OT: Calipari | The Boneyard

OT: Calipari

Reaction Score
Everyone buys it though. They eat it up.

Did you hear him yell, “You better fracking make these.”, to one of his players as he went to the line in the last minute? The announcers got a kick out of that technique. Apply even more pressure to the kid.

Reaction Score
Has any other coach done less with more?
I don't get this. His tournament results are legit.

8 Full seasons (might add to it this year, so who knows)

6 E8s
4 Final Fours
1 Title.

You'd probably like another title out of that, but he has as many Final Fours out of Kentucky in 9 years as Calhoun had at UConn in his career. But 75% of his seasons, he's finished as one of the best 8 teams. 50% he's finished as one of the best 4. Give me that.

Reaction Score

6 E8s
4 Final Fours
1 Title.

You'd probably like another title out of that, but he has as many Final Fours out of Kentucky in 9 years as Calhoun had at UConn in his career. But 75% of his seasons, he's finished as one of the best 8 teams. 50% he's finished as one of the best 4. Give me that.
Yeah, I’d sell a kidney if it meant guaranteeing those results over the next 9 years for us.

Reaction Score
What do we criticize him for good recruiting? He gets such ranked and talented players that they’re one and done and it takes most of the season to improve the team. The idea that they aren’t wnning the title or not getting to enough final fours is nuts.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Guy knows how to work a room like no man.

Reaction Score

6 E8s
4 Final Fours
1 Title.

I think you're missing the point. Of course he gets results.....because he gets the best recruits every year. But when they fail, he trots out the "they're only 18 years old" excuse. Well, whose fault is that?? He's such a . If they win, it's because of his mastery. If they lose, it's because they're all freshman. It's a major fraud being perpetrated right in front of everyone's eyes, and he's gotten away with it for a decade now. Not enough bad can happen to him if you ask me.

Reaction Score
The ultimate "snake oil salesman". Always promoting himself and has done an excellent job of conning the media and the kids he recruits but, hey, that's what people want today.
Hype rules.

There was an act he used a number of times in his earlier days. When a major job opened up his agent would put out a news release stating some variant of the following, "There is no truth to the rumors that John will be leaving X to take the Y job".

Of course, there was no offer, nor was there any discussion with him, but the impression was given that big time schools were after him thus adding to the aura of him being a good coach in great demand. It worked. When you consistently have a roster with 10 to 12 McDonald's All-Americans you should get to the Elite 8 a bunch of times.

Reaction Score
Hey if it works, why change the routine?

Kentucky won't get past Zona and 75 percent of his team will declare for the NBA draft.

He created this monster, now he has to live with the only system that can bring him success.

Eventually you can catch lightning and go deep into the tourney. Not this year.

Too bad, so sad for Kentucky fans. Hope they didn't spend too much on the 2018 championship tattoos.

Reaction Score
For a guaranteed 6 Elite 8’s, 4 Final 4’s, and a championship over the next 9 years? From where we are currently? I wouldn’t care if we had an entirely new team every game.
Don't get me wrong, those results are great. I just think I'd care a whole lot less about the team in general. Different strokes...

Reaction Score
I think you're missing the point. Of course he gets results.....because he gets the best recruits every year. But when they fail, he trots out the "they're only 18 years old" excuse. Well, whose fault is that?? He's such a . If they win, it's because of his mastery. If they lose, it's because they're all freshman. It's a major fraud being perpetrated right in front of everyone's eyes, and he's gotten away with it for a decade now. Not enough bad can happen to him if you ask me.
He doesn't take credit when they win. He's a , but he gets results. It's a 1-game tournament; freakish things happen. 2010 and 2015 jump out, both of which he had the best team (one year undefeated) and had freakish losses vs. West Virginia and then Wisconsin.

How many titles or Final Fours would be "successful," given that UNC, Duke, Arizona, and Kansas also get pretty much whoever they want.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, those results are great. I just think I'd care a whole lot less about the team in general. Different strokes...
“It’s all about UConn on our chests, not the names on our backs.”

Reaction Score
He doesn't take credit when they win. He's a , but he gets results. It's a 1-game tournament; freakish things happen. 2010 and 2015 jump out, both of which he had the best team (one year undefeated) and had freakish losses vs. West Virginia and then Wisconsin.

How many titles or Final Fours would be "successful," given that UNC, Duke, Arizona, and Kansas also get pretty much whoever they want.
You have either been living under a rock or are somehow related to the Calipari family. This has been his schtick for 10 years now. It is as transparent as Saran Wrap.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hey if it works, why change the routine?

Kentucky won't get past Zona and 75 percent of his team will declare for the NBA draft.

He created this monster, now he has to live with the only system that can bring him success.

Eventually you can catch lightning and go deep into the tourney. Not this year.

Too bad, so sad for Kentucky fans. Hope they didn't spend too much on the 2018 championship tattoos.

Good thing they won't have to play zona.

Reaction Score
For a guaranteed 6 Elite 8’s, 4 Final 4’s, and a championship over the next 9 years? From where we are currently? I wouldn’t care if we had an entirely new team every game.

I laughed out loud at this.

Reaction Score

6 E8s
4 Final Fours
1 Title.

Guess the only real counter to that is him needing a generational guy in Davis to win his lone title, and not winning the title with that Towns/Booker squad or not making the final 4 with Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Me too. I like seeing players and teams develop. As a fan, I think it's much more rewarding to follow teams that develop an identity and that takes time. I absolutely want success but not at the cost of clearing the roster and reloading every season. I'm sure I'd watch if that was the case but I would be less interested.

Reaction Score
What do we criticize him for good recruiting? He gets such ranked and talented players that they’re one and done and it takes most of the season to improve the team. The idea that they aren’t wnning the title or not getting to enough final fours is nuts.
UK has more money than Arizona.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Things be so bad round here that people liking the squid. Oh Lordy me.

Reaction Score
Guess the only real counter to that is him needing a generational guy in Davis to win his lone title, and not winning the title with that Towns/Booker squad or not making the final 4 with Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe.
But everyone loses with teams that are the best in a single elimination tournament. JC in 1994 with Donyell Marshall, for instance, or our 1996 or 2006 team. Wacky things happen in the NCAAs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom