Callan out | The Boneyard

Callan out

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Much agreed. Thread title should be changed.

The hacks at Yahoo are living up to their name as well. The article does little more than regurgitate the Nneka issue in an attempt to imply that Callan is retiring because of it. Just a total hatchet job.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I agree it's incredibly misleading; but this is also what happens when you make a controversial decision on the Olympic roster, refuse to say anything about it (either about the players who made or missed the team), allow the controversy to continue unabated, and then the next thing that's announced is you are leaving your current position.

Team USA insistence on saying nothing about their own Olympic team does no one any favors, imo.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree it's incredibly misleading; but this is also what happens when you make a controversial decision on the Olympic roster, refuse to say anything about it (either about the players who made or missed the team), allow the controversy to continue unabated, and then the next thing that's announced is you are leaving your current position.

Team USA insistence on saying nothing about their own Olympic team does no one any favors, imo.
As others have asked, what exactly is the committee supposed to say? "We didn't select so-and-so because of reasons X, Y and Z"? It doesn't work that way because it can't work that way.

Absolutely nothing they might say is going to mollify the haters or assuage the understandable disappointment of Nneka, her circle, and her fans.

"Allow the controversy to continue unabated": Again, just how are they supposed to "abate" it?

And no, I don't give a pass on this one. To imply that the controversy is forcing Callan out is willfully dishonest.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As others have asked, what exactly is the committee supposed to say? "We didn't select so-and-so because of reasons X, Y and Z"? It doesn't work that way because it can't work that way.

Absolutely nothing they might say is going to mollify the haters or assuage the understandable disappointment of Nneka, her circle, and her fans.

"Allow the controversy to continue unabated": Again, just how are they supposed to "abate" it?

And no, I don't give a a pass on this one. To imply that the controversy is forcing Callan out is willfully dishonest.
Why can't it work that way? USA Basketball did a press call with reporters in 2016 when Candace didn't make it. There will always be haters, but at the very least USA basketball can help put to bed some of the more egregious rumors/conspiracy theories. Instead, when you have silence from USA Basketball, Curt Miller practically running away from a question, and GEno implying that if it was just his call he'd be fine talking; it makes it seem like they have something to hide .

How hard is it for Carol Callhan to get on a call and say, "Look, we love Nneka, she's been a huge staple for team USA and is an amazing ambassador for the game. But we felt that we had players on the team who bring similar skill sets to her, and given her uncertain health status, our priority was getting more perimeter defense/outside shooting/whatever. These are tough calls, and unfortunately we always have to leave great players home. But our job is to build the best team to win a gold medal, and we believe the team we've put together will do that."

Follow up: So you're saying she was left off because of her injury? Why did you put DT on then?
Answer: WE evaluate every player both individually and on what their skill set brings to the team. We look at EVERY player's health, but it's not the only thing we are looking at.

Q: Some are saying you're using a double standard here.
A: I respectfully disagree. We are looking at all factors to try and build the best team to win a gold. There are always tough calls to make; we can't bring everyone we'd like to.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So you are saying that she deserves a misleading article as punishment?

That's an interesting take.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I'm not saying she deserves anything as "punishment." But there are consequences when you refuse to be transparent with the press/public.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Why can't it work that way? USA Basketball did a press call with reporters in 2016 when Candace didn't make it. There will always be haters, but at the very least USA basketball can help put to bed some of the more egregious rumors/conspiracy theories.
But in no scenario, not even in your imaginary ideal conversation, would anything they say quiet the conspiracy theorists. The haters would just accuse them of lying. What little has been said about Nneka's situation has already been met with accusations of dishonesty (or, I quote, "BS"). Nothing is made better from that.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom