Call me Crazy | The Boneyard

Call me Crazy

Reaction Score
Like the title says, I may be crazy and in the minority here, but as we have been discussing since yesterday, we need more strength. This entire time I've been calling for Bouk to start over Polley, but after seeing yesterday's game, I think we need Sid starting against these bigger and stronger conference opponents, which I'm pretty sure is every single team in the American.
I would still love to see Bouk start, but it's so hard to take Vital out, and you really cant take AG out and have Bouk and Vital start together. So for now, I think that may be the answer we need.
Sid was an immediate impact on the game yesterday. He immediately gives you a rebounding and blocking presence, and gives you crazy athleticism for slashing and on fast break big time dunks and athletic plays, And 1 finishes, etc.
I love the minutes Bouk got yesterday at 27, and if it means Polley only getting 12-14 minutes, I think that's ok. Hes a deadly weapon and can be very useful against 2nd string guys. Also, I was very encouraged seeing Bouk, Gaffney, Sid, and Akok playing together. They look like a legitimate contender with that kind of lineup. I would personally be happy to see all 4 of those guys get more minutes together and maybe even start together a little later in the season.
So, am I crazy here??

Reaction Score
You’re not crazy, at least I don’t think so. At this point, everything should be on the table. Sid played only 12 minutes yesterday, the least of anybody on the team outside of Carlton who played 11. For some reason, he has not played much over the last 4-5 games. The bottom line is, somebody needs to step up. We are averaging 55.5 ppg in our first two AAC games we played. That needs to improve. I don’t care how good our defense becomes, you’re not beating anybody if you struggle to break 60 every game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
well, im certainly a 'more time for sid guy,' so there's that. as to the game, it seems coachs' message to josh was 'sit down, and think about why you are sitting down, given your talent and future.' with tyler, I think it's more 'sit down, im done. James, your career as a starter begins now.' coach knows ball.

Reaction Score
I said it before the season started that Sid's development was critical to the success of this team this year.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Like the title says, I may be crazy and in the minority here, but as we have been discussing since yesterday, we need more strength. This entire time I've been calling for Bouk to start over Polley, but after seeing yesterday's game, I think we need Sid starting against these bigger and stronger conference opponents, which I'm pretty sure is every single team in the American.
I would still love to see Bouk start, but it's so hard to take Vital out, and you really cant take AG out and have Bouk and Vital start together. So for now, I think that may be the answer we need.
Sid was an immediate impact on the game yesterday. He immediately gives you a rebounding and blocking presence, and gives you crazy athleticism for slashing and on fast break big time dunks and athletic plays, And 1 finishes, etc.
I love the minutes Bouk got yesterday at 27, and if it means Polley only getting 12-14 minutes, I think that's ok. Hes a deadly weapon and can be very useful against 2nd string guys. Also, I was very encouraged seeing Bouk, Gaffney, Sid, and Akok playing together. They look like a legitimate contender with that kind of lineup. I would personally be happy to see all 4 of those guys get more minutes together and maybe even start together a little later in the season.
So, am I crazy here??
No you are not. If you are smaller and weaker you better be faster and more skilled. We were neither against USF.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think the first, and most important part of the answer is figuring out what is wrong with Carlton, and fixing it. There are bigs coming up that will eat our lightweights alive, while the Carlton we saw mid-season last year would at least offer some resistance and scoring. We even saw glimpses this year. And then something just destroyed him. I was willing to blame the weight increase for a while, but now I'm thinking it's in his head. Maybe confidence just plummeted due to the poorer performance with the new body. But without a serviceable real big, we're going nowhere, so that's got to be fixed, and fast.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A Vital, Adams, Bouknight, Sid, Akok lineup is a wildly athletic lineup. We lose a little shooting and ball handling but not much.
I would love to see that lineup
That was a line up for part of the second half and Akok wasn't able to play the five effectively from my perspective. He was easily moved away from the basket. What did I miss?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That was a line up for part of the second half and Akok wasn't able to play the five effectively from my perspective. He was easily moved away from the basket. What did I miss?
What you miss is the point that a one off tossed together lineup is different than one that practices together even if it’s the same guys. Go to a zone defense (gasp) and have Akok block everything.

Reaction Score
At this point have to give Carlton a chance and hope he and the coaches can figure it out. Still say go after people like Cincy did full court and use the 10 we got and hang our hats on defense-real defense.
No more soft double teams-let's double team like we mean it. The doubles look like we're at the prom.

Reaction Score
Do we still have no idea why Sid sat for 3(?) games ?
Because hes not very good? I mean seriously this guy is one of the worst basketball players ive seen at Uconn in my 30 years of being a fan. Its like he has no clue how to play the game and is just out there because of his athleticism.

Reaction Score
Because hes not very good? I mean seriously this guy is one of the worst basketball players ive seen at Uconn in my 30 years of being a fan. Its like he has no clue how to play the game and is just out there because of his athleticism.

And what, Carlton is out there cause of his basketball skills? He's got a lot of upside, I'm fine with him coming in for spurts during the game.

Reaction Score
And what, Carlton is out there cause of his basketball skills? He's got a lot of upside, I'm fine with him coming in for spurts during the game.
come on man Carlton has some skills. It may not be much but its more than Sid has ever shown which is my very point. Carlton looks like Kareem compared to Sid. I hate to seem harsh but its just facts and anyone expecting much from him is really reaching.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
come on man Carlton has some skills. It may not be much but its more than Sid has ever shown which is my very point. Carlton looks like Kareem compared to Sid. I hate to seem harsh but its just facts and anyone expecting much from him is really reaching.
The gap between Sid’s athleticism and Carlton’s skill is light years.

Reaction Score

what do you think of the guys we have out there who play worse than him?

Reaction Score
what do you think of the guys we have out there who play worse than him?
As bad as they are hed be worse. Do you think he could hit 3s like Polley? Bring Akoks constant effort? Score or rebound like Carlton? Score like CV? OK you got me on AG lol!

Reaction Score
As bad as they are hed be worse. Do you think he could hit 3s like Polley? Bring Akoks constant effort? Score or rebound like Carlton? Score like CV? OK you got me on AG lol!

I think he plays pretty hard. Guards and offensive and defensive rebounds. can’t shoot or dribble no doubt. Maybe we combine him and Polley somehow?

Reaction Score
I think he plays pretty hard. Guards and offensive and defensive rebounds. can’t shoot or dribble no doubt. Maybe we combine him and Polley somehow?
Thats what id like to see Sid do. Just go 100% on the defensive end, rebound and run the floor. Those things are all about effort and that could help this team. This is why I think he isnt getting playing time. Maybe hes not giving the effort in practice DH would like.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Carlton and Polly and Bouk all get to start over Sid. Why? Because they run the plays.

Sid has no shot outside of 5 feet. He elevates beautifully and then fires a line drive in the general direction of the hoop.

Sid is a defensive catastrophe. Watch how many times he turns his back on his own man to try and poach a block.

Based on sheer athletic ability Sid should/could be a total monster at both ends of the floor. Potentially a POY candidate. But ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom