Cameron Reddish Update 7/14/17 | The Boneyard

Cameron Reddish Update 7/14/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reddish is almost certainly going to Duke and he is almost certainly a one and done.

Seems like a great kid, would love to see him at UConn, but not going to spend a minute sweating it if he doesn't.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
^ are comments like these even enlightening anymore? Anyone with even the lightest grasp on the pulse of this sport knows the status quo in recruiting right now.

Right now, top 10 kids do not come to UConn to play for the current staff in the current conference, ESPECIALLY if the kid has one and done aspirations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reddish is almost certainly going to Duke and he is almost certainly a one and done.

Seems like a great kid, would love to see him at UConn, but not going to spend a minute sweating it if he doesn't.

Joy of following recruiting. Most of these kids do not end up at uconn

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I really, really do not care about the one and done players - most of them skip across the college basketball pond without leaving much of a ripple.

Jalen Carey? I care a lot. Cam Reddish? Eh. Love to see it happen, but really, give me Carey and Mucius for three years and we're better off.

Reaction Score
I really, really do not care about the one and done players - most of them skip across the college basketball pond without leaving much of a ripple.

Jalen Carey? I care a lot. Cam Reddish? Eh. Love to see it happen, but really, give me Carey and Mucius for three years and we're better off.

I agree 100%

Reaction Score

This x1000, which begs the question...why waste the time and resources on these types of players? Is it a perception thing? Is it a relationship building tactic with AAU programs? Would it be just to increase visibility of a school's ability to put players in the league? It seems like the most logical thing would be to spend the majority if not all time on the 3 and 4 star players that will stay with your program more than a year and have a much bigger impact on your program.

Reaction Score

it would be nice if the staff thought this way. why they waste their energy on some of these kids is beyond me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not at all.

Daniels, Giffey, and Boatright teamed up with Napier to comprise perhaps the best example of the kind of veteran team chemistry I'm talking about.

Switch Napier '14 with Kemba '11 and we have one less championship.
Not sure about that - Bazz was simply unbelievable, as was Kemba, hard to say with any sense of certainty that Bazz would not have won it all in '11 if he played as he did in '14 and the same with Kemba if roles were reversed. Each was special. As was Ben and Okafor in '04

Reaction Score
Because if they didn't we would hear crap why aren't they - damned if they do damned if they don't
I sure hope the coaches aren't listing to the boneyard

BUConn10

Reaction Score
This x1000, which begs the question...why waste the time and resources on these types of players? Is it a perception thing? Is it a relationship building tactic with AAU programs? Would it be just to increase visibility of a school's ability to put players in the league? It seems like the most logical thing would be to spend the majority if not all time on the 3 and 4 star players that will stay with your program more than a year and have a much bigger impact on your program.
It's absolutely a perception thing. You aren't a top program if you don't get consideration from the top players.

Reaction Score
My take: No one and dones go to the American Conference. If we were in the ACC it'd be a completely different story for us. Do I prefer one and dones over 2-4 year guys, well no. But then again it's good to have them for NBA exposure for recruits.

UConn fans on the American Conference:

IMG_6692.PNG

Reaction Score

I agree with this to an extent. Reddish was never coming to UConn. The program doesn't have that kind of capital right now. I'd hope that our recruiters are spending ample time on guys like Carey and the next tier down from the 5* potentially one and done players. However, I think if you have an early relationship with them you have to keep trying. As some have pointed out it helps to be mentioned by those players and be seen in the hunt for them. While the coaches are recruiting them they are also watching other good D1 talent on their teams. It exposes them to other players who turn out to be good college talent.

Reaction Score
The idea that we shouldn't care about top ten players is misguided and I would imagine the idea that most of them do not make a ripple in college basketball is unfounded.

And if you're goal is to flourish with four star, then the best way to do that is by stocking as many players in the pros as possible.

Good luck building a powerhouse in the AAC without NBA players.

Reaction Score
Reddish is probably a pipe dream. He's a duke.

But to not go after ANY five stars is crazy. This is uconn for God's sake. We have an elite recruiter in chillious.

We are not even in on the conversation with the kids. If a young man says he's interested and he's talented you recruit him.

Id be quite pleased with a carrigan, Carey, mucius and a couple 3 stars for a class. But id be ecstatic to bring home shittu (who seems to be the only 5 star were really after.) If chillious is still after him obviously he's reciprocated interest at some point

Reaction Score

I actually agree 100%
UConn historically needs 3 years minimum.
We were fortunate to get 4 from Bazz, Bost, Giffey, and even Brimah,Facey,and Purvis especially since we had so many poor recruiting classes.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I agree with above. Focus on the guys that are more likely and will stay for 2-3 years.

However - Reddish has spoken very highly of Kevin Ollie if I remember correctly. Maybe one of these big time recruits just connects with Ollie. It's possible they connect enough for a guy like him to come in and dominate the AAC for a year.

As long as the staff is doing what they need to do to get some of these guys in the Carey, Mucius, Carrigan tier I'm fine with them putting a bit of effort to try to land a blue chipper.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let's stop recruiting great players, because projects are always guaranteed.

Why just stop recruiting reddish? It's not as if we can't recruit someone like him and someone like mucius at the same time.

Reaction Score
This x1000, which begs the question...why waste the time and resources on these types of players?
Because if you put a few lottery picks into the league, it makes future recruiting – of any players – that much easier. We got top 25 or 30-ish PGs (Jalen & Alterique) just recently, and I'm guessing they heard the name "Kemba" more than once during their recruitment.

Getting Reddish for a year makes it easier to get Jaiden Delaire, etc etc, for 3.

That said: No one should ever stress about a 5-star kid here ever again. It's really the Carey, Mucius, etc level players who are the lifeblood of our program.

Reaction Score
I agree with above. Focus on the guys that are more likely and will stay for 2-3 years.

However - Reddish has spoken very highly of Kevin Ollie if I remember correctly. Maybe one of these big time recruits just connects with Ollie. It's possible they connect enough for a guy like him to come in and dominate the AAC for a year.
Chill got Fultz to come to UW, in the Pac-12, to go 9-22 in his lone year. This kind of thing IS possible, albeit rare.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Let's stop recruiting great players, because projects are always guaranteed.

Why just stop recruiting reddish? It's not as if we can't recruit someone like him and someone like mucius at the same time.
Yea but how tough is this kid? How bad does he want to be UConn tough? Has he ever been photographed laughing or smiling? Because we don't want those kinds here, they tend to want relationships and things of that nature before they transfer.

Reaction Score

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky