OT: - Calling all Philly experts | The Boneyard

OT: Calling all Philly experts

Reaction Score
We're planning an all-too-brief visit to Philly, my favorite city. Lived there for 5 years, but haven't been back for more than 10. The primary reason for going is a concert (our favorite, Mark Knopfler, at The Met), and we will, as always, visit Independence Hall and spend an afternoon at the Zoo. So all the stuff that's been there for years -- the Franklin Institute, the museums, the Italian Market -- we don't have to do those, as much as we might want to.

My question, for those of you who either live there, or go there often, or know the place well, or whatever:
What's new in the last 10 years that's must-see? We're not planning on driving anywhere, so nothing in the burbs.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
The Barnes Foundation has a relatively new location and more space to show off its artwork, although the move into the city in 2012 did come with some controversy.

Reaction Score
Watch some rowing regattas on the Skuykill River. Beautiful events, and should have some even in the summer!

The lights on the boathouses along the river are lit up in the evenings in the color months, and it's a wondrous sight!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'll just throw this out there in case you get rained out. I love the US Constitution Center but I recognize that it could seem pretty dry if you don't have a interest.

Reaction Score
Italian Market is in South Philly. Fun place to visit and some good Italian rest. And the two rival cheesesteak places are there, Pats and Genos. Hamilton is playing at the Forrest theater through mid August or so. Tix may be gone by now.

I agree that the "new" Barnes on the Parkway is a must see.

There has been alot of building/change in 10 years so you may not recognize some things. The Penn and Drexel campuses overlap. lots of new buildings at Temple.

Have fun.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
the museum of the american revolution is only a little more than a year old (in old city not far from independence hall). in the summer, there are also a number of neat pop-up outdoor parks on the Delaware River with food, arcade games etc. One is called Spruce St. Harbor Park, the other, right nearby is called BlueCross Summerfest or something like that

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
We're planning an all-too-brief visit to Philly, my favorite city. Lived there for 5 years, but haven't been back for more than 10. The primary reason for going is a concert (our favorite, Mark Knopfler, at The Met), and we will, as always, visit Independence Hall and spend an afternoon at the Zoo. So all the stuff that's been there for years -- the Franklin Institute, the museums, the Italian Market -- we don't have to do those, as much as we might want to.

My question, for those of you who either live there, or go there often, or know the place well, or whatever:
What's new in the last 10 years that's must-see? We're not planning on driving anywhere, so nothing in the burbs.

Thanks in advance.

The Penn State Institute of Contemporary Art, on 36th St between Walnut & Sansom, has rotating exhibitions I have always found interesting.

The dancing fountain outside and the ~100-foot-wide video screen inside the Comcast Technology Center on Arch Street were fascinating.

No matter how many times I visit Philadelphia, the Rodin Museum is always a magnet.

The displays at the Independence Seaport Museum and the tours of the nearby Cruiser Olympia and Submarine Becuna were engaging, Dinner onboard one of the three nearby floating restaurants was a good sunset.

The last two aren't new, but beside the historical sites, they're my favorites.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Barnes Foundation has a relatively new location and more space to show off its artwork, although the move into the city in 2012 did come with some controversy.
I second the Barnes if you've never been. It's one of a kind.

Reaction Score
Thnaks, everyone.

We're going with a friend who will be there for the first time, so that'll influence some of our choices. I've been to the art museum but not the Barnes, so I'll lobby for that, and I'd like to get to the waterfront.

These days especially, the Constitution seems so damn important but you're right -- I remember that the Constitution Center can be a touch dry and would be a hard sell with my companions, so we'll settle for Independence Hall.

But we're all Franklin fans, so we will do the Franklin Museum, but not the Franklin Institute. And of course, the Zoo. Always the Zoo!

Reaction Score
Particularly if with a first timer, Reading Terminal Market always has new foodie choices. Off hour best-can be crowded and intimidating if you don't know the options.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Excellent zoo, one of many we have enjoyed.

This is an odd option, and you may not be in the area, but the Wanamaker Organ is a must see if you are into organs, they do a daily short recital sometime around noon-ish. Never been (to the daily recital) but have attended some of the full concerts (some with orchestra) that they put on on "Wanamaker Organ Day" and select other dates, some after the store closes.

Have to give Macy's credit for their on-going support.

Reaction Score
I've heard it at Christmastime. Dopn't know if we would have time on this trip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom