Calling All Veteran BYers! Tell us about the RIVALRY from your perspective | The Boneyard

Calling All Veteran BYers! Tell us about the RIVALRY from your perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m just an avid sports fan. WCBB happens to be my favorite sport right now. Started out just loving DT. Now I’m all in. I didn’t live the rivalry like some of you guys did. I watched DT and pulled for UConn. Now it’s religion.
Take a break from busting my chops and others and tell us about the rivalry from where you sit. Anecdotes, stories, trips. Time for some nostalgia. Help us get our game faces on for Thursday.
I wish I knew more about Geno’s relationship with Pat during the heated days. Was Geno ever out-of-line? Was it ever kind of hype or a schtik?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Pat was very gracious in helping Geno get the UConn program up to speed. She booked home-and-home annual series. Later, after UConn became a serious rival, she was not, I think, that happy with what she had accomplished. In my humble opinion, Pat was as successful as she was, not because she was a great coach in terms of on-court strategy, but because she was one of the first, along with Leon Barmore at La. Tech, to realize the potential of women's basketball. Pat's strategy seemed to me to be to recruit tremendous athletes, as tall as possible, and beat other teams into the ground with rebounding at both ends of the court. Geno was MUCH more logical and scientific. It made for a very interesting contrast in styles of play.
I do not think there was any large amount of hype involved in the rivalry; each was dedicated to beating the other on the court, and, of course, both programs benefitted from the very public rivalry. The relationship remained relatively cordial and mutually respectful until the recruiting of Maya Moore, which Pat took very hard, and accused Geno of unspecified dirty dealing. I may get blown up for saying this, but it looked to me as if Pat's early onset mental problems clouded her judgement and made her say things that she otherwise would not have said. I always felt that it should not be held against her.
I can't remember when the home-and-home series changed from two games a year to one, but after the Maya incident Pat refused to book any more games
The fan rivalry was partly bs, but partly very real. At that time the UT fan board was The Summit, and much more vitriol was posted against Geno than Nan would have allowed on the Boneyard. Some really nasty personal remarks, which, of course, UConn fans greatly resented. Some of us actually went so far as to join The Summit to fire back, but we were mostly offed in short order.
Wow! I had no intention of going on at such length. And again, these are only my impressions, and may be very different from those of other fans. I have been following the Huskies pretty much since the Shea Ralph era, and really got hooked when my wife became, for a couple of years, the liason from an academic department at UConn to the Athletic
Department. We generally got unused student tickets to sit in the Parents' section, and got fairly acquainted with some of the players' folks. The thing I remember most about that was someone's mom saying; "Sue is always thinking two plays ahead, but Diana doesn't think at all; she doesn't have to!"

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Of course he was out of line - from an orange perspective. After all here was this upstart wise ass Yankee that didn't genuflect at the Pat Summitt altar. Not only that but his teams were kicking UTenn arse all over the court.

When Summitt cancelled the UConn rivalry there were several rumors, mostly about the recruiting of Maya Moore and then there was the bullsh**t list of supposed violations by UConn that was submitted by the SEC to the NCAA. I think most UConn fans believe that wouldn't have happened if Summitt hadn't blessed it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In short, here's Tennessee:

1674687384196.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics