2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As the kids would say, "cringe."

I was referring to the idea that someone actually thinks this would be a good sales pitch outside of the basketball program.
It's not for most kids. But you're an LA guy, and I remember an outside the lines ESPN did about Bill McCarthy recruiting most of Colorado's football teams from LA. It was interesting in that his staff built relationships with the gang leaders as much as parents, but the pitch was very much - I can get him away from all of this and help him avoid trouble and succeed. Boulder is obviously much less boring, but it is still quite different. Kevin Ollie mentioned that as part of his reasons for choosing UConn. I imagine there are some non-athletes who also like the less urban aspect of things in Storrs. I would find it weird if anybody had both UConn and NYU on their list. I think UConn has more of a family atmosphere than most schools, which does foster school spirit compared to somebody at a place like BU.

Reaction Score
You think "trust us, this place is so freaking boring you'll have nothing to do but study" is a good sales pitch to your average 18 year old?
We are not recruiting average 18 year olds. We are recruiting 18 year olds who have a dream of playing at the next level.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's not for most kids. But you're an LA guy, and I remember an outside the lines ESPN did about Bill McCarthy recruiting most of Colorado's football teams from LA. It was interesting in that his staff built relationships with the gang leaders as much as parents, but the pitch was very much - I can get him away from all of this and help him avoid trouble and succeed. Boulder is obviously much less boring, but it is still quite different. Kevin Ollie mentioned that as part of his reasons for choosing UConn. I imagine there are some non-athletes who also like the less urban aspect of things in Storrs. I would find it weird if anybody had both UConn and NYU on their list. I think UConn has more of a family atmosphere than most schools, which does foster school spirit compared to somebody at a place like BU.

There was a pipeline from Compton to Lincoln, NE for many years IIRC

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You think "trust us, this place is so freaking boring you'll have nothing to do but study" is a good sales pitch to your average 18 year old?
Not necessarily, but their parents would eat it up. Believe it.

Reaction Score
If UCLA can and in fact is required to pay players directly next year, that could be big dollars for Spencer. The pot of money is based on comparison to 2021 I think, and the move to the Big Ten for more money would be a windfall for UCLA players in all sports. Its passed the California House and is going to the California Senate. You have to believe Cronin is using this possibility/probability to assure we don't get a commitment before a UCLA visit and clarification of this law. Talk about changing the NIL playing field. (WSJ article today)

Reaction Score
If UCLA can and in fact is required to pay players directly next year, that could be big dollars for Spencer. The pot of money is based on comparison to 2021 I think, and the move to the Big Ten for more money would be a windfall for UCLA players in all sports. Its passed the California House and is going to the California Senate. You have to believe Cronin is using this possibility/probability to assure we don't get a commitment before a UCLA visit and clarification of this law. Talk about changing the NIL playing field. (WSJ article today)
This isn’t something that will pass in a week. The WSJ article says it’s going to be a big debate in the state senate. That’s gonna take months

Reaction Score
I'm a Colorado grad and I was there for the early McCartney years. McCartney and Calhoun share a bunch of similiarites in creating an "us versus them" mindset and seeking out players with enormous chips on their shoulders but Boulder and Storrs aren't really comparable in quality of life. In fact, one of McCartney's biggest selling points was why would you want to live/play in Nebraska when you could be in Boulder. Sometimes, it worked as Colorado competed for three national champions and one won in the early 90's but Nebraska won two in a similar time period. The point is sometimes, kids just want to focus on getting better as Ray Allen once said and locations like Storrs, Waco and even Lawrence are less apt to provide the distractions of cities like Boulder, Austin, Chapel Hill, etc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a Colorado grad and I was there for the early McCartney years. McCartney and Calhoun share a bunch of similiarites in creating an "us versus them" mindset and seeking out players with enormous chips on their shoulders but Boulder and Storrs aren't really comparable in quality of life. In fact, one of McCartney's biggest selling points was why would you want to live/play in Nebraska when you could be in Boulder. Sometimes, it worked as Colorado competed for three national champions and one won in the early 90's but Nebraska won two in a similar time period. The point is sometimes, kids just want to focus on getting better as Ray Allen once said and locations like Storrs, Waco and even Lawrence are less apt to provide the distractions of cities like Boulder, Austin, Chapel Hill, etc.
Lawrence and Boulder are about the same size. Both are bigger than Chapel Hill. Waco is bigger than either of them. Austin, yes, that’s a city with the distractions and crime of one. Lincoln is too, more than twice the size of Boulder. But all those college towns lack that things that a kid from a rough neighborhood in a big city wants to avoid. Storrs lacks most everything unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Nobody has a cousin whose brother played AAU ball with him?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom