Can’t afford another poor recruiting class! | The Boneyard

Can’t afford another poor recruiting class!

Reaction Score
The present junior class has produced one starter: safe to say that it was a poor recruiting class. This next recruiting class is critical for Geno’s program... he needs size and potential freshman starters. Losing KLS and NC will be devastating, unless he can make it up with new recruits.

Reaction Score
Next year is far away in a certain way. We will return 3 starters (ND loses 4 starters). And ONO will be much better next year. If we get even one of the two high-school seniors we are after, we will be fine.

Reaction Score
The losses of KLS and Pheesa are going to be very, very hard to deal with. Those are two players who have been huge contributors in their careers, and we even have one of those rare four-year-UConn-starters in KLS.

While 2016 wasn’t a strong class, both 14 and 15 were, ranked #4 and #3, respectively, but consisted of 7 five-stars. Even though we only kept 4/7 members of those two classes, it was at one point seemingly a ton of talent the 2016 class would be playing behind.

2017 was a strong class on paper to follow up the weak 2016 class (ranked #2 with 4 five-stars). Lost one member, and two haven’t showed a whole lot, yet.

I’d just about pencil in Dangerfield, Williams, Walker, and Nelson-Ododa in as starters. By the time they’re juniors the 13th and 29th recruits should be contending for starter spots, and should definitely be more than adequate options for coming off the bench, but it is UConn so that isn’t always the case. Boston or Jones would likely compete for a starting spot right away - alongside the likes of Coombs, Gordon, and Griffin and maybe Touly.

Reaction Score
Yeah losing KLS and Collier will be tough. They were big contributors to this team from day one. Hard to believe their time is up already. It was like last year when Gabby left and it seemed like just yesterday she was a freshman forgetting to bring her left shoe to a game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Losing Lou and Phee and their 5,000 combined career points will be a big hit. If we get Haley and Aliyah plus Aubrey, that will about offset it. If we get only Aubrey, she will have lots of opportunity. I look for Crystal, Megan, and Christyn (at least) to be very, very good next year.

I agree that one year with a weak class can hurt the team's performance. Two years with weak classes likely means little chance at a national championship. I'm optimistic that we will have solid classes the next three years. Fingers crossed re Aliyah and Haley.

I wouldn't call a class with Crystal Dangerfield in it a weak class, even if her classmates may not be impact players. She's a star.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
My oh my....

how many times do we hear this...

Same thing was said when Maya left.......

Same thing was said when Stef and Bria left......

Same thing was said when MoJeff, Tuck, and Stewart left......

Same thing was said when Gabby and Kia left.....

Its basketball. A sport!
Enjoy it and stop being "pessimist" and "worrisome"........

(this is just a general statement and not necessarily the original poster of this thread. Just a theme on the boneyard in the last few years. I often wonder about all these new posters and really how long they have been here).

GO UCONN!!!!

Reaction Score
We have a great starting team. ONO may follow in their steps. Whenever I see the other members on the floor, I dread the 2019-20 season. I never had this feeling before. Not even when DT left. And I stop thinking about our FF streak.

Reaction Score
My oh my....

how many times do we hear this...

Same thing was said when Maya left..

Same thing was said when Stef and Bria left.

Same thing was said when MoJeff, Tuck, and Stewart left.

Same thing was said when Gabby and Kia left.....

Its basketball. A sport!
Enjoy it and stop being "pessimist" and "worrisome"...

(this is just a general statement and not necessarily the original poster of this thread. Just a theme on the boneyard in the last few years. I often wonder about all these new posters and really how long they have been here).

GO UCONN!!!!
It's a sport... and it's a college sport which means players come and go. No one thought we would win much after Stewie, Mo and Tuck left, but 2 final fours. Yes, Lou and Pheesa leave in spring 2019... gotta believe Geno knows that and is working toward a solution. Me... I can wait until Ms. Boston and Ms. Jones ( aka "Baby UCONN") make their announcements before jumping off the proverbial ledge. Head bang;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many proven players did UConn have the season following Tuck's, Jefferson's, and Stewart''s graduation? How good a season did UConn have? There was KLS and Collier as Freshmen their senior year. Next season there will be Dangerfield, Walker, Williams, Ododa, and Coombs as a foundation. Also, there is a stronger incoming class if you can believe Dorf and UH. Griffin, Boston, and Jones is a more talented class than Dangerfield's class. UConn should be in very good shape.

Reaction Score
It's a sport... and it's a college sport which means players come and go. No one thought we would win much after Stewie, Mo and Tuck left, but 2 final fours. Yes, Lou and Pheesa leave in spring 2019... gotta believe Geno knows that and is working toward a solution. Me... I can wait until Ms. Boston and Ms. Jones ( aka "Baby UCONN") make their announcements before jumping off the proverbial ledge. Head bang;)
There is a difference between pessimist and realist. The recruiting class of only Chong cost us at least one NC and probably two. The perennial response of "We'll be fine" makes me nauseous. Sure, we'll be fine if that means winning seasons and final fours, but here we're talking about NCs, nothing less.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between pessimist and realist. The recruiting class of only Chong cost us at least one NC and probably two. The perennial response of "We'll be fine" makes me nauseous. Sure, we'll be fine if that means winning seasons and final fours, but here we're talking about NCs, nothing less.

Except that Chong graduated with more career wins than any other player in UConn history. Hardly a disaster. UConn is not guarenteed an undefeated team and National Championship every year. There's a difference between optimism and being a realist.

Reaction Score
Except that Chong graduated with more career wins than any other player in UConn history. Hardly a disaster. UConn is not guarenteed an undefeated team and National Championship every year. There's a difference between optimism and being a realist.
and, if I remember correctly, Chong and Lawlor were recruited in same class...but Lawlor chose to transfer. tran

Ok... they say the jump off the cliff isn't too bad...but it's the landing that gets you.

As others have posted in other threads... ND and Stanford have done press releases announcing their new recruits BEFORE the early signing period ended...why??? Maybe because they know where those 2 top 10 uncommitteds are going? Gotta let the process play out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The present junior class has produced one starter: safe to say that it was a poor recruiting class. This next recruiting class is critical for Geno’s program... he needs size and potential freshman starters. Losing KLS and NC will be devastating, unless he can make it up with new recruits.

I think its time to panic. Pleaze lighten up!

UConn W BB is here to stay. One recruiting class won t change that. Pluz Griffi will be terrific

Reaction Score
How many proven players did UConn have the season following Tuck's, Jefferson's, and Stewart''s graduation? How good a season did UConn have? There was KLS and Collier as Freshmen their senior year. Next season there will be Dangerfield, Walker, Williams, Ododa, and Coombs as a foundation. Also, there is a stronger incoming class if you can believe Dorf and UH. Griffin, Boston, and Jones is a more talented class than Dangerfield's class. UConn should be in very good shape.

There was also Williams and Nurse on that team and Jones is not going to UConn.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
if I remember correctly, Chong and Lawlor were recruited in same class...but Lawlor chose to transfer.

Lawlor (TLaw) was not recruited in the traditional sense, she and Pulido were UConn students who responded to a request (Tweet?) put out by Stewie to find UConn students with basketball playing experience who could serve as practice game players, who the team was apparently short of. After a period of serving as walk-on practice game players, they were offered positions on a somewhat undermanned team. IIRC, TLAW also finished (along with the Big 3) with four championship rings.

Reaction Score

How could the Chong recruiting class cost 2 championships when she was on 3 championship teams? And if it were not for a poor decision on her part it could have been 4.

Reaction Score
Losing Lou and Phee and their 5,000 combined career points will be a big hit. If we get Haley and Aliyah plus Aubrey, that will about offset it. If we get only Aubrey, she will have lots of opportunity. I look for Crystal, Megan, and Christyn (at least) to be very, very good next year.

I agree that one year with a weak class can hurt the team's performance. Two years with weak classes likely means little chance at a national championship. I'm optimistic that we will have solid classes the next three years. Fingers crossed re Aliyah and Haley.

I wouldn't call a class with Crystal Dangerfield in it a weak class, even if her classmates may not be impact players. She's a star.
Aubrey could be a diamond in the rough. Still disappointed UConn offered. Otherwise she was L’ville’s to lose. That was a gut punch

Reaction Score
How could the Chong recruiting class cost 2 championships when she was on 3 championship teams? And if it were not for a poor decision on her part it could have been 4.
Give Morgan William some credit. She made a great play.

Reaction Score

if UConn is fortunate enough to enroll Boston and Jones along with Griffin they will be set up to dominate for a long time...............add one of the premier point guards from the 2020 class along with another top forward and shooting guard and the team will be absolutely stacked..........should UConn swing and miss on those two then they will be tissue thin next year and totally dependent on a strong recruiting class in 2020.......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine UConn missing on Jones AND Boston. This program is too good for that to happen. I’m not emotionally invested. It’s 85% they get one of them and 45% they get both and only that low because Jones is a Cali girl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom