March 2023. It's still a little early, but I'm seeming less crazy by the day.

I'd still put money on Hurley in the hall of fame as a coach by 2040.

Reaction Score
I'm just nervous that Hurley isn't here for the long haul, but these days there are probably no lifer coaches in college basketball anyway. I don't even think Pikiell would've been a lifer here if the NBA came calling. I see us getting back to elite level in a year or two, Hurley leaving and we have another hit or miss hire with our next coach.

Reaction Score
There were certainly a few who doubted that hiring Hurley was the right move, but then again it did follow KO as head coach. I'm sure there were a few who thought after the last championship that we should have locked up Ollie with a 10 year deal instead of 5.

People talk about JC with reverence because he did it for 30ish years in one place, at a place that was an afterthought at the time. Was he perfect as a coach, but he was the perfect coach for the UConn job, and is one of the greatest ever.

I hope Hurley stays and has success for a long time.

Reaction Score
I think hes done an outstanding job. He won 19 games last season which was pretty impressive and this season we are 17 seconds away from being an undefeated top ten team under some pretty touch circumstances. Hes heading in the right direction now hes got to get things rolling. Violence, speed, momemtum lol!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm just nervous that Hurley isn't here for the long haul, but these days there are probably no lifer coaches in college basketball anyway. I don't even think Pikiell would've been a lifer here if the NBA came calling. I see us getting back to elite level in a year or two, Hurley leaving and we have another hit or miss hire with our next coach.
Stick to the present.
It's a gift to do so.

Reaction Score
I don’t see it. I think he’ll be here for a long time. He’s loving the family atmosphere and having his parents so present in his life. Knock on wood, but unless the Knicks, Nets, Celtics or Sixers come calling, I think we’ll be ok. Even then, I think he’s loving UConn and will stay for many years. He tells everyone how cool it is to be the UConn coach.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how JC has become this myth who never lost a basketball game. JC simply doesn’t lose against a top 10 team when he’s up late? Uhm...what? We had plenty of heartbreakers. Miami comes to mind - up 4 with less than 10 seconds on the clock and they didn’t even need OT to come back and win.

I get that Hurley is still improving in areas but we gotta stop holding him to this impossible “JC would never let that happen” standard.
Miami always gave us fits. Especially in their house. I remember one loss to them I couldn't sleep the whole night.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
On his hiring, I wasn't for or against it. Yes, he had RI in the dance. However, our program was a disaster. The only direction was up. So far, it's rising quickly. So far, he is the right man.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reminder, JC had a brutal 3rd year. He had the talent to make the dance but didn’t get it done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom